When to book excursions-cruise is over 1 year away.

TxNight

Any recommendations on when to book excursions whether with the ship or with private companies.  Cruise is over a year away so it seems too soon to start booking and making payments.  However, I started to look for what is available or might want to do.

if it is a unique port  with few guides  I would book  as soon as they  are open to book

Be sure to confirm any refund policies if the ship misses the port  or  try  to pay on the day of the tour

If ships tour   again book as soon as they are available if it is something you really want to do

JMO

• Like 1

its never too early to research your options. Try the 'ports of call' forums here, or information resources for each port [e.g. for ports in Norway, there is a visitportname.no web site like visittromso.no for each port, run by a local tourist agency].

If you are looking at private tour companies - use your sailing's "Roll Call" thread to see if anyone else is interested in joining you. That keeps discussions relating to a particular sailing off this forum.

For my October 2024 sailing, Cunard has had tours from LeHavre available for purchase  for over a month - and should have the rest of the tours posted by the 1 year to departure date. [Cunard also shows inapplicable tours, like a bunch for in transit passengers in New York]

I cheated and looked-up your itinerary.  As a long time (over 50 years) international traveler/cruiser I will say that the itinerary is fantastic and will require some homework on your part.  Although we are not excursion people (we tend to do most ports on our own) I will put that aside to think in terms of tours.  For Ashdod you should book an excursion to Jerusalem and would certainly want to see the stations of the cross and the Wailing (Western) Wall.  We also recommend visiting Bethlehem, although that will be very dependent on the, then, political situation vis-a-vis the West Bank.

Limassol.  Not my favorite port although we did enjoy a bus tour that included a winery.  Best to stick to a ship excursion and give a lot of consideration to visiting some of the historic sites in the region.  

Rhodes - Your late arrival does limit some options.  Since excursions can add-up to a lot of money, this is a port you might want to simply do on your own.  You can explore the Old Town area on foot (from the pier) and there are quite a few things to do and see.  Look at the ship's exursions to Rhodes Town (Old Town) keeping in mind that you can duplicate most of the tour on your own for a fraction of the cost.

Kusadasi -  A tour is a must and we strongly suggest a private tour instead of a cruise line excursion.  You limited time in port (a darn shame) actually makes this a simple recommendation.  You want a tour that will take you to Ephesus (specifically including the Terrace Houses).  We have previously had good results with Ekol Travel, but there are quite a few decent local tour companies.  You can join with a few others, via the CC Roll Call Board for your cruise,, or even consider booking a private tour for just 2 (we did this and loved the experience).  If you decide to take a cruise line excursion (we do not enjoy the big group) make sure it does include visiting the Terrace Houses.  

Istanbul - One of our favorite ports in the world.  Unfortunately, your visit is too short and on a Sunday.  The Grand (Covered) Bazaar is closed as are quite a few stores (plenty of others will be open).  You can look at both the ship excursions and private tours (Ekol also has tours in this port) and would want to include the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkai.... at a minimum.

As to Greece (a country we really enjoy) I suggest looking at the CC Ports of Call Board for Greece for some ideas.  There are many options and differing opinions on how to best do the islands.  Athens can be done an excursion, on your own (you can even use the popular Hop On Hop Off Bus) or find a private tour (try the Roll Call).  First time visitors usually go to the Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, Syntagma Square, Plaka, etc.  It is a terrific port for those of us who like Do It Yourself days since there are multiple options (X80 bus, train (Green Line), taxi, HoHo Bus, etc) to get between the port at Pireaus and Athens.

Naples - Another favorite port because of the many options.  Read all the excursions, look at the Port of Call Board, and make your choice.  You cannot do it all (or even come close) so you will need to pick and choose.  Some popular ideas include Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc.

Livorno -  Some will disagree but we suggest going to Florence for the day.  Whether you want to be part of a large excursion, or simply do it on your own (you can use the cruise line's bus or read about taking the train on the Ports of Call Board).  In Florence there is more than enough to keep anyone busy (we have spent about 2 weeks in this city).

As to when to book there are those who will say ASAP, especially if you want to take the most popular cruise lines excursions.  Private tours (such as using Ekol in Turkey) should be booked a few months in advance.  

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great advice from @Hlitner

In Limassol we have used Spanos Travel. About 16 I think to a group.

In Athens we used PKTravel for a private tour to Sounion as we’ve been to Athens several times. 

In Israel we’ve used Moti Bar Tuv at Travel Israel for all 3 of our days on private excursions and was worth every penny. 

I agree with Kusadasi a guide is a must. 

Have a great cruise. 

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I cheated and looked-up your itinerary.  As a long time (over 50 years) international traveler/cruiser I will say that the itinerary is fantastic and will require some homework on your part.  Although we are not excursion people (we tend to do most ports on our own) I will put that aside to think in terms of tours.  For Ashdod you should book an excursion to Jerusalem and would certainly want to see the stations of the cross and the Wailing (Western) Wall.  We also recommend visiting Bethlehem, although that will be very dependent on the, then, political situation vis-a-vis the West Bank.

Limassol.  Not my favorite port although we did enjoy a bus tour that included a winery.  Best to stick to a ship excursion and give a lot of consideration to visiting some of the historic sites in the region.  

Rhodes - Your late arrival does limit some options.  Since excursions can add-up to a lot of money, this is a port you might want to simply do on your own.  You can explore the Old Town area on foot (from the pier) and there are quite a few things to do and see.  Look at the ship's exursions to Rhodes Town (Old Town) keeping in mind that you can duplicate most of the tour on your own for a fraction of the cost.

Kusadasi -  A tour is a must and we strongly suggest a private tour instead of a cruise line excursion.  You limited time in port (a darn shame) actually makes this a simple recommendation.  You want a tour that will take you to Ephesus (specifically including the Terrace Houses).  We have previously had good results with Ekol Travel, but there are quite a few decent local tour companies.  You can join with a few others, via the CC Roll Call Board for your cruise,, or even consider booking a private tour for just 2 (we did this and loved the experience).  If you decide to take a cruise line excursion (we do not enjoy the big group) make sure it does include visiting the Terrace Houses.  

Istanbul - One of our favorite ports in the world.  Unfortunately, your visit is too short and on a Sunday.  The Grand (Covered) Bazaar is closed as are quite a few stores (plenty of others will be open).  You can look at both the ship excursions and private tours (Ekol also has tours in this port) and would want to include the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkai.... at a minimum.

As to Greece (a country we really enjoy) I suggest looking at the CC Ports of Call Board for Greece for some ideas.  There are many options and differing opinions on how to best do the islands.  Athens can be done an excursion, on your own (you can even use the popular Hop On Hop Off Bus) or find a private tour (try the Roll Call).  First time visitors usually go to the Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, Syntagma Square, Plaka, etc.  It is a terrific port for those of us who like Do It Yourself days since there are multiple options (X80 bus, train (Green Line), taxi, HoHo Bus, etc) to get between the port at Pireaus and Athens.

Naples - Another favorite port because of the many options.  Read all the excursions, look at the Port of Call Board, and make your choice.  You cannot do it all (or even come close) so you will need to pick and choose.  Some popular ideas include Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc.

Livorno -  Some will disagree but we suggest going to Florence for the day.  Whether you want to be part of a large excursion, or simply do it on your own (you can use the cruise line's bus or read about taking the train on the Ports of Call Board).  In Florence there is more than enough to keep anyone busy (we have spent about 2 weeks in this city).

As to when to book there are those who will say ASAP, especially if you want to take the most popular cruise lines excursions.  Private tours (such as using Ekol in Turkey) should be booked a few months in advance.  

Hank

Naples is definitely one of outrageous favorites, I would do Pompeii we thought that was amazing , Naples is also the birth place of pizza , highly recommend Brandi which is supposedly birth place of margarita pizza , best pizza we ever had, this is close to the port. Capri is a beautiful island also.

Livorno - we did a private tour with members from roll call by Papillon best tour we ever took, went first to Pisa then to Florence and had a skip the line pass to the museum with David , seeing David is a must , then we went to a vineyard for a free wine tasting.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 3:14 PM, George C said:

Naples is definitely one of outrageous favorites, I would do Pompeii we thought that was amazing , Naples is also the birth place of pizza , highly recommend Brandi which is supposedly birth place of margarita pizza , best pizza we ever had, this is close to the port. Capri is a beautiful island also.

Livorno - we did a private tour with members from roll call by Papillon best tour we ever took, went first to Pisa then to Florence and had a skip the line pass to the museum with David , seeing David is a must , then we went to a vineyard for a free wine tasting.

We love Naples the way the port is in the middle of everything cannot be beat, also Antica pizza is also the best we have ever had.

• Like 1