Need help with Western Med Cruise

bev2beach

Never been to Europe and want to try a Western Med. Cruise.  I am considering RC's Voyager and Oasis.  I have been on both ships but not to Europe.  Thinking of Sep. 2024 and not sure how to pick ports. I was leaning on the smaller ship for less crowds? Suggestions, please!

There is always a lot of discussion on the Europe boards on CC.  You can click on different countries under the Europe heading, and get some ideas of pros and cons of the ports you might be considering.

Good luck!  Lots of great places to visit.

Med cruises are very port-intensive no matter what cruise you take.  It is up and out early, and everyone leaves the ship..do a smaller ship if you can. There is no guarantee any ports you pick won't be crowded.  Just go and enjoy the beauty of Europe

• Like 1

Crowds are a little better in September than in the summer months (June-August) but it will still be crowded and possibly hot. Aim for mid- to end of month if possible for a better experience.

I've taken many Med cruises and always try to go in shoulder or off-season, and also prefer smaller ships. It's about the experience on shore, not so much onboard. At least it is for me.

Look for a cruise with different start and end points and plan to spend at least a couple of days in each (3 days is better for Rome).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bev2beach said:

Thinking of Sep. 2024 and not sure how to pick ports.

Unless you want very long journeys from ports to the main city or town, look away from itineraries with  headline ports in brackets such as Livorno(Florence), Civitaveccia (Rome), le Havre (Paris) etc and look at ones which have no "headline" destination in brackets following the name of the port.Tthese are ports where you would be more likely to simply step ashore or have only a short walk or shuttle bus to get into town.  And as there are many of these in Western and Southern Med itineraries, also in Atlantic Coast and Adriatic itineraries and others, so you would still have a good selection to choose from.

And you don't necessarily have to go for much smaller ships although these are better. You could look at lines which have ships of different sizes.

Edited by edinburgher

Some time ago there were alot of  complaints in respect of a ship with 3000pax in that many many people missed excursions because the ship did not disembark such a large number of passengers in an efficient manner.

People claimed they were queueing for an hour and received zero sympathy and / or assistance from staff.
Just a thought.

20 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Unless you want very long journeys from ports to the main city or town, look away from itineraries with  headline ports in brackets such as Livorno(Florence), Civitaveccia (Rome), le Havre (Paris) etc and look at ones which have no "headline" destination in brackets following the name of the port.Tthese are ports where you would be more likely to simply step ashore or have only a short walk or shuttle bus to get into town.  And as there are many of these in Western and Southern Med itineraries, also in Atlantic Coast and Adriatic itineraries and others, so you would still have a good selection to choose from.

And you don't necessarily have to go for much smaller ships although these are better. You could look at lines which have ships of different sizes.

Some of our most enjoyable cruise ports are those with a short walk or shuttle to the old town centers.    

While I agree excursions to Rome or Florence/Pisa involve longer journeys, someone who has never been to Europe might find it worthwhile to spend a day getting a snapshot of those places.  Might even motivate another trip.   Of course, Le Havre is not in the western Med, so wouldn't come into play with the OP's cruise.     

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, bev2beach said:

Never been to Europe and want to try a Western Med. Cruise.  I am considering RC's Voyager and Oasis.  I have been on both ships but not to Europe.  Thinking of Sep. 2024 and not sure how to pick ports. I was leaning on the smaller ship for less crowds? Suggestions, please!

Guess it depends on how you define a smaller ship.  We have done several Med cruises on ships of 2500-3000 passengers.  Those wouldn't be considered small in general.  I guess in comparison to Oasis they would be.   Our Med cruises have been with Princess, RCI, and Celebrity.  All were great experiences.   

As others have already advised,  our preference is to look at the itineraries and buy a ticket on the cruise ship that goes to the places we think we will enjoy most.   I think one big exception is if someone is looking for a luxury on board experience, the search will focus on luxury lines.   

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

While I agree excursions to Rome or Florence/Pisa involve longer journeys, someone who has never been to Europe might find it worthwhile to spend a day getting a snapshot of those places.  Might even motivate another trip.   Of course, Le Havre is not in the western Med, so wouldn't come into play with the OP's cruise.  

I hadn't thought of that idubs, so thanks for pointing it out, and only the OP will know if that is an attractive proposition for him/her. It is easier for us to completely dismiss those long days as we are based in Europe and can take short flights for land based holidays, our preference for cities being 7 nights/6 days.

I was thinking more along the lines of ports with easier access such as Barcelona, Malaga, Valencia, Cannes, Nice, Monaco, Naples and many many others.

Of course, Le Havre is not in the western Med, so wouldn't come into play with the OP's cruise.

Of course it is not "Western Med"  and I had mentioned Atlantic Coast itineraries as a possible option, but I referenced le Havre as it is a "headline port" as Paris is almost always highlighted in brackets, and for a first visit to Europe, the opportunity to "see Paris" is an attractive prospect and could tempt them if they are as yet unaware of the reality of "seeing Paris "from le Havre

• Like 1

As well as all ^^

Med cruises are port intensive so pick one that has a sea day middle or end of cruise so you can chill a bit. You are up early - 7/8am are not unusual start times. 

Some have overnights in places they are always good fun as well. Depending on where we May book a hotel for the night to get a proper feel. 

We live in the U.K. but still do a med cruise now & again. You can do them couple of times at least in each place & do different excursions. So much to see & do. 

7 hours ago, wineoclock said:

We live in the U.K. but still do a med cruise now & again. You can do them couple of times at least in each place & do different excursions. So much to see & do. 

I don't live in the UK but I am a poster child for this advice.

I'm going to embark on what I believe are my 13th and 14th Med cruises in October. 😆

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't live in the UK but I am a poster child for this advice.

I'm going to embark on what I believe are my 13th and 14th Med cruises in October. 😆

Lucky you. Dh likes cruises but prefers land holidays. Me - I’d always take a cruise over any other holiday!