Comparison of Princess Platinum and Elite Benefits Between 2019 and today

Guest ldtr

Of far more impact to new cruisers and Elite alike is captured in this article from reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/business/cruise-operators-plan-hike-prices-costs-rise-demand-swells-2023-08-03/

The article lays out the relative cost of cruising to other options.  What was 15 to 20% lower cost compared to other vacation options, grew to cruising being a 50% discount compared to those same options.  After price increases in the cruise industry that is still in the 25 to 50% range.  Other sources put it around 35%.  All of the cruise lines are going to try and narrow that back to the 15 to 20% range.  As such there will be significant price increases over the next year.

In the case of Princess one can expect as least a 10% price increase in the overall cost of cruising, maybe as high as 25%.  Costs are going up.  The only question is how fast and how high.  Based upon how much Princess and CCL has lagged behind RCL brands in raising prices I expect it to be above the mid point of that range.

Edited by ldtr

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Even if 20 sodas do cost quite a bit more than $15

I'd probably say princess pays way less than $15 for 20 sodas.  $15 is me bringing it onboard at embarkation and ports.  But I know you mean the $3 plus 18% or whatever the price is now.

1 minute ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I'd probably say princess pays way less than $15 for 20 sodas.  $15 is me bringing it onboard at embarkation and ports.  But I know you mean the $3 plus 18% or whatever the price is now.

Princess does.  But if you buy them on board that is what it costs  (about 2.50 + 18% = 2.95)  As such the 20 soft drinks is $59 if purchased on board by a passenger.

Good thing for you that Princess stil allows people that wish to haul them aboard to do so.  Some other lines do not.

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Good thing for you that Princess stil allows people that wish to haul them aboard to do so.  Some other lines do not.

With the increased prices of packages, I only bring onboard.  Could not pay those prices.  I would stop cruising in that scenario for sure.

And it will not surprise me if they do stop allowing that at some point.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It's the one benefit that hasn't changed since I got to elite.  With that said, on two separate occasions they lost items of ours, presumably gave them to another passenger, so unless we are on a longer than 7 day cruise, we don't use it. Or I just send stuff that if it doesn't come back, I won't be bothered by.

My wife sent out some slacks and got back a very tiny pair of "skinny jeans" that looked like they would fit a very young and thin girl. It took days to get the correct item back. From now on if we send out any laundry we will take pictures but we will likely just do our own laundry.

55 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

With the increased prices of packages, I only bring onboard.  Could not pay those prices.  I would stop cruising in that scenario for sure.

And it will not surprise me if they do stop allowing that at some point.  

Then you really can’t afford to cruise or even go to decent restaurants where you will pay for your soda and cannot bring your own beverages

11 hours ago, memoak said:

Then you really can’t afford to cruise or even go to decent restaurants where you will pay for your soda and cannot bring your own beverages

There are frugal cruisers on Princess that only book inside cabins, don't purchase Plus package, bring their own soda on board and try to spend as little as possible, with a small percentage even removing their gratuities.

As the costs associated with cruising start to ramp up, they may find themselves at a crossroads.  Take the left fork and quit cruising altogether.  Take the right fork and you'll have to subject yourself to cheaper cruise lines that are entry level in order to afford to cruise, such as, gasp, Carnival or MSC, the two value leaders that often have rock bottom prices on many of their sailings.  In the future when Princess no longer gives that cruiser the vacation value that they have been accustomed to, they may in fact reach that intersection in which they will have to determine if they're going to turn left or turn right and possibly choose a more value oriented ie cheaper cruise alternative.

43 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There are frugal cruisers on Princess that only book inside cabins, don't purchase Plus package, bring their own soda on board and try to spend as little as possible,

This is us, and as I said, not because we can't afford it, but we choose to save money where we see fit, and the drunk packages would cost us a lot of money with little to no return. 

45 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

As the costs associated with cruising start to ramp up, they may find themselves at a crossroads. 

Our crossroad would be not cruising and start going on different vacation types.  The value in cruising is changing for us.  We would not consider a lesser cruise option.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There are frugal cruisers on Princess that only book inside cabins, don't purchase Plus package, bring their own soda on board and try to spend as little as possible, with a small percentage even removing their gratuities.

As the costs associated with cruising start to ramp up, they may find themselves at a crossroads.  Take the left fork and quit cruising altogether.  Take the right fork and you'll have to subject yourself to cheaper cruise lines that are entry level in order to afford to cruise, such as, gasp, Carnival or MSC, the two value leaders that often have rock bottom prices on many of their sailings.  In the future when Princess no longer gives that cruiser the vacation value that they have been accustomed to, they may in fact reach that intersection in which they will have to determine if they're going to turn left or turn right and possibly choose a more value oriented ie cheaper cruise alternative.

We found fares on Carnival to be in the same range as Princess. On some itineraries the Carnival fares were higher. What makes Carnival calculate out as cheaper per passenger is the shorter average cruise length and the number of 3 or 4 to a cabin.  Same itineraries not much difference.

Problem is all travel costs have gone up considerably compared to 2019. Resort hotel up 60% or so.

Cruise lines have lagged while they were rebuilding occupancy. Now that occupancy is back prices are going up.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, bobnsandi said:

I didn't mention the cruise line, since this is (supposed to be) a discussion of Princess benefits. 😐

Anywayyyyy, I see mention of no longer cruising, and going with dry land travel. We nearly quit cruising in 2020, and started to travel in our "rubber tired cruiser". Has anyone checked hotel prices lately? They are charging more, way more, than pre-2020, and service simply does not exist. Hotel staff is either not there, or completely indifferent to customers. So, both land and sea travel are changing and one may look better than the other for a time, and then things may reverse, for all we know.

(A little background: until 2019, we lived for 11 years in a motorhome and traveled all over the U. S. Good times, but they are over. So, we hadn't stayed regularly in a hotel for 11 years. We were, and continue to be, shocked by lodging and food costs during travel in the U. S.)

For that matter the price of campgrounds and RV resorts. As well as the difficulty if getting reservations these days. Had a class B that we used during Covid. 

Thanks for putting this together. I’m doing my first Princess cruise since 2016 in January, so I was curious of the differences (but hadn’t taken the time to do this myself).

On 8/3/2023 at 2:50 PM, ldtr said:

Direct Comparison

Benefits added Since 2019

10% Off Lotus Spa Treatments

10% Off Excursions

Early Access to Dine My Way Reservations

Platinum/Elite Lounge

Complimentary Destination Selection

10% off photos in the photo Gallery

Items that have remained the same (there may be some changes in process and some may be less useful due to the number of people with same benefit)

2019 Elite members can preview and book cruises before the general public

2023 Early access to new Itineraries

2019 Priority tender embarkation

2023 Priority Ship to Shore water shuttle embarkation

2019 Priority Disembarkation

2019 Platinum Members, along with everyone in the same stateroom, can use the Platinum Disembarkation Lounge

2023 Priority Disembarkation

2019 Free Laundry and Profession Cleaning Services

2019 Shoe Polishing

2023 Complementary Laundry Services and Shoe Polishing

2019 Complimentary mini bar set up: you’ll receive a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water in your stateroom.

2023 Complimentary mini bar set up

2019 Upon request, a complimentary selection of canapés will be delivered to your stateroom on formal nights. (This can be ordered by completing the card in your stateroom and hanging it on your door the night prior.)

2023 Deluxe canape selection on formal nights

2019 Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom. (Request this via room service at least six hours prior.)

2023 Complimentary Afternoon tea in Stateroom

2019 Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting

2023 Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting Event

Those that have undergone significant Change since 2019

Internet

2019 Each Platinum member receives a complimentary Internet package that can be used in the Internet Café or on your own device. (Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes; Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes; Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes.)

2023 50% off Medallion Net Package

10% retail discount (change is discount not valid on sale items)

2019 10% discount in the onboard shops

2023 10% discount in the Shops of Princess

Embarkation (As number of Platinum and Elite grew this changed to lines often being as long in the priority line than the regular line, changed even more with the medallion. Today it is basically a special waiting area for those that check in prior the ship being cleared and that waiting area boarding first.

2019 Priority check-in at embarkation: Platinum members plus anyone traveling with you in the same stateroom can go right to the Priority Check-In desk

2023 Priority Boarding

Those that have totally gone away

2019 No matter what kind of stateroom you’re in, the bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

Can someone tell me what the upgraded amenities are? Before COVID it was a small bag with soap, cream rinse, shampoo and lotion, after COVID nothing. In the past 3 cruises 2022 (Sky and Enchanted) & 2023 (Sky) none were there and cabin stewards did not know what we were talking about.

38 minutes ago, gerlou said:

Can someone tell me what the upgraded amenities are? Before COVID it was a small bag with soap, cream rinse, shampoo and lotion, after COVID nothing. In the past 3 cruises 2022 (Sky and Enchanted) & 2023 (Sky) none were there and cabin stewards did not know what we were talking about.

Ooops…sorry…got it…it upgrated amenities have been stopped since 2019…lol 🤣

1 hour ago, gerlou said:

Bingo.  It was pretty much a gold bag with the items you mentioned plus an emery board and maybe a couple of other things..  It is now gone from the benefit list.

I’ve got a collection of  the gold 

bags. Even made up some bags for friends we have sailed with. Will never run out of the tubes of body lotion. Just about finished my tubes of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.   Did like those items. 

15 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

and the drunk packages would cost us a lot of money with little to no return. 

Gratuities, wifi, all the soda, water and espresso based coffees you would want, two visits to Alfredo's or other casual specialty venues.  That's a lot of return, brings a lot of value to many cruisers, even those who are mature enough to enjoy a few adult beverages and have it become no where near the "drunk package" as you call it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Current amenities: Toilet paper is provided

I agree. We almost reached a point where we brought our own tissues onboard. Attached is an all-passenger message from our World Cruise in 2018. The ship left Florida nearly out of toilet paper. In Panama, the crew filled a tender with locally-purchased toilet paper in order to restock. The passengers were dismayed by the "quality" of the local product. Hence the missive.

toilet_paper_sm.jpg

10 minutes ago, bobnsandi said:

I agree. We almost reached a point where we brought our own tissues onboard. Attached is an all-passenger message from our World Cruise in 2018. The ship left Florida nearly out of toilet paper. In Panama, the crew filled a tender with locally-purchased toilet paper in order to restock. The passengers were dismayed by the "quality" of the local product. Hence the missive.

toilet_paper_sm.jpg

Yes, but did Elite passengers get priority for the toilet paper?  Or did they get 150 minutes free use of it per cruise?  Or could they swap out their mini bar for 2 rolls of toilet paper?  Or did they get it laundered for free?

Is this another Elite amenity that has been eroded?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/5/2023 at 2:15 AM, memoak said:

I cannot speak for said poster you responded to, but the English may be a bit off in that there is a difference between "I could not pay" and"I cannot pay".

There are many charged products on princess that "I could not pay.... In good faith.... For" but that doesn't mean I cannot afford it.

The specialty restaurants, while decent, are way over priced for what you get. Meanwhile, I've taken and will take itineraries that exceed the highest daily full suite price on princess.

42 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

The specialty restaurants, while decent, are way over priced for what you get. Meanwhile, I've taken and will take itineraries that exceed the highest daily full suite price on princess.

Don't know your cruising history, but 39.00 for a specialty dinner on Princess is cheaper than similar venues on RCI, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL and MSC.

• Like 1