Increase in prices in some Speciality restaurants

Here's an article about specialty dining prices:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/08/23/royal-caribbean-raises-prices-some-of-its-specialty-restaurants

I've also seen a huge surge in UDP prices. Last Spring I took a 10 day cruise with 4 sea days, UDP was around $270 before the 18%. Next Spring the UDP for a 7 day with one sea day is $370. I guess the drop in quality in the MDR is helping drive up prices in other areas. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, seasidemama said:

On my last two cruises this summer I had a couple of specialty dinners on each sailing (150/chops/giovanni/izumi) - all of the places only had a handful of tables occupied when I was dining.  

On Wonder in May none of the specialty restaurants were full on the nights we were there. Not even 50% full.

• Like 2

Interesting to hear the specialty restaurants are not full... The best businesses continue raising prices until finally the consumer stops buying. Maybe that's starting to happen with Royal, at least for the speciality dining options, but not for the cruise fare itself...

Per the article above:

"The wings went up too: 12 wings: $10 to $13.99."

I'm not very good at math, but I think that's a 40% increase... Holy moly! That's gotta be nearly 4 or 5 times the rate of inflation. I need to run a business like that!

"Fries: $3 to $5.99."

Again, not very good at math, but I think that's a 100% increase. LOL.

Edited by mramella
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I remember when Chops was 25 per person and Portofino was 20.........ah the good old days. 

And First Night Done Right when anyone could get a BOGO on night one regardless of C&A status.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I can understand small price increases but these are too much. Just like cruise prices.  It’s making the premium lines look more attractive. 

Yep, agreed! I can understand and appreciate price increases that are roughly in-line with inflation, but increases that are 4 and 5 times the rate of inflation are not reasonable (at least not for me). So, I will vote with my wallet and will not participate 🙂. I love the freedom to choose!

Edited by mramella
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mramella said:

I'm not very good at math, but I think that's a 40% increase... Holy moly! That's gotta be nearly 4 or 5 times the rate of inflation.

If you've been anywhere near a grocery or gas station or restaurant the past couple years, it's obvious that MANY things are up more than the inflation rates one sees reported in the media.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I remember when Chops was 25 per person and Portofino was 20.........ah the good old days. 

I can remember when chops offered surf n turf. Lobster and a fillet included in the price of dinner. Now lobster is a upcharge over and above the cost of your dinner.

I think carnival is up to $48 for their steak place but they still offer surf n turf. 

Everything is up. Grocery shopping is always a shock. I've given up trying to save. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

If you've been anywhere near a grocery or gas station or restaurant the past couple years, it's obvious that MANY things are up more than the inflation rates one sees reported in the media.

At least grocery stores have real sales vs the smoke and mirror sales the cruise line has, and the prices are good for the whole week, unless it says limited quantities and usually they are few and far between. For example, milk this week $1.34 per gallon, dozen eggs $.67 per dozen, and butter $1.67 per pound. Any cruise “sales” that hold their “sales” price for a full week?

Around the major holidays the things near and dear to me usually go on sale. Beer, 30 pack $16.46 ($15.45 pre pandemic) limit 5. Finger food (chips, Fritos, etc) $1.99 per bag. Same size bag, same price pre pandemic. Labor Day pricing should be available tomorrow night.

Gas $4.49 a gallon now in the Phoenix area. Not much of a problem as we put on less than 2,000 miles per year and have a fairly gas friendly car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mramella said:

Interesting to hear the specialty restaurants are not full... The best businesses continue raising prices until finally the consumer stops buying. Maybe that's starting to happen with Royal, at least for the speciality dining options, but not for the cruise fare itself...

Per the article above:

"The wings went up too: 12 wings: $10 to $13.99."

I'm not very good at math, but I think that's a 40% increase... Holy moly! That's gotta be nearly 4 or 5 times the rate of inflation. I need to run a business like that!

"Fries: $3 to $5.99."

Again, not very good at math, but I think that's a 100% increase. LOL.

Summer 2022 I booked a last week of June sailing out of Bayonne on Oasis for 2023. 2 connecting cabins. 2 ppl in each cabin. Total cost was $4,335 for both the cabins including port/taxes.

Summer 2023 looking to book the same cruise out of NJ for 2024, same week: $$8,970

Thinking maybe we can squeeze all 4 in a room. Pricing my options: $7,034

By the way - all beach beds are now double in price in coco cay. went from $200 to $400.

Chops +1 went from $89 to $99. that $118 inc gratuities for two specialty dinners that are just not that special..

Yes, the specialty dining venues are mostly empty. Some say it's because they are hiring less staff. When I was at 150 park a few weeks back, there were three waiters and four tables occupied.. I think they could have managed a few more customers if people were willing to pay. I used OBC I had and I'm glad I didn't "pay" for it outright. Was a nice enough dinner but certainly not worth the additional charge.

• Like 3

I guess I have had the opposite experience.  Except for the Brazilian Steakhouse on Radiance, all the specialties have been full.  We usually take about 2 hours in a speciality and do see empty tables fill up and occupied tables finish and leave, but all tables turn at least once.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I guess I have had the opposite experience.  Except for the Brazilian Steakhouse on Radiance, all the specialties have been full.  We usually take about 2 hours in a speciality and do see empty tables fill up and occupied tables finish and leave, but all tables turn at least once.  

I can only comment on recent Oasis sailings. Several from this summer. Is this your experience on recent sailings?

All I know is that for US, US, the MDR is now subpar and we will only dine in specialty restaurants.  We are factoring that cost like $400pp per 7 day cruise into our price point.  That has led to us booking virgin and NCL, lines we never would have considered prior.  This is disheartening as we love RCCL. I have two cruises yet to book for 2024 and with specialty dinning now in our price point, it's a tough choice to pay more.  These next two cruises on virgin and NCL will determine who we book with for those two cruises. 

Royal doubled down in the wrong way, IMHO. But they care little about our MDR concerns as they move forward... why be loyal?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

All I know is that for US, US, the MDR is now subpar and we will only dine in specialty restaurants.  We are factoring that cost like $400pp per 7 day cruise into our price point.  That has led to us booking virgin and NCL, lines we never would have considered prior.  This is disheartening as we love RCCL. I have two cruises yet to book for 2024 and with specialty dinning now in our price point, it's a tough choice to pay more.  These next two cruises on virgin and NCL will determine who we book with for those two cruises. 

Royal doubled down in the wrong way, IMHO. But they care little about our MDR concerns as they move forward... why be loyal?

Last 2 cruises on Radiance.  Last August Alaska and April Panama Canal  - We really liked the Brazilian Steakhouse - but it was empty

The price for those wings are not outrageous, check the cost at Wing Stop, boneless for 10 costs $15.99.  

You all have to take into the fact that suppliers are charging more, so you think that they are going to absorb the prices and not pass the costs along to you?  ☺️

Don't eat out.

54 minutes ago, footzz said:

Increase in prices in some Specialty restaurants? Hmm, could this be a result of  RCL deciding to keep Sorento's Pizza free? For now.

Probably not related. The increased charges they speak of are before pizza gate. Just a article confirming other threads about the increases. 

I'm wondering if prices will level out. My 8 day to coco cay out of Galveston has decreased in price .. finally seeing prices drop instead of going up. Maybe rcl has reached the point they lose sales or decrease.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, seasidemama said:

On my last two cruises this summer I had a couple of specialty dinners on each sailing (150/chops/giovanni/izumi) - all of the places only had a handful of tables occupied when I was dining.  

On 8/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, RyderJ201 said:

On Wonder in May none of the specialty restaurants were full on the nights we were there. Not even 50% full.

We just got off Oasis (8/20/23 sailing).  Ate in Giovannis, 150 Park Central, and Chops.  7:00 or 7:30 reservation at each.  Less than 50% full each time.  150 Park Central on Thursday evening had maybe 4 other tables plus the Chefs table (which only had 6 people at it).

6 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I remember when steaks of better quality than you get at Chops were regulars on the MDR menus for no additional charge.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm wondering if prices will level out. My 8 day to coco cay out of Galveston has decreased in price .. finally seeing prices drop instead of going up.

Not happening for my Wonder cruises...  sure you still want to move near PC? 🤣

• Haha 2