NCL Getaway from New York to Bermuda, San Juan, Dominican Republic & St. Maarten

Ozzieru1e

I saw a 10 day cruise on NCL Getaway to 6 ports from New York, Bermuda, San Juan, Dominican Republic & St. Maarten Apr 2024.  This itinerary sounds interesting since I’ve never visited aforementioned islands.  Is April a good time to go and is it safe.  Do you have to worry about Caribbean Pirates? Sort of joking about the pirates…

4 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I saw a 10 day cruise on NCL Getaway to 6 ports from New York, Bermuda, San Juan, Dominican Republic & St. Maarten Apr 2024.  This itinerary sounds interesting since I’ve never visited aforementioned islands.  Is April a good time to go and is it safe.  Do you have to worry about Caribbean Pirates? Sort of joking about the pirates…

Each of those ports are good to great.  You just don't know, if you never go!

I know you're joking about pirates. 🏴‍☠️ But, others will extrapolate your joke to are you safe visiting those ports (or maybe it's just me). And, of course you'll be fine. Just as safe as wandering the streets in NYC or Des Moines, IA, or Wheatland, WY. As you would anywhere, just be aware of your surroundings and don't be stupid (aka flash $100 bills, gold watches, etc.). 

We went to Bermuda in April, 2022. It was fine, just rainy. We still explored the island and went swimming at Tobacco Bay and Clearwater Beach. We were in the Bahamas in March, 2023. It was hot and humid for us New Yorker's! Perfect swimming weather. I'm sure Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and St. Maarten will be perfect. 

Bermuda (Clearwater Beach) - April, 2022:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c12ef0af18ddabd44067154ee12a104.jpeg

That cruise truly sounds perfect to me. Have a really amazing time if you book! 

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I know you're joking about pirates. 🏴‍☠️ But, others will extrapolate your joke to are you safe visiting those ports (or maybe it's just me). And, of course you'll be fine. Just as safe as wandering the streets in NYC or Des Moines, IA, or Wheatland, WY. As you would anywhere, just be aware of your surroundings and don't be stupid (aka flash $100 bills, gold watches, etc.). 

We went to Bermuda in April, 2022. It was fine, just rainy. We still explored the island and went swimming at Tobacco Bay and Clearwater Beach. We were in the Bahamas in March, 2023. It was hot and humid for us New Yorker's! Perfect swimming weather. I'm sure Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and St. Maarten will be perfect. 

Bermuda (Clearwater Beach) - April, 2022:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c12ef0af18ddabd44067154ee12a104.jpeg

That cruise truly sounds perfect to me. Have a really amazing time if you book! 

I’ve been to Bermuda 2016, 2018 & 2019 and felt very safe…there’s safety in numbers.  Also checked out Bahamas in 2017 which was very busy.  It seems 7 day cruises ends too fast so 10 days might be more satisfying.  I’m hoping for a price drop so I will wait and see if it comes about.  Thanks for your responses.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I am about to book this exact sailing! 

Bermuda in April is a toss up. I don't believe it'll be real beach weather, but there's plenty to do on the island and since I just spent 3 days there on Joy in July, I'll be fine with that.

The other ports should be great that time of year and, as someone else mentioned, it's safe to visit these places. You just need to be aware of your surroundings, like anywhere else you go.

We love to just be on board the ship so Getaway offers some intriguing differences for us after sailing on Joy x2, Escape and Encore.

We're just ironing out some details and I expect that we'll book this by mid September.

Hope to see you! Lmao!!!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that NCL reserves the right to change itineraries. We just went through this, with a cruise a couple months from now that said it would be stopping in San Juan (a place we've never been and really wanted to stop, since we have friends who live there and were going to show us around.)

A few days after we booked it, they ended up dropping San Juan and substituting St. Kitts (a place we've already been). Not a good trade-off...at least for us.

So just because an itinerary is posted for a cruise, there's no guarantee they'll keep all of those ports.

10 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

It's a great itinerary with some of our favorite ports of call. April is a wonderful time to cruise, still not too hot and out of hurricane season.  Depending on when you sail in April, you're still in spring break season, but not partiers normally shy away from 10-day cruises. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1