Istanbul sites on your own vs ship tour

We have a ship tour booked but we tend to like to do things on our own .   I've been reading the other recent post on this forum on how walkable Istanbul is and how to navigate the tram.  That said, is it still worthwhile to stick with the ship tour  as they most likely have access tickets already in hand?  If we opt to do this on our own, are the lines to access these sites so lengthy that it's in our best interest to stay with a ship tour? We are overnight in Istanbul, so that first day timing isn't critical to be back on the ship at a certain time. Our goal for the first day was Hagia Sopha, Blue Mosque, Cistern, Grand Bizarre.  Thanks to all.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Our goal for the first day was Hagia Sopha, Blue Mosque, Cistern, Grand Bizarre. 

No tickets are needed for the Grand Bazaar as it is a shopping destination. Walk in and out as and when you please.

No tickets are needed for the Blue Mosque and you can only enter it outwith prayer times  and not at all on a Friday, so you may or may not be able to actually visit the interior. Over the years and with multiple visits to Istanbul, we visited twice, and early evening was the best time for us, walking right in each time. If overnighting, and unsuccessful during the day you might want to try this.

No tickets are need for Hagia Sophia but it too is a working mosque nowadays so again, not during prayer times. Expect long lines.

The Basilica Cistern (as I assume you mean this one) will require tickets.

I suggest you check official websites for your three sights for up-to-date information, also prayer times for two of them so you can avoid, and read current  reviews of all three for any tips regarding entry lines . Also check if it is possible buy tickets for the cistern ahead of time, and maybe pre-book a time as well if that is possible.

Or if there is a pass of some description which would give you access more quickly?

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As per the Edinburgher's comments, plus.............. 

Ships' tours use buses, so they get stuck in traffic between the port and Sultanahmet, while trams breeze past on their own dedicated part of the road.

Transportation between the sights that you mention isn't necessary - if the ship uses a bus for those short distances it'll actually take longer than walking.

Some ships' tours have been pilloried for wasting folks' time taking them to a carpet shop, jewellery workshop etc under the guise of a "craft demonstration",  where the ship earns commission on sales.

If a ship's tour involves a meal, as well as taking up valuable time that dictates the timing, so a visit to a sight before that break can be ridiculously short. 

Consequently folk have complained that their ship's tour in Istanbul has been little more than sitting in traffic, plus an unwanted selling stop, plus a meal.

JB 🙂

ps The Grand Bazaar is very interesting but not particularly bizzare. That's why I avoid predictive text 😏😀 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2023 at 2:07 PM, mickeysgal said:

We have a ship tour booked but we tend to like to do things on our own .   I've been reading the other recent post on this forum on how walkable Istanbul is and how to navigate the tram.  That said, is it still worthwhile to stick with the ship tour  as they most likely have access tickets already in hand?  If we opt to do this on our own, are the lines to access these sites so lengthy that it's in our best interest to stay with a ship tour? We are overnight in Istanbul, so that first day timing isn't critical to be back on the ship at a certain time. Our goal for the first day was Hagia Sopha, Blue Mosque, Cistern, Grand Bizarre.  Thanks to all.

May I ask when you will be there?  We will be there  overnight as well, October 4-5.  I have a similar question about using the tram.  Thanks.  

19 hours ago, Cru Doll said:

May I ask when you will be there?  We will be there  overnight as well, October 4-5.  I have a similar question about using the tram.  Thanks.  

You forgot to ask your question. There will be much info on how to use the trams both in past threads and online. For the latter, Google is your friend.

Edited by edinburgher

On 8/26/2023 at 6:40 AM, edinburgher said:

You forgot to ask your question. There will be much info on how to use the trams both in past threads and online. For the latter, Google is your friend.

Oops.  I was referencing mickeysgal’s question which included using the tram.  We are concerned about meeting a tour on time.  We’ll be docked at Galataport, so will need to purchase tram tickets after going through the very large port.  Any suggestion about the time we will need?  We dock at 12 noon for an overnight visit.  It looks like we are the only ship in port that day.  

18 minutes ago, Cru Doll said:

We’ll be docked at Galataport, so will need to purchase tram tickets after going through the very large port.  Any suggestion about the time we will need?

Sorry, but we have not used the newer terminal building, but there are previous threads which mention it, and maybe googling might bring up some info too.

Use the SEARCH facilty to find previous threads, but this recent one might help, especially if you read thhe first line of post #2

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2941460-istanbul-help-please/#comment-65905116

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Sorry, but we have not used the newer terminal building, but there are previous threads which mention it, and maybe googling might bring up some info too.

Use the SEARCH facilty to find previous threads, but this recent one might help, especially if you read thhe first line of post #2

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2941460-istanbul-help-please/#comment-65905116

Thanks for your help.   Yes, I did see that post.  Now I will need to determine the time needed to reach the ticket machine.  I’ll keep d.  😊

I would like to offer a compromise to the original poster.  We were in Istanbul on the Enchanted at the end of June and after doing some research on this site and other travel sites we booked a tour with Ephesus Shuttle.  They operate mini-tours  with a maximum of 10 people.  Their tours are with a van or on the tram.  We went with a tram tour.  It was the best decision we could have made.  There were 6 people on our tour.  Our guide was waiting for us with a sign as soon as we exited the port.  He led us to the tram, purchased our tickets and we had a smooth ride to the Hagia Sophia.  (We did have to stand up on the tram, but it was a short ride.). Our tour included the Top Kapi Palace, the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and the market.  Because it was a holiday the market was closed so our guide asked us if we would like to do the Basilica Cistern instead.  We were delighted with that substitution.  Because the Cistern admission was not included in our original tour we did have to pay extra for that.  Our guide went to a ticket booth for guides so we didn’t have to wait in the ticket line.

Booking with Ephesus Shuttle was the best decision we made during our entire cruise.  Their communication via email was prompt and courteous and they did not require payment ahead of time.  The cost of the tour was less than the Princess tours and there were only 6 on our tour.  We also used Ephesus Shuttle for our tour of Ephesus and had a similar positive experience.  If we return to Turkey again we would definitely want to tour with them.  Both of the guides that we had were excellent.  I hope that you will look into this option for your upcoming trip.  Enjoy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

Thank you for sharing the tour information. I have cxl my initial booking with another tour company that offers us private tour with a private van and change to what you suggest. I am sure things will work out fine. We will be at Istanbul on July 4th !

• 3 weeks later...

As of January, Hagia Sophia is now 25 euros to enter the upper level where you can look down.  The main level is now off limits to visitors 24/7.  You really miss alot here and I don't know if its worth the line and cost.  Expect lines to get the tickets here and guides can't skip the lines here.  I don't think guides are even allowed inside now and you need a scarf which they sell for 30TL.  There will be people selling tickets to those in line at a slightly higher price if you don't want to wait in line.  Make sure to note the prayer times for the Blue Mosque so you know when to go and the visitor entrance is not inside the courtyard but outside to the right as your facing the entrance.  Cistern will have a long line as well unfortunately and this is really the only place where having a guide would help as they can skip the line.  Istanbul is very walkable even without the tram.  Make sure to leave plenty of time for the bazaar, its big and don't worry about getting lost.  If you do just ask someone where the exit is or walk until you find the outer edge and follow it til you see exit.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that my husband and I (as senior citizens) found the Turkish locals in Istanbul to be very warm and accommodating when we were there in 2014. We had the day before our cruise was to start and a day afterwards where we wandered around on our own.  Every time I boarded the tram, several folks hopped up to offer me their seat. Back then, Hagia Sophia was still a museum and while visiting the site, I was very impressed with how seamlessly the crowd control went.  We also got to see the Cisterns and Blue Mosque thanks to locals who took the time to make sure we found the correct entrance. I would also recommend the Topkapi palace complex which we loved.