Covid Onboard Sojourn

3 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

Spent last month (July) travelling through Europe and saw very few face masks worn anywhere/anytime.   In general, Americans seem to be more concerned over COVID than mst Europeans.

I think the real point here is that no one wants to get Covie while on a Seabourn cruise.  No one wants to have to be isolated in their suite.  It would be a real bummer.  THAT's the reason to be careful--not that you think you are going to die from this virus--at this point.  

• Like 3

How does anyone know they have covid? There is no requirement to test anymore. You might show some symptoms which are simply a ‘cold’. I experienced covid and it had very little effect on me and I only knew it was covid via a test, 5 days through and was clear 2 days later. I subsequently got a cold which lasted 7 weeks. I tested regularly during that period. The cold was far more debilitating. We just need to get on with life.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:55 PM, Dunnedg said:

How does anyone know they have covid? There is no requirement to test anymore. You might show some symptoms which are simply a ‘cold’.

Thank you for asking this question. I am wondering the same thing. Was the passenger in the OP diagnosed with Covid because he sought onboard medical care? Or did he bring his own Covid test kit(s) and inform the crew of a positive result? I was under the impression that pre-boarding Covid tests for all pax are a thing of the past. Am I mistaken about that?

• Like 1

We bought several Covid tests for our 26 day cruise in OZ and NZ cruise in February. We had to test preboarding at the time. Also had one prescription of Paxlovid for my over year old 65 husband given by our family doctor. Our plan if we got sick with Covid was to be honest and let staff know and quarantine. We did not want to expose staff and fellow travelers. We felt we were low risk for complications and felt the variant not so bad. Did not consider not cruising.
We did did test positive when off the ship a week. Although we both thought we had mild cases my husband started having confusion and excessive fatigue. Ended up in the hospital. Covid had attacked his heart value and he ended up needed a valve replacement immediately. We have a healthy respect for Covid.  We do have another SB cruise planned and hope not too many people treat it as a cold and not isolate. We know some will not be truthful.  My hope is Seabourn reevaluates how long you need to be isolated. 10 days seems too long. This might contribute to people not being honest. My husband continued to test positive for 2 months.

• Like 2

We took Covid tests with us on our cruise (two each) .  We also had Paxlovid prescribed by our doctors with us as well.  Fortunately, we did not get sick.  We did observe people coughing and sneezing--some of them a lot.  When that happened, we would discreetly leave the location.  There are no guarantees.  At the present moment, I know several people who have Covid---in different locations.  Evidently, there is a new strain which is even more contagious than the previous strains.  We waited a long time to resume cruising (finally this last June) and plan to cruise in 2024 along with some domestic travel during a number of months.  We are going on with our lives, but are still aware that Covid is out there and it can be severe for some people.  

Edited by SLSD

We took tests with us as well. I left two in the stateroom in case it might be helpful. I didn’t get sick until on the flight home, and we flew directly so I had to have gotten it from onboard coughing uncovered mouth individuals. First time getting it. I guess it’s one of the variables now in addition to Norovirus and all the other long standing ailments.   

We will cruise first time since Covid in April 2024 with pursuit. We will take tests and paxlovid with us.  I unfortunately have 2 friends who passed away from it ( both under 60 and otherwise healthy) and a friend was just in a top hospital for 2 weeks with a bad case.  So, I’m well aware it’s out there and some people least expected can get very sick.  We would of course let the ship know if we were to come down with it and quarantine.

it won’t stop us from traveling ( we have been going by land the last couple of years) but will be prepared and take precautions as I would with any illness while on board a ship.

• Like 2

Only time we got Covid was on the way home from our first pre-pandemic cruise - last March on the Ovation.  Many sick people on the ship including some of our favorite Seabourn pax we have sailed with many times who were in isolation after meeting up with them, on the flight home - day we disembarked - an hour before landing I started not feeling well, thought it could be from the dry air in the plane but next day tested positive.  A day later my wife tested positive. 

So... while we all love cruising expect you might not come home well or be in isolation on the ship.  Get all the boosters you can.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Took Dec. 22 to Jan 11 Roundtrip L.A. to Hawaii.

There were 4 stools in front of cabins on our deck, 8.  Covid isolated. 

The cabin attendant look unwell.  Word was seasick.   Two days later she reappeared with mask.

Just got home and not feeling well.  Both my wife and I tested positive.  We're fully vaccinated so symptoms are not too bad.

The Sojourn is now leaving on a World Cruise.  Good luck!

I realize it is back everywhere.  My wife and I have managed to not contact Covid since the beginning of the pandemic.  Only upon cruising did we finally get unlucky.

Cruise ships are a great place to spread any type of virus.

Our cabin attendant looked like she was about to collapse.  She disappeared for 2 days and we were told that she was seasick.  She  came back to work with a mask and still looked unwell.  I have a suspision that this was the source of transmission.

2 hours ago, exsausd said:

Our cabin attendant looked like she was about to collapse.  She disappeared for 2 days and we were told that she was seasick.  She  came back to work with a mask and still looked unwell.  I have a suspision that this was the source of transmission.

I can't believe that a cabin attendant would be allowed to return to work within two days of being diagnosed with Covid.  That would violate every standard of care (on ship and on land) that I've ever seen.  Additionally, Seabourn certainly wouldn't want her to be spreading Covid to all of the other passengers if for no other reason than it's not in their best interest. 

Her being out two days sounds as though she was suspected of having Covid, had a negative initial test, was retested 24-48 hours later, and that test was also negative.

However, what you describe sure sounds like a strong circumstantial case for her having Covid.  Perhaps she was tested and had a false negative result. 

On Venture in November our room steward had strep throat but had to continue working because they were understaffed and had no backfill for her. She wore a mask but that certainly is not ideal...