Covid Onboard Sojourn

There is a man onboard who was diagnosed with Covid ; disturbing to many of us that his wife is being allowed to stay with him in suite and freely roam around ship, no restrictions. She was offered alternate room and refused. Seems irresponsible of Seabourn to not have a little better protocol in place, as she could easily be a carrier and not be aware. She is on Trivia team, nightly sitting ant the bar , and also asking others to dine with them , making it awkward for fellow guests.

• Like 3

How does the HD explain this away?

If passengers are annoyed, and who wouldn’t be after the scourge of Covid we lived through, Seabourn has a lot to answer for. Just pathetic. Now all you need is a dog off leash either sitting bare-bottomed on an upholstered chair in some lounge or relieving itself in a lobby by the lifts.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Haha 3

Nobody cares? Really? No precautions for spouses likely to be infected? 

Again, a known threat on a cruise ship with high concentrations of passengers in close quarters which can be mitigated with a few precautions and 5 days of isolation?

Pleeeez.

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, markham said:

Nobody cares? Really? No precautions for spouses likely to be infected? 

Again, a known threat on a cruise ship with high concentrations of passengers in close quarters which can be mitigated with a few precautions and 5 days of isolation?

Pleeeez.

Okay, I will just say that Seabourn doesn't care then.  Its hygiene protocols are literally non existent just like they were last summer too.  You just have to live with it or not cruise. 

The current departure is supposed to be fully booked 600+, so no isolation cabins available anyway.  

Does this show what happens when a cruise line appears to put profit over safety. I hope not.

Then what could the HD say to justify such disinterest regarding public health when there was in fact a spare cabin for the spouse to use - thread #1 shows she was offered it -  and all the same she was allowed to circulate among others apparently without concern…

Ok, maybe the HD can point to head office nonsense about relaxing former Covid precautions, and then we know where any blame resides. Further, we can also wonder about the spouse, but then there are always selfish people on cruise ships. Just consider the indulgence shown by cruise lines to their sun loungers bullies.

I am not as worry about Covid anymore, because I can do something about it. I am fully vaccinated, with multiple booster shots, and took one two week before my last Alaska cruise. However, I am more worry about the other upper respiratory infections. I still wear a mask in crowded areas, one of the very few on the cruise. I wish other passengers would wear masks  more often too, especially if they cough. But, I do understand and respect people's dislike for wearing mask.  DW and I have decided that we will continue cruising and accept the risk of possibly picking up an infection or two along the way.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, markham said:

Does this show what happens when a cruise line appears to put profit over safety. I hope not.

Then what could the HD say to justify such disinterest regarding public health when there was in fact a spare cabin for the spouse to use - thread #1 shows she was offered it -  and all the same she was allowed to circulate among others apparently without concern…

Ok, maybe the HD can point to head office nonsense about relaxing former Covid precautions, and then we know where any blame resides. Further, we can also wonder about the spouse, but then there are always selfish people on cruise ships. Just consider the indulgence shown by cruise lines to their sun loungers bullies.

If a spare suite was available for the spouse and she was offered it and refused it I would expect the Doctor and Hotel director to insist that she take the suite otherwise they would both be confined to their own suite or both be put off at the next port of call.

The cruise line has every right to do so as it is covered by the small print in the terms and conditions that we all agree to before we board.

It's not hard is it.

• Like 5

On Quest in May/June we found ourselves in the Observations Bar towards the end of the cruise. It became very crowded with the beautiful Kotor sail away. We were there early and ordered caviar. Pretty soon a group comes in and sits behind us. One woman was coughing her head off without bothering to cover her mouth. Nonstop coughing. About that time our caviar showed up. It was a dilemma we hadn’t found ourselves in as we were extremely, maybe overly during that first year,  cautious during Covid, vaccines, boosters, masks, etc. We opted to enjoy our caviar then leave. The next morning we were having breakfast outside and a second woman was coughing like crazy without bothering to use her napkin to cover her mouth. We finished our breakfast instead of getting up and leaving. Bad decisions. Towards the end of the flight home I started feeling a little off. By the next day I was sick and tested positive. First time getting it. I isolated for 10 days and until I cleared testing twice. It was a lesson learned. There are people who are all about themselves in every walk of life, but when in a confined or crowded area, and selfish clearly sick people arrive, then just get up and leave. Caviar or not! 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 5

Our room attendant and her assistant on Ovation suddenly disappeared, we suspect Covid as there were lots of cases - passengers and crew. We were told they were very close to making everyone wear masks again.

One thing that really concerned us was the full tour buses. This never used to be the case, always plenty of spare seats. Now every seat is taken and people coughing non stop.

5 hours ago, texanaust said:

Lots of Covid onboard Ovation.  Stools outside many staterooms, but nobody cares.  If you want to cruise, then you just have to live with it.  

Our friends who disembarked from Ovation a little over a week ago had Covid infect their entire six person traveling group.  Fortunately, they did not become very ill.  We feel fortunate that we avoided becoming ill on our June cruise.  We did take measures to protect ourselves (hand washing,no buffets,  no use of public restrooms, removing ourselves when someone was cough or sneezing (usually without covering their mouths/noses, dining outdoors quite a bit, etc).  We DID ride on buses which should have had far fewer passengers.  

Edited by SLSD

24 minutes ago, Joc123 said:

Our room attendant and her assistant on Ovation suddenly disappeared, we suspect Covid as there were lots of cases - passengers and crew. We were told they were very close to making everyone wear masks again.

One thing that really concerned us was the full tour buses. This never used to be the case, always plenty of spare seats. Now every seat is taken and people coughing non stop.

Ours disappeared as well shortly after our itinerary began. We suspected the same thing, but since I did not get sick until I returned I don’t feel I caught it from her 

Edited by Vineyard View

19 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Ours disappeared as well shortly after our itinerary began. We suspected the same thing, but since I did not get sick until I returned I don’t feel I caught it from her 

We had a room attendant who disappeared as well---about half way through our cruise.  I didn't think about Covid at the time and didn't feel I could ask where she was.  I didn't want to pry.  It may well have been Covid.  

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

On Quest in May/June we found ourselves in the Observations Bar towards the end of the cruise. It became very crowded with the beautiful Kotor sail away. We were there early and ordered caviar. Pretty soon a group comes in and sits behind us. One woman was coughing her head off without bothering to cover her mouth. Nonstop coughing. About that time our caviar showed up. It was a dilemma we hadn’t found ourselves in as we were extremely, maybe overly during that first year,  cautious during Covid, vaccines, boosters, masks, etc. We opted to enjoy our caviar then leave. The next morning we were having breakfast outside and a second woman was coughing like crazy without bothering to use her napkin to cover her mouth. We finished our breakfast instead of getting up and leaving. Bad decisions. Towards the end of the flight home I started feeling a little off. By the next day I was sick and tested positive. First time getting it. I isolated for 10 days and until I cleared testing twice. It was a lesson learned. There are people who are all about themselves in every walk of life, but when in a confined or crowded area, and selfish clearly sick people arrive, then just get up and leave. Caviar or not! 

Napkin/mouth🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Yes indeed always put health before caviar😁

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes indeed always put health before caviar😁

Right?  It was a brilliant choice! Not. 

And galeforce9 yes, the two women were both in environments where napkins were readily available to cover their mouths. Just didn’t happen. Can’t control selfishness. 

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am sure those who are coughing will claim it’s allergies or COPD so you shouldn’t be worried!

Anyone coughing should cover their mouth.  When we embarked on Ovation in Copenhagen, I was coughing and was concerned about it.  Not because I thought I had Covid, but because I knew I had asthma and didn't want people to think I had Covid.  Fortunately, with medication, it resolved within a day--but some really do have other causes of their cough!  

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Anyone coughing should cover their mouth.  When we embarked on Ovation in Copenhagen, I was coughing and was concerned about it.  Not because I thought I had Covid, but because I knew I had asthma and didn't want people to think I had Covid.  Fortunately, with medication, it resolved within a day--but some really do have other causes of their cough!  

Absolutely agree with you in that statement. As I was told by a nurse  during ‘those days’. Not everyone who is sick or showing symptoms has Covid.

But common courtesy, at best, is to cover your mouth when you cough. I just don’t get people who do not engage in that simple politeness. 

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

Was the medication red or white?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Not everyone who is sick or showing symptoms has Covid.

I developed a cold on a (non cruise) trip last year. I didn't think it was Covid, and I tested negative. Of course I covered my mouth when I coughed, but I knew other people on our tour van were probably wary of the guy with the cough. I really wanted to wear a sign around my neck: "It's a cold, not Covid!" My wife developed a cold on our recent Seabourn cruise; also not Covid (per testing) — but again, we knew it could put other people on edge. Maybe I should get "It's not Covid!" T-shirts made before our next trip! But that would probably jinx things, and one of us would actually contract Covid! 🤣

On 7/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, texanaust said:

Lots of Covid onboard Ovation.  Stools outside many staterooms, but nobody cares.  If you want to cruise, then you just have to live with it.  

So that's why there were foot stools outside so many rooms - I thought it was the guests being kind to room service to try to save their backs 😂

Well it certainly answers the question why we both came home from Ovation on the 23rd and both tested positive.

my issue is the lack of hand hygiene. Seabourn actually has sinks outside most of its public areas and yet so few people actually washed or sanitised their hands and there was no 'encouragement' to do so from staff.

Edited by Techno123