Norweigan Joy- Is there always a free package? Don't want one.

I've been looking at Norweigan Joy as a possible cruise in December and everytime I look the rates include unlimited drink packages, wifi, etc. We aren't big drinkers ( traveling with 2 kids)  and it looks like even with a free drink package I am paying 100's in gratuities for the drink package which is probably more than I would spend anyway. Trying to avoid wifi also, want to relax. Was hoping to buy a cruise fare that is lower in rate but "cruise only" and we buy the few drinks we trully want. Is that likely to be offered or is that not typical?

Any thoughts? We are regular cruisers, just not usually Norweigan.

Jenn

You can always opt out of the extras and save the gratuities.

There are other rates that don’t include the free at sea options. These differ depending on where you are from, but look at rates like “sailaway”, which may exclude those offers and be cheaper. However you may lose the option to select your cabin (again, that varies by location).

6 hours ago, Califonria cruiser said:

I've been looking at Norweigan Joy as a possible cruise in December and everytime I look the rates include unlimited drink packages, wifi, etc. We aren't big drinkers ( traveling with 2 kids)  and it looks like even with a free drink package I am paying 100's in gratuities for the drink package which is probably more than I would spend anyway. Trying to avoid wifi also, want to relax. Was hoping to buy a cruise fare that is lower in rate but "cruise only" and we buy the few drinks we trully want. Is that likely to be offered or is that not typical?

Any thoughts? We are regular cruisers, just not usually Norweigan.

Jenn

You can deselect the drink and dining package if you like.  There are blue boxes with check marks on the left side of the page when viewing the quote.  You do not have the option to deselect the wifi or shore excursions since there is not additional cost for those items.  Just don't log into the wifi if you don't want to.

image.png.44d0f976a98505182640006ff6c01654.png

Looks like Joy sailings this December (out of Miami) currently does NOT offer the no-frills Free At Sea cabin choices, the next best option would be to go with the FAS and un-check the Open Bar option ... Specialty Dining has that "modest" 20% upcharge for gratitudes.  Overall, it is priced higher to account for the extra freebies.  Or, wait and see if - after final payment is reached, whether the SailAway category options will come back, as they sometimes do, at least for Insides & often Oceanviews.  Prices for balconies aren't that much higher, except for X'Mas and New Year sailings.  

I also believe that if we book via one of the TA using one of our bank credit cards, free DSC are added along with a modest OBC from them (not from NCL).