1. 1. Which ships are best?

• MSC Seaview
    • Costa Toscana
    • Costa Smeralda
    • MSC World Europa
    • MSC Virtuosa
    • Costa Pacifica

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/2023 at 06:55 PM

@AspiringCindy

Personal opinion - any time on a ship and especially on a Med cruise (which sounds amazing and we are on a countdown to the Med as well) should be wonderful.

Knowing nothing about Costa other than what Emma Cruises on YouTube says (great channel...may be helpful in your questioning), and nothing about you, our likes / dislikes, family with young kids vs none, older cruises, love to party vs love to sit on balcony, it's a difficult question to answer.

Can you tell the forum a little about what you are looking for in a ship and maybe the itineraries? Lots of CCers have very firm opinions about ships, ports, itineraries, restaurants, etc and should be able to help you out a bit. 

Again...you will be on a cruise in the Med. Not a bad place to start!

Warmest, Amy

I'll be traveling with my 2 daughters 23 and 30. Most likely we would spend most of our daytime hours on land to sight see. We are not late night people (unless we are with our significant others and are gambling), but we are "Foodies". To be honest, none of these ships have the perfect itinerary that I want...so it'll be a trade-off balancing ports of call, ship, and sail date! Oh I wanted to add that I have very high status with Royal Caribbean, and never have sailed on Costa or MSC.

Edited by AspiringCindy
  • Thanks 1

Carefully consider the times in port.  It has been suggested that Europe based ships that have mostly European clientele spend shorter times in port, because the guests have mostly been to the ports before and are just onboard for the ship/relaxation.  
   And I would probably book the trend.  I don’t go for the newest, biggest ship.  Actually, I would book the smallest, which for Costa would be the Pacifica.  For MSC, Seaview.  May I ask why you are only considering these two lines?  EM

Celebrity Ascent has a  9 night cruise April 27, 2024 from Barcelona.

Celebrity's Edge class ships are beautiful ships and the service and food far surpasses anything that MSC or Costa can offer...in my opinion.

Also your Royal Caribbean status carries over to Celebrity.

Edited by Fla Mike

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

Celebrity's Edge class ships are beautiful ships and the service and food far surpasses anything that MSC or Costa can offer...in my opinion.

Having sailed on Celebrity and MSC this year I'd have to say that Celebrity have been scaling back the food service noticeably, to the point where I would struggle to say with certainty that they are even better than MSC, certainly not even close to 'far surpasses'.

If price is a factor then Celebrity will also lose out, but they would be a clear winner I think on the entertainment onboard and on the speciality restaurant offerings, so for 'foodies' there would be more higher quality options, just don't expect to get that experience in the MDR or buffet, if outside the Retreat, and even the suite class restaurant, may fall short for some when compared to the equivalent Yacht Club on MSC, especially if price is a consideration....

Edited by Mark_T

23 minutes ago, AspiringCindy said:

No not necessarily! I already have off from April 12- April 21st.

Where are you coming from?  Do those 9 days include getting to the port?  A travel day on each end would limit to a 7 day cruise.  EM

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Where are you coming from?  Do those 9 days include getting to the port?  A travel day on each end would limit to a 7 day cruise.  EM

Coming from the NY area. I am somewhat limited to a 7 day cruise. Could maybe add an additional day to the beginning or tail end.

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Having sailed on Celebrity and MSC this year I'd have to say that Celebrity have been scaling back the food service noticeably, to the point where I would struggle to say with certainty that they are even better than MSC, certainly not even close to 'far surpasses'.

If price is a factor then Celebrity will also lose out

Celebrity scaled back and MSC has improved the food. That´s a fact, not opinion. 

On the other hand Celebrity has sometimes great prices in the Med that rival or even undercut MSC.