AMA Flavors of Portugal & Spain question

Farang

We are on this cruise beginning August 8. We are also doing the Madrid pre-cruise, wherein my question lies. On the day of our cruise embarkation, we travel by bus from Madrid to Vega Terron with a stop in Salamanca. The description of this day calls for 5 1/2 hours of bus ride. Has anyone on this board experienced this aspect of the extended cruise?  If so, how long were the bus ride segments, and how long were you in Salamanca?

havent done that one, but Im guessing it probably goes this way

Madrid, stop after an hour at a gas station or somewhere with a bathroom

arrive at Salamanca, eat lunch, maybe see something

stop after an hour at a gas station or somewhere with a bathroom

get to Vega Terron

(that assumes that its actually 5 and a half hours on the bus and not just 5 and an half hours from Madrid to Vega Terron including stops, thats probably one stop more than Ive seen but they likely wont do 2 hours straight on the bus)

this from having done about 4 hours in Romania (twice) and 3 and 6 in France, and one from Nuremberg to Prague with them on extended transfer days.

Edited by CastleCritic

The 5 1/2 hours is about right for the bus ride from Madrid to Vega de Terron.  BTW it's hard to search for Vega de Terron; I substitute the name of the last town in Portugal, Barca d’Alva.

Salamanca is at least two hours from each end point, so there will be a comfort stop on each leg.  Salamanca is a destination, not just a comfort or lunch stop, so I would expect several hours in Salamanca with a guided tour to the Cathedral and other sights as well as lunch.

My understanding is that the Madrid–Salamanca–Barca d'Alva day is about the same as the Barca d'Alba–Salamanca–Barca d'Alba excursion on those Douro cruises that go round trip from Porto.  [Maybe a little more time on the bus on the Madrid–Salamanca leg]

It works if you enter ‘Vega de Terron’ Pier, it’s at the full extent of the Douro where you leave the Scenic Azure for Salamanca. So if I’m reading this correctly Farang is going one way returning from Vega de Terron to Porto. The time spent in Salamanca (any is never wasted) depends on what time you leave Madrid (another must see Spanish city).

Enjoy.

We did this several years ago with Uniworld.  On our way to Salamanca we had a comfort stop.  While in Salamanca we had a guided tour and time for a delicious tapas lunch on our own.  After lunch our Madrid based guides relinquished us to our ship's guides.  We gathered in a ballroom of a beautiful hotel for more sandwiches, pastries and drinks before boarding buses that took us to our ship.  The scenery along the way was beautiful.  I always consider the bus rides to our destinations as part of the journey.  We saw many stork nests and storks along the way which added to the fun of the trip, and our guide provided some commentary along the way which made the drive time very tolerable.

• Like 2

Thanks all.  Your comments have certainly helped me to understand the process.  I expect what we will experience is a bus ride from Madrid to Salamanca with a "rest" stop on the way and then a couple of guide tour hours in Salamanca followed by a bus ride from Salamanca to the Vega De Terron cruise ship dock (again interim someone that had experienced this event with AMA.upted by a "rest" stop. Interestingly, the Ama literature shows B,L,D (meals) for that day but does not elaborate on the "L". This is one reason I was seeking comment from anyone who had recent AMA experience. If "L" is "on your own during free-time" i'd like to know in advance.

1 hour ago, Farang said:

Thanks all.  Your comments have certainly helped me to understand the process.  I expect what we will experience is a bus ride from Madrid to Salamanca with a "rest" stop on the way and then a couple of guide tour hours in Salamanca followed by a bus ride from Salamanca to the Vega De Terron cruise ship dock (again interim someone that had experienced this event with AMA.upted by a "rest" stop. Interestingly, the Ama literature shows B,L,D (meals) for that day but does not elaborate on the "L". This is one reason I was seeking comment from anyone who had recent AMA experience. If "L" is "on your own during free-time" i'd like to know in advance.

If they show L, they are providing it.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed the Douro with AMA, but did pre- and post-cruise touring on our own. During our AMA sailing we had a day visit to Salamanca. We were bussed there from the ship, had a tour, an included lunch, and were given a bit of free time, then bussed back to the ship. The ride was a couple hours in each direction. The included lunch was wonderful, it was in a local hotel and was a buffet of many different Spanish foods (one of the best paellas I've ever had), and included some wonderful local entertainment of musicians, singing, dancing. 

• Like 1