Jump to content

tom's port guides?


Recommended Posts

I did a little amateur googling and I wonder if he's "retired" from maintaining his website because he turns 83 years old in September and his house is for sale.

 

Thank you to Tom Sheridan for all the hard work.  The guides were so helpful!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The archive link worked for me, but clicking to download a guide only returned the cover page 🙁 The guides I’ve used in the past were SO helpful and informative. 
 

I hope Tom is having a relaxing retirement after having contributed to so many people’s vacation enjoyment!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, plaidsmom said:

I just learned that Tom has passed away which explains why his sites are no longer maintained. 

 

Oh no! I’m sorry to see this 🙁 I hope he knew or was told often how much of a service he provided to the cruise community with his port guides. Rest In Peace, Tom ❤️

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2023 at 8:16 PM, MadameCor said:

The archive link worked for me, but clicking to download a guide only returned the cover page 🙁 The guides I’ve used in the past were SO helpful and informative. 
 

I hope Tom is having a relaxing retirement after having contributed to so many people’s vacation enjoyment!

Link worked for me also.  But when I tried to pull up Venice guide, it wouldn't go...said error.  Sigh.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear this info.  I used Tom’s Guides for a Mediterranean cruise and a Canada trip.  His info was invaluable.   I do have most of the New England/ Canadian guides saved as PDF downloads incIuding the Charlottetown driving one.  I can try to upload if anyone wants them.  Perhaps other people may have some saved as well and we can collect as many as we can. I also have Dominica.  

Edited by roblc1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 5:01 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Link worked for me also.  But when I tried to pull up Venice guide, it wouldn't go...said error.  Sigh.

 

 

I recommend learning how to use the wayback machine.

 

1. Go to https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.tomsportguides.com* 
2. Put venice in the search box
3. Click one of the pdfs
It'll take you to a calendar with blue dots for dates archived
4. Click on those until you find one that has the file

 

Here's one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150616053156/http://www.tomsportguides.com:80/Venice-05-06-2011.pdf

 

and another

https://web.archive.org/web/20211110152043/http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/veniceguide.pdf
 

 

Edited by someotherguy
Added second file
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2023 at 9:00 PM, hokiefans said:

I have about 15 downloaded....send a message if you are looking for a particular one.

 

These are such a treasure, I hate to see them perish in the ether.  Got any for Alaska?  I’m looking for Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, maybe others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm finding that Solent Richard's blogs are good.  Not all places you may be going are covered, of course.  But I found the few I've looked at are pretty good.  And if you're going to Asia, Docked Discoveries doesn't have a lot of ports covered, but at least it's a start:

 

And there's https://www.iqcruising.com/index.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 10/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, hokiefans said:

I have about 15 downloaded....send a message if you are looking for a particular one.

Hi hokie fans.  You wouldn't happen to have links (or pdfs) that cover these ports, do you: Visby, Ronne, Warnemunde (Berlin), Stockholm, La Goulette, Palermo, Livorno, Naples, Marseille or Barcelona? I'm trying to help someone in Australia about what to do (without using a lot of ship excursions) in those cities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Hi hokie fans.  You wouldn't happen to have links (or pdfs) that cover these ports, do you: Visby, Ronne, Warnemunde (Berlin), Stockholm, La Goulette, Palermo, Livorno, Naples, Marseille or Barcelona? I'm trying to help someone in Australia about what to do (without using a lot of ship excursions) in those cities. 

We did Rostock/Warnemunde on our own years ago: i just updated the blog to reflect working links. Maybe it helps your friend for the planning.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...