NCL LATITUDES: Do you earn extra Latitudes points if you book 2 rooms vs. 1 room?

PalmBeach4

We are a family of 4 (2 ADULTS + 2 KIDS)  We are NCL PLATINUM.  2 ADULTS earn Latitudes Points under our specific Latitudes #'s  + 2 KIDS (no Latitudes accounts.)  We cruise 2-3 times per year & we have always booked 1 room.

*I found a cruise where I want to book 2 rooms vs. 1 room.

**2 rooms of 1 adult + 1 kid per each room is cheaper overall than 4 people in 1 room. So this is why I am asking the following questions: 

QUESTION #1 : Do you earn extra latitudes points for booking 2 rooms?

QUESTION #2: If the answer is yes to the above question, is there a way in which I must book this? Example: Do you need to book both rooms at the same time to qualify for any additional points? Must I book with NCL vs. my normal online booking? Can 1 adult and 1 child be booked in each of the 2 rooms, or must both adults be on each room booking to qualify? 

QUESTION #3: Has anyone done this, and what are the specifics on this?

Thank you for any tips from those who know...

Just now, PalmBeach4 said:

We are a family of 4 (2 ADULTS + 2 KIDS)  We are NCL PLATINUM.  2 ADULTS earn Latitudes Points under our specific Latitudes #'s  + 2 KIDS (no Latitudes accounts.)  We cruise 2-3 times per year & we have always booked 1 room.

*I found a cruise where I want to book 2 rooms vs. 1 room.

**2 rooms of 1 adult + 1 kid per each room is cheaper overall than 4 people in 1 room. So this is why I am asking the following questions: 

QUESTION #1 : Do you earn extra latitudes points for booking 2 rooms?

QUESTION #2: If the answer is yes to the above question, is there a way in which I must book this? Example: Do you need to book both rooms at the same time to qualify for any additional points? Must I book with NCL vs. my normal online booking? Can 1 adult and 1 child be booked in each of the 2 rooms, or must both adults be on each room booking to qualify? 

QUESTION #3: Has anyone done this, and what are the specifics on this?

Thank you for any tips from those who know...

The points are awarded to the occupants of the room, not the "purchasers".

Children will "earn" points, but they will simply accrue until they reach (I believe) 18.

You can book them yourself through NCL or a TA.

Sorry, I have no other specifics.

• Like 2

points are awarded to people who sail, not to people who book or pay for rooms.

your kids either have latitudes accounts already if they’ve previously sailed or will have accounts by the end of your upcoming cruise, if they haven’t. if you intend to sail over and over again with NCL, this is important, as your kids will eventually have status in the program and will get tier benefits, along with you.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

The points are awarded to the occupants of the room, not the "purchasers".

Children will "earn" points, but they will simply accrue until they reach (I believe) 18.

You can book them yourself through NCL or a TA.

Sorry, I have no other specifics.

Thank you so much @ggTexasGal I appreciate you post and your tips! They were very helpful. 

Edited by PalmBeach4

49 minutes ago, UKstages said:

points are awarded to people who sail, not to people who book or pay for rooms.

your kids either have latitudes accounts already if they’ve previously sailed or will have accounts by the end of your upcoming cruise, if they haven’t. if you intend to sail over and over again with NCL, this is important, as your kids will eventually have status in the program and will get tier benefits, along with you.

Thank you @UKstages for your kind info and help

Edited by PalmBeach4

There has to be an adult in each room, so you have to split the adults up one per cabin. This is good for you, because it means you will get two sets of Platinum benefits instead of just one!

Everyone gets Latitudes points for completing the cruise, and it's the same number of points no matter how many or how few people you shared your cabin with. It's not normally possible to book yourself into more than one room, so you can't try to double your points that way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Everyone gets Latitudes points for completing the cruise, and it's the same number of points no matter how many or how few people you shared your cabin with. 

Not always true.    We just had four in a two bedroom Haven Suite on the Epic.  There was a double point promotion and only my husband and I received the 28 points, our children receive 14 points.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Not always true.    We just had four in a two bedroom Haven Suite on the Epic.  There was a double point promotion and only my husband and I received the 28 points, our children receive 14 points.

Yes !!  Concur, this is true (as least lately and post-Covid) with the extra point and double points promotion) Our SIL was sharing ours and we got all the extra points whereas she didn't ... not that it's a big deal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Double points are only for the first two in a room, same with the latitude extra points. I have three kids, two are platinum because they got the bonus points, my youngest is still gold 😞

• Like 1

@PalmBeach4 I would recommend you reach out to NCL or your travel agent and get your kids latitude numbers (they probably have more than one at this point) and when booking your kids always make sure you have it go against their latitudes number.  I spent a good amount of time getting all my kids accounts collapsed in to one so they would have all their points.

22 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

There has to be an adult in each room, so you have to split the adults up one per cabin. This is good for you, because it means you will get two sets of Platinum benefits instead of just one!

Everyone gets Latitudes points for completing the cruise, and it's the same number of points no matter how many or how few people you shared your cabin with. It's not normally possible to book yourself into more than one room, so you can't try to double your points that way.

@hawkeyetlse Your reply was awesome! Thank you so much. Would you mind elaborating on the part about "....you will get two sets of Platinum benefits.."  ? If my hubby is in 1 room with 1 kid, and I am in the next door room with the other kid, since we are each registered in 1 room each, how do we get 2 sets of platinum benefits? Normally we get 1 set of benefits per each person in the 1 room. so can you explain what you mean? How would we get an extra set of benefits (and what benefits would count) with the extra room? What extra benefits qualify with the additional room? 

Thank you kindly for providing your expertise on the matter. I greatly appreciate it. 

22 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Thank you @hawkeyetlse for your informative reply. I added another question for you if you do not mind replying....

10 hours ago, jtrollin said:

Double points are only for the first two in a room, same with the latitude extra points. I have three kids, two are platinum because they got the bonus points, my youngest is still gold 😞

@jtrollin Thank you for your reply. May I ask what are the ages of your kids? Is it true that since I have kept all documentation for my 2 kids's (15 & 16 years old) since they first cruised in 2015 that they will finally be able to have their points added to a Latitudes profile once they turn 18? Does NCL keep track of this or will I have to keep track in some way and provide proof of past cruises? Is 18 the correct age to have their acct's created, and do I simply contact the Latitudes Dept. or what are the steps to have this completed? Thanks in advance for any details and advice you can advise on...

Just now, PalmBeach4 said:

@jtrollin Thank you for your reply. May I ask what are the ages of your kids? Is it true that since I have kept all documentation for my 2 kids's (15 & 16 years old) since they first cruised in 2015 that they will finally be able to have their points added to a Latitudes profile once they turn 18? Does NCL keep track of this or will I have to keep track in some way and provide proof of past cruises? Is 18 the correct age to have their acct's created, and do I simply contact the Latitudes Dept. or what are the steps to have this completed? Thanks in advance for any details and advice you can advise on...

my kids are 17, 20 and 22 we started cruising in 2015 and my TA got all their points taken care of.  They each had a few accounts that had to be consolidated.

44 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

@PalmBeach4When my daughter turned 18, her account was automatically updated.   When my son turned 18 the following year, his points were spreadout over two accounts.  It took a simple phone call to NCL to figure and straighten out.

@vacation44 Fantastic. My spoiled kids exit high school with Platinum status, whereas I had to work for that! Over several years! lollllll

9 hours ago, PalmBeach4 said:

@hawkeyetlse 

Normally we get 1 set of benefits per each person in the 1 room. so can you explain what you mean? How would we get an extra set of benefits (and what benefits would count) with the extra room?

In the list of benefits, some are advertised as “per person” but others are “one per cabin”, even if there are two Platinum members in the cabin. The most valuable one is the dinner vouchers: with two of you in one cabin, you get two vouchers for a dinner for two people (a total of 4 free meals). If you and you spouse split up into two cabins, *each cabin* gets two vouchers for the dinners for two, so you will get 8 free meals in all! (And two bottles of wine!)

You will also get the chocolate strawberries in each cabin, instead of just one plate to share. 

Edited by hawkeyetlse
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 6:19 AM, dexddd said:

The kids earn points but don't get level until they do a sailing after turning 18.

My son just did his first sailing after turning 18. Does he need to create his own NCL account to check his Latitudes status?

11 hours ago, Mistizoom said:

My son just did his first sailing after turning 18. Does he need to create his own NCL account to check his Latitudes status?

Yes.  There used to be the option if you didn't have an account or didn't know your account number you could put in reservation number from a trip and it bring up info including past trips.