Maui options

CaptJerry51

On 8/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, CruiserBruce said:

It just happened this week. Give them some time to figure it out. Believe me, the cruise ship traffic IS NOT the priority!

My opinion is the all cruise lines should help with the total rebuild of the island.

They were a big part of using the island for business, now they need to help with the rebuild. We are watching NCL, Carnival,RC. Please don’t allow those people to go uncared for. 
Just my 2 cents, Peace ✝️

Technically, it would be possible with a little work to tender into Maalae harbor, once thing settle down. It is the alternative site for the ferry. The waters are deep enough off shore within tender distance. A number of tour boats are based there and it is next to the Maui Ocean Center. It would provide a tender stop for that side of the island outside of the Lahiana impacted area.

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

What you are saying is a perfect representation of what is bugging some in Hawaii, and on Maui specifically. The outside of Hawaii, tourist dollar driven people telling Hawaiians how they should live their lives. There have been several recent actions to decrease, or attempt to decrease the effect of tourist dollars on Maui. You could relate it to cruise lines being squeezed out of other ports in the world, Hawaiian style.

People are already saying that the vultures (real estate agents and investors) are already contacting  residents of Lahiana trying to get them to sell. 

There really needs to be a non-profit to help people that otherwise could not afford to rebuild, to rebuild and stay there.

I keep trying to find one, but have not had any luck.

Otherwise I fear that we will see another migration off of the island and the rebuilt Lahaina will be more like Wailea, than the old Lahaina.

14 hours ago, ldtr said:

Technically, it would be possible with a little work to tender into Maalae harbor, once thing settle down. It is the alternative site for the ferry. The waters are deep enough off shore within tender distance. A number of tour boats are based there and it is next to the Maui Ocean Center. It would provide a tender stop for that side of the island outside of the Lahiana impacted area.

How far id that from Kanapali & Kapalula   .Can we get   public transport to those areas ?

31 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

How far id that from Kanapali & Kapalula   .Can we get   public transport to those areas ?

Its about halfway between Kapalua and Lahaina, give or take, Kapalua is further north of Lahaina. I think the correct title is is Maalaea Harbor. It is commonly mentioned here as the best access for snorkeling if docked in Kahalua. There is a bus that stops there.

No indication at this time this is actually going to happen. Somebody else mentioned here that they see that KDam is scheduled to dock at Kahalui in December.

The benefit might be that putting pax ashore there would be in the midst of the whale and watersports areas, outside of Lahaina.

14 hours ago, ldtr said:

IMO, highly unlikely.   Ma'alaea Harbor does have shopping, restrooms, restaurants, etc...; but the Locals won't like it. Not one bit.  They didn't like ships in Lahaina either. Not to mention that the waters off Ma'alaea are a Humpback Sanctuary November-May. The sight of a cruise ship tendering folks thru that very delicate ecosystem will send people off the ledge. I suspect it will be Kahului or bust.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IMO, highly unlikely.   Ma'alaea Bay does have shopping, restrooms, restaurants, etc...; but the Locals won't like it. Not one bit.  They didn't like ships in Lahaina either. Not to mention that the waters off Ma'alaea Bay are a Humpback Sanctuary November-May. The sight of a cruise ship tendering folks thru that very delicate ecosystem will send people off the ledge. I suspect it will be Kahului or bust.

We hope that this all works well for every one concerned . For us it would be easier going into a deep sea port to go for tours  vs tendering . We all will need to wait & see what Holland has in mind about Maui or adding on to another Hawaiian port a day . We are ok with either way 

57 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Don't bother. Before the fire you could get public transport to Kapalua from Kahului, but note that it's a nearly a 3 hour bus ride with two bus exchanges. From Ma'aleae bay to Kapalua will be 2 hours with one exchange at the (non-existing) wharf. 

I just got notice from the Ritz Carlton Kapalua that they aren't accepting tourists into September. Instead they are using their facilities to house those displaced. I believe that the Hilton and Sheraton in Kaanapali are doing the same.

If you must visit Maui, please consider staying on the Kahului side of the island. There is plenty to see in terms of Hilo, Kihei, Walia, Halealaka. Let the west heal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Don't bother. Before the fire you could get public transport to Kapalua from Kahului, but note that it's a nearly a 3 hour bus ride with two bus exchanges. From Ma'aleae bay to Kapalua will be 2 hours with one exchange at the (non-existing) wharf. 

I just got notice from the Ritz Carlton Kapalua that they aren't accepting tourists into September. Instead they are using their facilities to house those displaced. I believe that the Hilton and Sheraton in Kaanapali are doing the same.

If you must visit Maui, please consider staying on the Kahului side of the island. There is plenty to see in terms of Hilo, Kihei, Walia, Halealaka. Let the west heal. 

10 years ago we were staying 2 weeks in a Kekei  gated condo  ,rented a car & drove over to Kahului  .We did go for the 2nd tome to the Needlel . So it seems that wither rent a car of do Holland tours . We been through all the areas you mention & much more  like the road to Hana .We been to the Ocean park & I  snorkled at Mallkini Reef  .So we done pretty much all of it  .Perhsps we will just enjoy the ship being empty if it docks in kahuui , We have the pool ,hot tuns snacks all there aboard ship 

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its about halfway between Kapalua and Lahaina, give or take, Kapalua is further north of Lahaina. I think the correct title is is Maalaea Harbor. It is commonly mentioned here as the best access for snorkeling if docked in Kahalua. There is a bus that stops there.

No indication at this time this is actually going to happen. Somebody else mentioned here that they see that KDam is scheduled to dock at Kahalui in December.

The benefit might be that putting pax ashore there would be in the midst of the whale and watersports areas, outside of Lahaina.

Maalaea Harbor is actually between Lahaina and Kihei, closer to Kihei, so it is south of Lahaina.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

10 years ago we were staying 2 weeks in a Kekei  gated condo  ,rented a car & drove over to Kahului  

Wow! Two weeks in paradise in a gated community. I envy you.

BTW, there's a warning about toxic stuff left by the fire...

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfires-toxic-fumes-recovery-2a2e25c013c9fce39041718848028c3b

On 8/11/2023 at 4:53 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

BermudaBound2014 -  Sorry for the delay in responding.  It has been an unreal time, but we are fine and our home has done pretty well.

Very glad to hear you are okay and are in relatively good shape. I suppose the question is now, where to grocery shop. It sounds like Times Supermarket in Honokowai is the only full sized grocery store left. It sounds like Safeway and both Foodlands would be gone.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:57 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Those cars in front of the outlet mall in the above pic are freaking me out.

When I saw the burned out cars on Front Street, three abreast, I knew what had happened. It is terrifying and heartbreaking. The only place to go was in the ocean and not every one would have been capable of doing that.

On 8/13/2023 at 10:03 AM, CruiserBruce said:

The fact is there is a strong sentiment AGAINST tourism on Maui.

Strong sentiment from the people who elected the politicians who allowed Maui to grow out of control the way it did? In 1960 Maui and Kauai were relatively close in population, even in 1970 they were, but the politicians on Maui, approved an unprecedented growth in building. While Kauai went from 27,000 in 1960 to 75,000, Maui went from 35,000 to 167,000. If it had grown at the same rate as Kauai, it would be about 94,000 now.

As of about 2010, there were more people living on Maui not born in the state of Hawaii, let alone Maui, than were born in Hawaii. The foreign born population is close to 20%.

The residents of Maui made this bed. They let tourism become too big a part of the economy and did nothing to diversify as agriculture declined. Plow under the cane fields and pineapple fields, build condos seemed too easy, and it was.

On 8/13/2023 at 3:49 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Latest report.  Newly built tender pier survived the fire.  T

Given the destruction I saw in the harbor, that seems impossible, but I am happy if it did. It was a huge investment.

On 8/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, mcrcruiser said:

imo I believe Lahania can recover a lot faster as long as politics does not  enter into the rebuilding 

Bwah ha ha ha.... Hawaii is an incredibly corrupt state and corrupt politically. It will take them two years to agree on HOW to rebuild Lahaina, i.e. stay with the 1820's-1850's whaling village theme

or do something else. Don't look for any quick approvals on demolition and new building permits.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:23 AM, CruiserBruce said:

What you are saying is a perfect representation of what is bugging some in Hawaii, and on Maui specifically. The outside of Hawaii, tourist dollar driven people telling Hawaiians how they should live their lives.

As I said above, it was the people of Maui themselves, in electing the politicians they did, who made Maui what it became. It is amazing how many NIMBYs on Maui were not born on Maui or in Hawaii. It was Maui politicians chasing outside Hawaii tourist dollars who created the problem, but I don't see any self awareness in Maui residents how they got where they are.

17 hours ago, tl12356 said:

My opinion is the all cruise lines should help with the total rebuild of the island.

They were a big part of using the island for business, now they need to help with the rebuild.

The cruise industry is a tiny fraction of the visitors to Hawaii. In January 2023 daily arrivals by air was 257,000, daily arrivals by cruise ships was 2,400. The cruise lines do their part by bringing visitors to spend money and pay the docking fees. I am sure they will help, but their contribution to the crowding of Maui is miniscule.

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Pretty far and I'd say zippo on public transportation. Ma`alaea Harbor isn't really an option as there are no facilities.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its about halfway between Kapalua and Lahaina, give or take, Kapalua is further north of Lahaina.

I think you meant halfway between Kahului and Lahaina. I see no advantage to using Ma`alaea Harbor, just pitfalls.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IMO, highly unlikely.   Ma'alaea Harbor does have shopping, restrooms, restaurants, etc...; but the Locals won't like it. Not one bit.  They didn't like ships in Lahaina either. Not to mention that the waters off Ma'alaea are a Humpback Sanctuary November-May. The sight of a cruise ship tendering folks thru that very delicate ecosystem will send people off the ledge. I suspect it will be Kahului or bust.

The area off Lahaina where they anchored and tendered is also part of the same Sanctuary as is everything between Maui, and Lanai, and Molokai.

36 minutes ago, Morebeer said:

Know NCL has that Pride of America ship based in Honolulu. Does anyone know if its headed to Maui to help out?

As mentioned on your other thread, check on the NCL board to see if there is any discussion on cancelation of POA cruises. I doubt it.

21 hours ago, Morebeer said:

Know NCL has that Pride of America ship based in Honolulu. Does anyone know if its headed to Maui to help out?

Help with what? There are plenty of ships and barges in Hawaii to bring in supplies and necessities.

We are scheduled on the Disney Wonder. We are scheduled to arrive mid October this year in Kahuili. Last year we were also on the same selling, and we drove over to Lahaina and discovered Betty’s Café on front Street. Our plan was to go there again. 😞. So far we’ve heard nothing from Disney on what changes they’re gonna make it funny but I really don’t see us docking. I have a car rented down the road from the port and I honeslty just can’t see rental sitting around waiting for tourists when thousands of locals don’t have anything. 

I mean, I don’t know if the east side of the island like road to Hana seems totally unaffected from the fires . One one handI just can’t see the island taking any additional people on, tourist or not,   but yet they depend on tourist dollars

15 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

I mean, I don’t know if the east side of the island like road to Hana seems totally unaffected from the fires . One one handI just can’t see the island taking any additional people on, tourist or not,   but yet they depend on tourist dollars

I think it will be a wait and see to what Disney and local authorities do in October-- the fact that you are not tendering at Lahaina is most likely a positive here and increases the chances that you'll be able to come to Maui. 

As I suspected, you can now book many West Maui resorts starting in Sept/Oct on Kaanapali and Kapalua. Who knows if that will change but the Westin, Marriott, Sheraton, and Ritz-Carlton are now letting you book (and I'm sure the rest are too unless they were specifically contracted to house displaced folks). I think BermudaBound had said recently she heard the Ritz planned a September reopening so this makes sense. 

I don't think that renting a car at the airport in Kahului will be an issue at that point (you can actually rent one today if you had to with plenty of availability). As you said, for better or for worse, the island does depend on tourism and I would think that Kaanapali and Kapalua will be open for business. Obviously Lahaina won't be an option but Wailea will also be (wasn't impacted) and you could still do Hana and stay on that side of the island. 

The bottom line is that tourism should not impede the ability to get aid, supplies, and help to those who need it but tourism will be required in order to build back the island. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

We are scheduled on the Disney Wonder. We are scheduled to arrive mid October this year in Kahuili. Last year we were also on the same selling, and we drove over to Lahaina and discovered Betty’s Café on front Street. Our plan was to go there again. 😞. So far we’ve heard nothing from Disney on what changes they’re gonna make it funny but I really don’t see us docking. I have a car rented down the road from the port and I honeslty just can’t see rental sitting around waiting for tourists when thousands of locals don’t have anything.

Betty's Beach Cafe was closed due to a cockroach infestation at the end of July.

I think Disney will still stop there. I'd keep the car and go Up Country or to Wailea and show some love to the local businesses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Betty's Beach Cafe was closed due to a cockroach infestation at the end of July.

I think Disney will still stop there. I'd keep the car and go Up Country or to Wailea and show some love to the local businesses.

Oh My! that is not good.. yuck... most likely the cockroaches survied.. they survive everything.

had to google up country.. Can you recommend any beaches nice and calm we could tie in to up an up country drive?  Wailea and Kaanapali Beach is on our list as a possibility .. We feel road to Hana to stressful for a one day.. though we might go the first miles in. Cant decide. now. 

Edited by mousefan73

1 hour ago, mousefan73 said:

Oh My! that is not good.. yuck... most likely the cockroaches survied.. they survive everything.

had to google up country.. Can you recommend any beaches nice and calm we could tie in to up an up country drive?  Wailea and Kaanapali Beach is on our list as a possibility .. We feel road to Hana to stressful for a one day.. though we might go the first miles in. Cant decide. now. 

This map was generated by locals to help tourist know where to visit at this time. The situation is dynamic, but October is only a few short weeks away. I'd plan to stick to areas that are open.  Kaanapali is on the west side. I'd wouldn't plan to venture there. Kahului is the only port accepting ship and it's on the 'open' side.

Visit Hilo, Paia, Upcountry, Kihei, Ma'alaea, Wailea-Makena. For beach, Makena is great, but be very aware of ocean conditions on the particular day you are visiting. It's called  'break-neck' beach for a reason. If not Makena, any stretch along Kihei/wailea coast. Sugar beach in the north part of Kihei is the longest stretch of white sand on the island. 

image.thumb.png.ec6d6e09da80e09033571fce128b138a.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about the beaches on the coast by Paia? I’ll checked it out Google maps and seems like there’s quite a few east of the airport. Maybe we could just do those and then do the road to Hana a little bit and then turn around? My mom is 72 so we need a beach. That’s a quick in and out and we wouldnt be  more than one hour. Ideally more like a park with benches. 

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

The North side of Maui will be likely too rough as we head towards winter. I'd look at Kam III Beach.

My mom wont go in and I would only go into my knees, though rough waves will knock one over or pull out.. but thanks for that tip. Let's see what Disney decides we are scheduled to arrive I think Oct 11th. 

If ships come in I think it would be great if they somehow organized a thing where cruise passengers could bring whatever supplies we could bring in.. I know money is what is really needed, but if there are things from the mainland that are hard to come by. I' be happy to bring a sheet set, personal products etc...