Fare increased $300 per person while holding on line to book cruise.

candide333

I just held on the phone to cancel a cruise and book a new one. Princess quoted $200 more than what I saw online. Then, I checked on line to see if the fare was now $200 and it was now $300 more. Has anyone experienced this?  Is it possible it is a glitch and the cruise will be reduced to what it was an hour ago? I received an email with the sale. Maybe there were so many bookings, it triggered a price increase. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, candide333 said:

I just held on the phone to cancel a cruise and book a new one. Princess quoted $200 more than what I saw online. Then, I checked on line to see if the fare was now $200 and it was now $300 more. Has anyone experienced this?  Is it possible it is a glitch and the cruise will be reduced to what it was an hour ago? I received an email with the sale. Maybe there were so many bookings, it triggered a price increase. 

I wouldn’t call to book a cruise. I realize you were already on the phone for a cancellation but if you were to just book it online, it literately takes a minute or two.

The phone reps don’t really know what they’re doing and it takes forever for them to complete anything. 

I think it was just lousy luck that the price jumped while you were booking it. 

• Like 2

This (prev poster) !!  .  If you aren't using an agent and booking directly, just book the darn cruise when you spot one you want and worry about the phone call later.  You can put it on courtesy hold if you don't want to apply deposit right away.  There is no need to get a phone agent to place a reservation.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This (prev poster) !!  .  If you aren't using an agent and booking directly, just book the darn cruise when you spot one you want and worry about the phone call later.  You can put it on courtesy hold if you don't want to apply deposit right away.  There is no need to get a phone agent to place a reservation.

I asked that same question on live chat today.  Agent said that I could not put it on a courtesy hold.  I had to "book" it to get a number and use my FCD.  I fooled him.  Texted my TA immediately and she booked it an hour later.  It was a risk.  There was only one Window Suite left.  Agent did tell me what cabin.  I couldn't book it online since I could not see cabin numbers.  Plus site was circling.  

9 minutes ago, candide333 said:

I agree with you both. I did just book it online and for the original price, but I need to call Princess tomorrow. The agent didn’t cancel my original cruise and I want to use my FFC. 

Okay.  That's fine.  New booking on hold and you have three days to work it out.  Before you have Princess cancel your booking, check the expiry of your FCD (I am guessing this is what you meant).  It has to still be active or the cancelation of the booking will also cancel the FCD and auto-refund it.  If it is expired, have the PCL agent get the date extended to current and then do the cancel and FCD will be preserved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay.  That's fine.  New booking on hold and you have three days to work it out.  Before you have Princess cancel your booking, check the expiry of your FCD (I am guessing this is what you meant).  It has to still be active or the cancelation of the booking will also cancel the FCD and auto-refund it.  If it is expired, have the PCL agent get the date extended to current and then do the cancel and FCD will be preserved.

Thanks. It has been a while since I dealt with Princess.  I had a cruise booked with my daughter, but I fractured my hip and five days later my daughter passed. Thankfully, I had insurance and only lost the cost of the insurance. I am not really up for all this fare drama. 

2 minutes ago, candide333 said:

Thanks. It has been a while since I dealt with Princess.  I had a cruise booked with my daughter, but I fractured my hip and five days later my daughter passed. Thankfully, I had insurance and only lost the cost of the insurance. I am not really up for all this fare drama. 

Oh my - that is a lot to deal with.  Sorry to read that and hope things get somewhat better for you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, candide333 said:

I’m so sorry for your missing out on time with your daughter.  Planning a cruise used to be the fun part.  Wishing you get the cruise you want.