Gluten Free on Joy--Please give me some insight

barb in ga

Please access the help desk and make a note. The dietary manager will most likely meet you in the MDR at embarkment lunch to go over everything. They have gf products onboard. You can order meals ahead of time and have them brought to any restaurant. My daughter ordered breakfast and dinner the night before, just called down when she was heading to eat and let him know where. They do a wonderful job.

NCL has a special form you fill out, but they like to get it 45 days in advance. They do have an email at accessdesk@ncl.com  At this late of a date, your best bet is by phone to the Dedicated Access Coordinators at 866-584-9756.

I have severe food allergies and I always make the arrangements ahead of time. On embarkation day, I meet with the crew member who will go over the menus with me. I'm a planner, so it doesn't bother me to pre-choose what I'm going to eat the next day and where. The buffet is a roulette (for allergies) but they should have those types of things marked. For the MDR and specialty restaurants, they made stuff custom for me.

8 hours ago, barb in ga said:

We're cruising a 9 day New England Canada cruise that starts next Monday. DH is Celiac, so needs some info on what gluten free options may be available.

MDR, Specialty, Pizza?

Thanks, Barb

The Main Dining Room menu identifies gluten free options. That being said, a food allergy needs to be identified to the access desk and the restaurant can prepare meals separately.

image.thumb.png.bd35a9ee46e1d09693cce2dd9b81f2d3.png

image.thumb.png.7086acb013a3d0a7ee7718027b74917c.png

image.thumb.png.77edfee8354959ce322d5914199a8333.png

image.png.b81ef3bb3b9199fb59ee967925afa9a8.png

The galleys have signage to remind servers of many food allergies. Again, if it is a severe allergy, you must notify the cruise line and they will make special accommodations for you at any restaurant. 

image.png.e06b1e8317609fb6a430d324ce4dd2e9.png

image.png.884163b67d3fe64e62583486512a33ed.png

image.png.642b3509a1ff04fb85e04f8089b37064.png

18 hours ago, barb in ga said:

Thanks for the responses, we'll try to set up a meeting. DH has been celiac and gluten free for over 20 years, so is very good at food selection, but it helps to know what to expect.

Thanks, Barb

All it takes is going to one of the main dining rooms for lunch on embarkation day and asking to speak with first the maître' d and then the dietary manager.  My celiac SIL love cruising because they are so accommodating.  They've even made special dishes just for the GF people in our group.

By ordering the evening before it ensures that your meal is made in a dedicated kitchen and that it isn't holding up the processes of the rest of the diners at your table.  

• Like 1

Contacting guest services in advance ensures that there will be enough gluten free items onboard for all that need it.  It also alerts the person in charge of special dietary issues that they need to meet with at your first meal after you board.  You just need to alert your server to go and get them.  
The staff is wonderful when it comes to celiac disease but you have to give them a heads up.  I was able to eat in almost every restaurant onboard with a little advanced planning.  I was told to avoid the buffet due to cross contamination. If you do go to the buffet, talk to the chef in charge; they will make you fresh food.  Al’s, be aware that not all staff is properly trained. Always double check that your food is gluten free before eating it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janice2348 said:

Contacting guest services in advance ensures that there will be enough gluten free items onboard for all that need it.  It also alerts the person in charge of special dietary issues that they need to meet with at your first meal after you board.  You just need to alert your server to go and get them.  
The staff is wonderful when it comes to celiac disease but you have to give them a heads up.  I was able to eat in almost every restaurant onboard with a little advanced planning.  I was told to avoid the buffet due to cross contamination. If you do go to the buffet, talk to the chef in charge; they will make you fresh food.  Al’s, be aware that not all staff is properly trained. Always double check that your food is gluten free before eating it.  

We’ve never alerted anyone when we went to lunch the first day, they just showed up at our table. 4 different NCL ships and never had a bad experience. Omg the platter of food they brought to my daughter for breakfast (in the buffet) was incredible. I don’t think she ever ate better.

On 8/31/2023 at 6:27 PM, mjkacmom said:

We’ve never alerted anyone when we went to lunch the first day, they just showed up at our table. 4 different NCL ships and never had a bad experience. Omg the platter of food they brought to my daughter for breakfast (in the buffet) was incredible. I don’t think she ever ate better.

I’m glad it worked out for you