Brisbane Port parking?

Hmm - dont know if I have got this right - but a quick look at parking for a 1 week cruise from Brisbane at a nearby parking service (with bus shuttles) is $165 in the open and $200 under cover. BUT - the same thing at the port itself (in the open) is "only" $135. Doesn't seem right to me?? Not worried about the price differential and I think I would prefer to drive to the Port - but I do have a brand new car 🙂 Thoughts please.

13 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Hmm - dont know if I have got this right - but a quick look at parking for a 1 week cruise from Brisbane at a nearby parking service (with bus shuttles) is $165 in the open and $200 under cover. BUT - the same thing at the port itself (in the open) is "only" $135. Doesn't seem right to me?? Not worried about the price differential and I think I would prefer to drive to the Port - but I do have a brand new car 🙂 Thoughts please.

For a couple of cruises we have parked in P1 at the port. There are high 'carport-type' roofs that would protect the car from everything except driving rain. The open air parking is further from the terminal than P1 but still a very easy walk. We felt that the private parking service with a shuttle was too expensive for what it offers. Earlier last year Portside Parking was reasonably priced but they told me they had to put their prices up because of the cost of transporting people to the cruise terminal. They have to hire buses and pay drivers.

If you want to book at the terminal, I suggest you do it as soon as you can because the spaces book out well ahead of the cruise date, particularly when additional ships relocate to Australia for the summer cruising season.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

For a couple of cruises we have parked in P1 at the port. There are high 'carport-type' roofs that would protect the car from everything except driving rain. The open air parking is further from the terminal than P1 but still a very easy walk. We felt that the private parking service with a shuttle was too expensive for what it offers. Earlier last year Portside Parking was reasonably priced but they told me they had to put their prices up because of the cost of transporting people to the cruise terminal. They have to hire buses and pay drivers.

If you want to book at the terminal, I suggest you do it as soon as you can because the spaces book out well ahead of the cruise date, particularly when additional ships relocate to Australia for the summer cruising season.

They are adding 340 more parking spaces at BICT, so it would seem to be more popular than they forecasted. Portside Parking being less competitive would be a big part of that. A shame that the covid lockdowns came at the worst possible time for them.

Port of Brisbane is just saying the new spaces will be available in 2024, which is pretty broad. That is good advice to prebook as soon as you can if you plan to park at the terminal between October & March. It will be the same capacity as last season.

• Like 1

P1 should be mostly undercover if you seek shade and protection from the likes of hail. P2 and P3 are definitely open air but both easy walks to terminal. Just be mindful that the conditions regarding timing of both entrance and exit of P3 differ from conditions of P1 and P2.

2 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Portside Parking have purchased land close to the new terminal. But are waiting on engineers for the site.

Nearly 18 months ago Portside Parking announced that they would have their new facility open very soon. The land is next to the Greys Auction building.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Portside Parking have purchased land close to the new terminal. But are waiting on engineers for the site.

Unless they are trying again, this has long come and gone. In preparation for the shift of cruising to Luggage Point, they purchased the above mentioned block (142 Main Beach Road, Pinkenba) in Feb 2019 and started to develop it with the aim of it being operational soon after the scheduled BICT terminal opening in Sept/Oct 2020.

Then covid hit, and I would presume their cash ran dry and they couldn't continue to erect their garage on the site. Early last year, the block was up for conditional sale, presumably to find a buyer they could lease back from and fund their garage facility from the sale. That outcome is still a possibility, as the block is still for sale without the earlier conditions, but Portside Parking no longer refer to their new site on their web page.. All of their approvals had been done, so I am not sure where engineers come into it.

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/for-sale/property-142-main-beach-road-pinkenba-qld-4008-504029959

They had a reputation of being the good guys, and they still operate with a shuttle from their existing garage in Hamilton. It is a tough juggle between pricing, convenience and the level of protection your car will have.

• Like 1

I was going to park at the B.I.C.T and get a taxi to the airport for my reposition cruise from Singapore to Brisbane. It all came undone when I found out there was no cruise ship coming on the day so not open. Thought it would be nice to have the car there for disembarkation. Unfortunately Portside Parking no longer shuttle to the Airport. 

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

I was going to park at the B.I.C.T and get a taxi to the airport for my reposition cruise from Singapore to Brisbane. It all came undone when I found out there was no cruise ship coming on the day so not open. Thought it would be nice to have the car there for disembarkation. Unfortunately Portside Parking no longer shuttle to the Airport. 

I suggest you try Andrews Parking.

Thanks, Yes I was looking at them. They shuttle you to the airport and then when you disembark at B.I.C.T  shuttle you back to your car. Cost is reasonable too. Reviews look quite good. I did like the idea that once you parked at the cruise terminal the car it is not moved. Andrews Parking do move your car around. Some reviews have reported slight damage spotted when picking their car up and Andrews denied all responsibility. Chances you take I guess.Thank's for the suggestion.  

2 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

For a one-way cruise we used Alpha Airport Parking in Brisbane. They have a handy Seniors Card Discount and we found the taxi fare from the cruise terminal to collect car, around $35, quite reasonable.

Thank you.Had a look at their website and reviews, all good. Good discount for seniors. I guess the free shuttle is only to the Airport and back. Would have been good if they picked up from the cruise terminal as well. Did you get a taxi easy enough from the cruise terminal? We would need a maxi taxi for three of us and our luggage.

4 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Thank you.Had a look at their website and reviews, all good. Good discount for seniors. I guess the free shuttle is only to the Airport and back. Would have been good if they picked up from the cruise terminal as well. Did you get a taxi easy enough from the cruise terminal? We would need a maxi taxi for three of us and our luggage.

We departed ship fairly early and were worried there may not be taxis available until later when guests started arriving in them for next cruise, but there were about eight lined up.  Don't recall seeing a maxi taxi at that stage but I'm sure they would be available.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday we managed to pick up a good deal for a weekend cruise (3 nights) on the Coral Princess out of Brisbane at the beginning of December. 😁

Unfortunately Wilson's is fully booked. 😱☹️
Is Portside the next best alternative?

We just booked Melbourne Cup cruise and tried to book parking.  All sold out.  Love the convenience of on site parking. But not this time.  Thinking of a taxi to port, about the same cost to park the car and then have son pick us up as we get back on a Saturday.  No use having kids if you can’t use them. Lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Yesterday we managed to pick up a good deal for a weekend cruise (3 nights) on the Coral Princess out of Brisbane at the beginning of December. 😁

Unfortunately Wilson's is fully booked. 😱☹️
Is Portside the next best alternative?

The were the standard back before onsite parking was possible. If you are driving direct on cruise day, I figure they are the way to go. If you are staying a night in Hamilton, some of those hotels will let you park your car there for the duration at a lower rate.

• Like 1

I have used the Portside parking many times and can recommend them. They used to do an airport shuttle as well as the Cruise terminal but unfortunately that is no longer, shame because I also found that very useful.

Cheers John.

• Like 1

I usually park in P2. The price for three nights would be $57.04. 
According to the Portside website, they will charge $125. 
Ouch!

Yeah, not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but still and all it's double what Wilson's charges for on-site. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sparky74
Typo

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

I usually park in P2. The price for three nights would be $57.04. 
According to the Portside website, they will charge $125. 
Ouch!

Yeah, not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but still and all it's double what Wilson's charges for on-site. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, Portside isn't cheap but they do offer true undercover parking and run a very efficient shuttle service. It's the shuttle costs that makes the cost so dear. We were lucky when we used it - we booked before they put the price up. But it's not double what Wilson's charge for the P1 parking.

• Like 1