Decrease in Taxes and Port Charges

dresterj

I booked a cruise back in February 2023 with an airline TA for a sailing in December 2023. However, today I noticed that if booked today the taxes and port fees are nearly half as they were in February (669.82 vs. 379.82). I have heard of fees changes , but never this large. This seems very odd. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any explanation?

I called the TA and the agent seemed clueless when I asked about it and just offered a price adjustment (which would include an increase in the cruise fare). 

make sure you look at each line item correctly and carefully. some ta like to lump the port tax, gratuities, and free at sea together as one one item that usually says port taxes and fees. the invoice system that ta uses may not able to break down what the actual port taxes are

Yes, that happened to me, port taxes went down about $150 on a cruise I'd booked about a year in advance. And at that time, the fares were higher so repricing wasn't really an option. My PCC at that time also told me too bad, so sad that even if I repriced the fees would stay the same.  Well that wasn't true, the fees were adjusted when I repriced at a later date

But I did just check the itineraries and we lost a port which could explain the fee change.