Coffee Options on NCL Pearl

Cruzinnana47

49 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Sailing soon on the Pearl.  Looking for best places on board for brewed coffee (other than Starbuck's, which we don't care for).  I know the buffet has coffee, but it is fresh brewed?

The best coffee, IMHO, is the single packets you brew in your stateroom. If not provided upon boarding, simply ask your steward for a coffee set-up ( coffee maker, packets, sugar/sweeteners,half and half, stirrers, cups). Again, IMHO, the coffee in the buffet tastes/looks like colored/flavored water; the French Press coffee you could paint your house with; and Starbuck’s all tastes burnt. Happy Cruising!

We are coffee snobs, and while sailing on Prima last October, had to depend on Starbucks every morning. Coffee on MDR are just horrible, even the Starbucks brand they sell in MDR not the same as the store.  The Starbucks store had Verona dark roast, my favorite.

IMHO there’s not a good coffee option other than the French Press in Le Bistro and the Haven or the espresso machine in the studio lounge.  Unfortunately the first two are only available when you’re in the Haven or eating at Le Bistro.  The espresso machine is only available to solos staying on a studio.  The other option is Starbucks at an extra cost.  

I also have to warn you.  It appears that they’ve changed to Coffee Mate all over the ship (except Starbucks).  Ick.  Sometimes you can find a pitcher of half and half in the buffet.  But not always. 😢

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all, for your replies.  To be fair, NCL is not exclusive in the pretty lousy coffee...the regular coffee on Princess is made from some kind of syrup concentrate,,,like dishwater.  The good coffee on Princess ships is at the International Cafe.  To us the Starbuck's coffee always tastes burnt, like @cruiserbear55 said.  Not a fan.  Think it's overpriced, too.

Haven't sailed with NCL since before the pandemic and seem to remember while on a cruise on the NCL Gem some years ago, we were able to get brewed coffee at a station at O'Sheehan's.  Also, my friend found a coffee urn at the buffet on the Gem that had fresh brewed coffee and it wasn't bad.

5 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Sailing soon on the Pearl.  Looking for best places on board for brewed coffee (other than Starbuck's, which we don't care for).  I know the buffet has coffee, but it is fresh brewed?

I remember watching a ship tour video and someone mentioning their is a coffee bar at O’Sheehan’s! I will also be boarding the Pearl soon and really hoping this is still offered as I would like to avoid the regular coffee offered by NCL. 

I was plenty happy with the coffee I made in my cabin.  Since I only drink one cup per day that worked for me.  My daughter was too lazy to make in her’s in cabin so she tried coffee in MDR and said it was awful so she picked up coffee at Starbucks each morning on the way to breakfast.

I sailed on the Pearl in the Before Times, so this may have changed. But, there was one coffee maker in the buffet that had fresh ground beans. You may want to walk all the way around the buffet at all the beverage stations and see if that machine snuck thru everything. Worth a shot. BTW- it looks just like the other liquid coffee machines, so look on top for the canister of beans.

Self-professed coffee snob here (that loves Coffee-Mate; is that a bad thing?!?)...do yourself a favor and bring your own.  I agree with the assessment for the brewed coffee - yuck! And Starbucks also tastes burnt to me and is very overpriced.  It was so bad during my last cruise on the Sun I quit wasting my Coffee-Mate and just switched to tea about halfway through.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I was never a coffee drinker until someone introduced me to Vermont Coffee Company's organic whole bean roast and I grind my own only when I am ready to make coffee. Now that I make that for my husband, I don't think he is keen on cruiseship coffee, even in O'Sheehan's (I've only had tea in O'sheehan's). We never have a coffee set up on ships, but if I did, I would bring my own Vermont Coffee Company's, but ground before I leave home. Maybe you have a favorite coffee bean?