Luggage requirements

josephine678

Overseas flying home, do check airline rules on carryon bag's weight limits, some restrict your 22" to max of 10 kg or 22 lbs total. Ever try lifting the 35 lbs cabin bag into those overhead bins, not easy nor safe if flight run into turbulence and things started falling. 

Pack smartly & travel light. 

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Overseas flying home, do check airline rules on carryon bag's weight limits, some restrict your 22" to max of 10 kg or 22 lbs total. Ever try lifting the 35 lbs cabin bag into those overhead bins, not easy nor safe if flight run into turbulence and things started falling. 

Pack smartly & travel light. 

Someone actually became paralyzed on an air canada flight when a passengers extremely heavy carry on fell and broke his neck. There’s talk of AC limiting carry on weight as well. I can lift a 30+lb carry on without difficulty. I only travel that heavy when on business though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Someone actually became paralyzed on an air canada flight when a passengers extremely heavy carry on fell and broke his neck. There’s talk of AC limiting carry on weight as well. I can lift a 30+lb carry on without difficulty. I only travel that heavy when on business though.

Back problems can limit the weight of luggage as well.  Need to be very aware of what is really required.  No need to overpack IMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CathyGo7280 said:

The more overweight your bag is the more likely it is to be damaged or do damage. Those zippers can only contain so much and the porters back can only take so much. 

I would suggest you are probably overpacking by quite a bit. Even when I load up all my heavy work gear(including steel toed rubber boots) and what I'll need for 6 months on a ship I wouldn't fill a 30" suitcase and 2 carry ons.

If you don't want to discard anything I still think you'd be happier with two smaller and lighter suitcases than one larger one. It's easier to move through smaller spaces and you won't be risking someone's health and safety.

I fly almost every week for work with a bag that weighs > 50 lbs. My bag does not suffer any more damage than a light weight bag that tends to get thrown around more. 

And the whole thread started with the OP saying that they have a heavy large suitcase and should they go and buy more luggage to have two small cases. My answer is absolutely not. Absolutely no need to waste money because Cruise Critic members have an opinion on how to pack. Pack want you want, as much as you want, and the ship will accept it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I fly almost every week for work with a bag that weighs > 50 lbs. My bag does not suffer any more damage than a light weight bag that tends to get thrown around more. 

And the whole thread started with the OP saying that they have a heavy large suitcase and should they go and buy more luggage to have two small cases. My answer is absolutely not. Absolutely no need to waste money because Cruise Critic members have an opinion on how to pack. Pack want you want, as much as you want, and the ship will accept it. 

@BirdTravels,   You keep mentioning that the ship will take all bags, no matter how heavy.  That may be true, BUT the airlines will not!.  They are strict with the 50lb weight limit for economy fare ( I assume since you fly with AA points, or first class, the weight limit is lifted for you).  Most people have to fly to a cruise port, so the weight of their luggage is very important.  Excess weight fees can start at $125.00 per bag, and that is a very rude awaking for someone to find out at the airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Back problems can limit the weight of luggage as well.  Need to be very aware of what is really required.  No need to overpack IMO. 

Agreed, my carry on is that heavy for very important reasons in particular it has equipment that can not be in checked luggage. When I fly for work I carry rechargeable stage lighting which in checked luggage could risk the planes safety. This is not overpacking, it’s following safety requirements. Of my 130lb of luggage only 25lb are personal items like clothing, toiletries, and footwear.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, SoloAlaska said:

The general rule is 50lb for normal luggage unless it’s an “overweight” which is 70lb max. AA is the only airline I know of that has this perk for its frequent flyers of 3 oversized/overweight pieces each. Keep in mind however airports don’t process the oversize/overweight the same way as other luggage because it is heavier and staff have to be aware of this and follow proper protocol.

i’m a very frequent flyer on united and they also offer the 70 pounds perk. i think most airlines allow elite flyers to check bags heavier than what is normally allowed. the 70 pound limit on united also applies to business class fares. united actually allows bags up to 100 pounds, but you’ll pay as much as $400 for that privilege, regardless of status.

as for how the luggage is processed… it all goes to the same place and is handled by the same people. the only difference is they hang a “heavy” tag on it to warn handlers that it is overweight. there are no protocols per se, other than bending at the knees when lifting.

Edited by UKstages

On 8/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

@BirdTravels,   You keep mentioning that the ship will take all bags, no matter how heavy.  That may be true, BUT the airlines will not!.  They are strict with the 50lb weight limit for economy fare ( I assume since you fly with AA points, or first class, the weight limit is lifted for you).  Most people have to fly to a cruise port, so the weight of their luggage is very important.  Excess weight fees can start at $125.00 per bag, and that is a very rude awaking for someone to find out at the airport.

The OP never once mentioned anything about airlines. We don't need to beat the OP to death about airlines when they're asking about cruise line luggage requirements. 

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

The OP never once mentioned anything about airlines. We don't need to beat the OP to death about airlines when they're asking about cruise line luggage requirements. 

The NCL website state that there is a 50lb max weight allowance for luggage.  It also states to check with your airline regarding the airlines weight requirements.  It looks like ( IMO) that the cruise lines and airlines are are the same baggage weight requirements ( for economy flight requirements).  I wasn't beating up the OP, I was just stating that the airlines are very strict, and if you want to avoid extra baggage fees, get a hand held scale and weigh your bag before flying.  Obviously NCL does not charge extra weight fee ( yet).

12 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

The NCL website state that there is a 50lb max weight allowance for luggage.  It also states to check with your airline regarding the airlines weight requirements.  It looks like ( IMO) that the cruise lines and airlines are are the same baggage weight requirements ( for economy flight requirements).  I wasn't beating up the OP, I was just stating that the airlines are very strict, and if you want to avoid extra baggage fees, get a hand held scale and weigh your bag before flying.  Obviously NCL does not charge extra weight fee ( yet).

I stand corrected. That's fairly new as last time I researched it was a recommendation. I've never been too concerned as we take a carry on bag, plus two bookbag-style bags. Thank you for mentioning the update! Y'all can find it here: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack#:~:text=Bag Allowances,be delivered to your stateroom.

You weren't, but so many people were going down the path of airlines that it seemed like everyone was. 

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I stand corrected. That's fairly new as last time I researched it was a recommendation. I've never been too concerned as we take a carry on bag, plus two bookbag-style bags. Thank you for mentioning the update! Y'all can find it here: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack#:~:text=Bag Allowances,be delivered to your stateroom.

You weren't, but so many people were going down the path of airlines that it seemed like everyone was. 

I've never seen that enforced