Increase in prices in some Speciality restaurants

13 hours ago, nferr said:

Yeah, but it's not like they're ordering less food for the MDR because you're eating in a specialty restaurant. 

They certainly are ordering less food for the MDR, they'd be pretty stupid if they weren't.  The number-crunching folks have a decent idea of how many fewer meals they will serve in the MDR because of Specialty Dining and I have no doubt they take that into consideration when provisioning the ship.

6 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I am in the same dilemma.

I still have four more cruises booked from 2022: two this year and two next year.

I am trying to keep an open mind but my last experience on the Oasis in September, 2022, before the announced dining and room service changes, was subpar.

I got a good price on the cruise and still felt it was a fair value.

I made more reservations at that time for 2023 and 2024 at what I felt were very good prices.

I enjoyed my Enchantment of the Sea out of Baltimore last April. MDR and Windjammer food selections were reduced and quality of food did not seem normal. I had problems for two days trying to even find my cabin steward. Still a good cruise.

Going on Oasis this weekend and only eating in Windjammer so I can make a full week of evaluations.

On the Jewel in November, 9 days. We have reserved second seating in MDR and will eat all nights in the MDR for over 9 days of evaluation.

These cruises are going to help me determine my future with RCI, especially if they keep future base cruise prices elevated from what I paid.

I am hoping for the best. I will have a good time no matter what.  I am now starting to ponder other cruise lines. I might have to pay more for those cruisers. I want to go back to an experience which includes more with the basic fairs and do not play games with add-ons.

This "a la carte" airline type of pricing is confusing and starting to affect my desire to cruise with RCI.

I'm not even that picky imo. But I've had issues 3 times in a row in the Mdr. On oasis class each time. I remember when they used to spend time and kinda match you to tablemate. 

Allure I was seated with 5 same family members and nikismom or similar cc name was here on cc about me being seated with a family of 5 who didnt want a stranger at their table. Quite rude, but ok I talked to the floor supervisor who said all fixed up with a nice table next week. 

Next week I was surprised to find I'd been assigned a table with a family of 10, at a 10 top. After I was assured I had a no large family plus me. He lied. And there were 10 chairs, for the 10 of them plus me made 11 .. at a ten top .. with a family of 10. How can a so called supervisor not notice? If he indeed looked and promised a better table. 11 dont fit in 10 chairs.

So oasis last spring..  I sure hoped for a nicer table. Well they put me at a new 2 top. Someone in a wheelchair needed a closer table .. so I got moved. What happened to a notice to your stateroom if they move you? I sat down and had to be treated to rudeness by the new occupants who demanded I moved. I showed my card with the table number. Finally a waiter came over and explained I'd been moved to another 2 top. If you got moved pre covid they sent a notice to your cabin. 

Sept 17 will be my first time back on allure. I'm still hoping I get a nice table shared with solos and couples or people who dont say we dont want you here. I do get it nikki and her hubby and bil or silmetc dont live together and wanted a table to themselves. .. but this didnt happen pre covid. 

18 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

I would never mean disrespect, but for folks like you, the MDR is perfect! It's cool to hear that some folks don't have to spend more money to enjoy their cruise, aside from those drinks, lol! 

We live in the bush in Alaska, and want a quality meal on vacay.  While I certainly don't have the same number of cruises under my belt as you do, I have noticed the cut backs.  

I'd imagine you have great stories to tell of your earlier sails.  Would love to sit and have a drink with you.  Fair winds and happy cruising to you and yours. 

You are right, we live in SWFL and can eat wherever we want.  But even then, we don't eat at fancy restaurants.  We are more the sports bar kind of people for lunch/dinner.  Again, you are right, other than the drink package and extra tips, we don't pay for anything extra on a cruise.  We rarely do excursions, we grab cabs and go to our favorite beaches.  But if I lived in Alaska (which will never happen lol) I would do what you are doing.  And yes, we have lots of stories from all the years we have been cruise, but we have never stopped loving getting on a cruise ship.  Enjoy your travels!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

They certainly are ordering less food for the MDR, they'd be pretty stupid if they weren't.  The number-crunching folks have a decent idea of how many fewer meals they will serve in the MDR because of Specialty Dining and I have no doubt they take that into consideration when provisioning the ship.

If you think it's that exact...well. Have you ever seen them run out of food in the MDR? Like they know exactly how many entrees each person will order?

20 minutes ago, nferr said:

If you think it's that exact...well. Have you ever seen them run out of food in the MDR? Like they know exactly how many entrees each person will order?

Did I say "EXACT"?  Did I use that word anywhere?  Did I even remotely imply "exact"?  (Hint:  The answer is "No" to all 3 questions).  

If you really do not believe that when provisioning for the MDR they take into consideration the likely volume of meals to be served in the Specialty restaurants, then, I guess there is no point taking this any further with you.  

26 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Did I say "EXACT"?  Did I use that word anywhere?  Did I even remotely imply "exact"?  (Hint:  The answer is "No" to all 3 questions).  

If you really do not believe that when provisioning for the MDR they take into consideration the likely volume of meals to be served in the Specialty restaurants, then, I guess there is no point taking this any further with you.  

People are funny on here. First, it's "nobody's eating in the specialty restaurants", then it's "they're saving so much money in the MDR because of people eating in the specialty restaurants. I see you're a joy to discuss an opposing view with.  Good day.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nferr said:

People are funny on here. First, it's "nobody's eating in the specialty restaurants", then it's "they're saving so much money in the MDR because of people eating in the specialty restaurants. I see you're a joy to discuss an opposing view with.  Good day.

Lol no before they sold too many UDP and it was almost impossible to book your dinners. Now they raised prices and selling fewer and more individual restaurant bookings and I see posts how restaurants are half empty. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol no before they sold too many UDP and it was almost impossible to book your dinners. Now they raised prices and selling fewer and more individual restaurant bookings and I see posts how restaurants are half empty. 

Sure, but's that not what we were talking about. I agree, last year I paid $208 for the UDP on an 11 night cruise with six sea days on the Anthem. That's potentially seven lunches and eleven dinners which if you used them all is under $12 a meal. Now for my seven day Oasis cruise next month they want $288 when it's on sale. So maybe four lunches and seven dinners or $26 per meal at best. Yeah, I'm skipping it. I'll individually purchase a few lunches.

I was responding to the idea that they're saving money by cutting back food they order for the MDR and Windjammer. I think there's so much waste of food that they really don't cut it this fine. You're talking about 6,000 passengers on an Oasis class ship. Actually, what you're paying for is more privacy, more attentive service and a more upscale experience in the specialty restaurants IMO. The food is a step above also.

Edited by nferr

22 hours ago, karena1 said:

You are right, we live in SWFL and can eat wherever we want.  But even then, we don't eat at fancy restaurants.  We are more the sports bar kind of people for lunch/dinner.  Again, you are right, other than the drink package and extra tips, we don't pay for anything extra on a cruise.  We rarely do excursions, we grab cabs and go to our favorite beaches.  But if I lived in Alaska (which will never happen lol) I would do what you are doing.  And yes, we have lots of stories from all the years we have been cruise, but we have never stopped loving getting on a cruise ship.  Enjoy your travels!

Our "home" that we are renting out is in Orlando.  It's likely our access to ANY restaurant, has changed our food profile.  Oddly, one would think we would be happy in MDR, it's the opposite.

Anyway, we do the same thing, cab to a beach, some drinks, junk food, which is fine and back to the ship.  May one day, our paths cross!  Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 9:25 PM, PACrew said:

The “value” position is just not there at these prices. We love royal but just booked two cruises, one with NCL and another MSC. 

Diamond plus on Royal, and most of my cruises have been on it. Have been on a couple of princess cruises this year. Still get our stateroom cleaned twice a day. But the biggest benefit on the longer cruises is very few children. But I have to be honest in that the food has been underwhelming to say the least.