Some HAL entertainment additions to come

Copper10-8

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Some people like to dance 

??? I don't see the connection to people wanting music to back a conversation. Of course, people who like to dance want music. I think it will be great if HAL puts a band on Ocean Bar on all of the ships. It was a shame to see the dance floor empty for so long.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

??? I don't see the connection to people wanting music to back a conversation. Of course, people who like to dance want music. I think it will be great if HAL puts a band on Ocean Bar on all of the ships. It was a shame to see the dance floor empty for so long.

The ocean bar band plays easy dancing tunes which are also pleasant for  background for a pleasant happy hour conversation.  A variety of people are happy , no big amplifiers blaring out anyone and HAL sells lots of drinks. Win, win, win.   If you sit close you get the musical enjoyment plus the dancers get to dance.  The other folks can have a lovely happy hour.   

oceania does a similar thing with a string quartet playing during afternoon tea, no one has to sit quietly.

The concept of music listened to in reverent silence is not the only valid way.   It is also a background to life and because that is how some choose to enjoy their music doesn’t mean they should be subject to piped in canned music.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If you sit close you get the musical enjoyment plus the dancers get to dance.

In theory, this would be perfect. The reality is that, oftentimes, the giant group of loud people want to sit close to the music too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, seaoma said:

In theory, this would be perfect. The reality is that, oftentimes, the giant group of loud people want to sit close to the music too.

For introspective listening there is a large underutilized theater on the ship and on some ships an additional more intimate underutilized theater.  I still don’t think because I enjoy the active scene means I should have to listen to piped I music as was suggested in this thread.  There are venues aplenty.  Music is for living 

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

For introspective listening there is a large underutilized theater on the ship and on some ships an additional more intimate underutilized theater.  I still don’t think because I enjoy the active scene means I should have to listen to piped I music as was suggested in this thread.  There are venues aplenty.  Music is for living 

All groups can co-exist if the loud group, that is really more interested in socializing, doesn't take over the other group that is enjoying quiet conversation that doesn't permeate the room or the group that likes to dance. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, seaoma said:

All groups can co-exist if the loud group, that is really more interested in socializing, doesn't take over the other group that is enjoying quiet conversation that doesn't permeate the room or the group that likes to dance. 

Some people have bad manners, whatcha going to do?  It happens.    That was not a result of the venue or the programming. 

Edited by Mary229

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Some people have bad manners, whatcha going to do?  It happens.    That was not a result of the venue or the programming. 

Now more than ever. I'm not really sure what the problem is here. I was lamenting the loud people in a bar with quiet music. You like to dance but no one said anything about not being able to dance. 

@3rdGenCunarder and I were just wondering why people want live music when they have no intention of listening to it. In that instance canned music should be fine -  they aren't listening to it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seaoma said:

@3rdGenCunarder and I were just wondering why people want live music when they have no intention of listening to it.

Ah, but sitting and chatting with friends, while having a drink doesn't mean you aren't also listening to the music at the same time. It is still background music, but you hear it. At least I do. My ears will pick up on what is being played, and if something is especially well done, I will hear it. 
It worked in the Ocean Bar on every HAL ship for dozens of years, and there's no reason it can't work again. 

The canned, piped-in music choices are awful. I can hardly find a decent place to sit inside the ship during the day due to that awful overhead music. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Now more than ever. I'm not really sure what the problem is here. I was lamenting the loud people in a bar with quiet music. You like to dance but no one said anything about not being able to dance. 

@3rdGenCunarder and I were just wondering why people want live music when they have no intention of listening to it. In that instance canned music should be fine -  they aren't listening to it.

The problem is the canned music.   That is like saying if you want classical music buy some good earbuds and listen to the philharmonic on YouTube. 

• Like 2

Just now, RuthC said:

Ah, but sitting and chatting with friends, while having a drink doesn't mean you aren't also listening to the music at the same time.

Chatting with friends is not what I have a problem with. I do talk with the people I'm sitting with.  It's the people that are laughing at the funniest thing they have ever heard in their life, over and over, all the while never once acknowledging  the band is even there. They aren't there for the music so why not sit as far away from the live music as possible and still receive bar service? It's very easy on most of the HAL ships I have been on.

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

The problem is the canned music.   That is like saying if you want classical music buy some good earbuds and listen to the philharmonic on YouTube. 

For people that aren't listening to the music anyway.

3 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I thought the point of Happy Hour was a discount on drinks.

I don’t drink but I certainly enjoy happy hour.   It is a general gathering with great camaraderie and a wonderful way to unwind before dinner

• Like 2

I don’t drink but I certainly enjoy happy hour.   It is a general gathering with great camaraderie and a wonderful way to unwind before dinner

Fine. That's only if you eat at 5:30. For those people that eat at 7 or 8 what is it? It's a place to enjoy some live music while possibly having a cocktail. 

I will never agree that someone should sit close to the live band and socialize to the extent that the others can't enjoy the live music, no matter if it's at Happy Hour or not. I don't know what else to tell you. If that offends you somehow, we are at an impasse.

Just now, seaoma said:

Fine. That's only if you eat at 5:30. For those people that eat at 7 or 8 what is it? It's a place to enjoy some live music while possibly having a cocktail. 

I will never agree that someone should sit close to the live band and socialize to the extent that the others can't enjoy the live music, no matter if it's at Happy Hour or not. I don't know what else to tell you. If that offends you somehow, we are at an impasse.

I said that a couple of posts ago.  😉 

56 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

One listens to recorded music. One feels live music.

No matter the genre.

Miked classical music on a cavernous stage with no natural acoustics is not even worth the price of finding a seat.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

One listens to recorded music. One feels live music.

No matter the genre.

Miked classical music on a cavernous stage with no natural acoustics is not even worth the price of finding a seat.

Exactly my point.  Different music for different events.  Live happy hour music sets an atmosphere and make it an enjoyable gathering. 

• Like 1

Exactly my point.  Different music for different events.  Live happy hour music sets an atmosphere and make it an enjoyable gathering. 

What good is live music if you can't hear it?

11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The whole music walk concept, though entertaining as it may be, does limit socialization.   A little camaraderie goes a long way for an enjoyable cruise.  The only option on current ships is happy hour at the ocean bar when there is live music and the expectation that people are socializing.  The piano bars used to be interactive and fun but now they are just stage performances.

On the Pinnacle class ships at least, we found the Music Walk very sociable over the past few years, and have made several good friends because of it. Between sets there is ample time to talk to your neighbours in all of the venues, especially for the later time slots. 

We also found the duelling piano bar interactive, as the performers took requests, conducted sing-alongs, and spent time after their sets with the guests. On our last 18 day trip, the piano players knew most of the guests by name and would pick songs they thought we would like. It was impressive how many songs were in their repertoire, and how quick they were able to learn new songs.

29 minutes ago, robotpony said:

On the Pinnacle class ships at least, we found the Music Walk very sociable over the past few years, and have made several good friends because of it. Between sets there is ample time to talk to your neighbours in all of the venues, especially for the later time slots. 

We also found the duelling piano bar interactive, as the performers took requests, conducted sing-alongs, and spent time after their sets with the guests. On our last 18 day trip, the piano players knew most of the guests by name and would pick songs they thought we would like. It was impressive how many songs were in their repertoire, and how quick they were able to learn new songs.

My main complaint with the music walk is it is always just LOUD.   It is meant to be  a concert and I don’t think anyone at BB Kings is angry with passengers strolling by talking, this was discussed in relation to classical music.   Classical music belongs in an enclosed space if they want it to be a strictly listening experience. 

there is still room for a lounge experience with casual conversation, light dancing and live background music.  Complaints were given that the other passengers we too loud, that happens. And it happens in the MDR sometimes too. 

I am glad you had a good piano bar scene on your last cruise.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

What good is live music if you can't hear it?

You don't have to be consciously paying attention to music to derive pleasure from it. Good music, not blaring out at you, can feed your soul directly. 

At work, a very long time ago, we had a low volume music system playing softly in the morning. In the afternoon the music was changed to a hard rock. 
I noticed a major difference in how people were with each other in the two different times of day. In the morning, they were quieter, and actually behaved nicer to each other. In the afternoons, much more agitated. 

• Like 4