Jim_Iain - Le Bellot 9/11/2023 - Live Post - First timers on Ponant

Jim_Iain

Fantastic dinner.  We gave it a 10 in rating. 

The Foai Gras was beyond delicious. Steak tender, tasty and cooked to perfection.   The lobster was New England cold water and very sweet and tender. 

IMG_6808.thumb.jpeg.e8e1b3ce1637cc9a07896eea3b631dc5.jpeg

IMG_6809.thumb.jpeg.af0f212ef3ebfe780fb500dcefcdf81a.jpeg

IMG_6811.thumb.jpeg.b0da5f529a0b3ea1f645aec86a8a2634.jpeg

IMG_6812.thumb.jpeg.7af11620eea26b9099416107fa06e83c.jpeg

we skipped the Beet Amuse Bouche many know I hate beets. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Jim,  loving this review.  It is very interesting to see the stark differences between the large and the very small ship experiences.  I also applaud your efforts to keep your follower's updated on both here and the Celebrity boards.  

p.s. We booked an 11-day Western Caribbean on MSC Yacht Club yesterday for February of next year. Our first non-Royal/Celebrity since 2009. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  loving this review.  It is very interesting to see the stark differences between the large and the very small ship experiences.  I also applaud your efforts to keep your follower's updated on both here and the Celebrity boards.  

p.s. We booked an 11-day Western Caribbean on MSC Yacht Club yesterday for February of next year. Our first non-Royal/Celebrity since 2009. 

Will be interesting to learn more about it.   We have heard some mixed reviews.   Some say they love the Yacht Club the remainder of the ship is an absolute Zoo.

One thing I have been enjoying is that basically everyone is of the same class and the prices is based on Room Type.  Wine is freely poured in the dining rooms and all is included in the price.  

It definitely a different feel than a Large ship.   Iain had mixed feeling after day one but just said he is warming to Ponant.

• Like 1

Wanted to say that the Internet is actually pretty good and been able to post without much problems.    We were able to stream Jeopardy  on YouTubeTV last night.   Maybe everyone else was asleep.   We enjoy watching an episode after hopping into bed.     Kinda a 23 year tradition.

IMG_6815.thumb.jpeg.3561dae72e52579200d7e133807ccdb2.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Lemon tarts for dessert? They knew you were sailing! 😋😉 Were they even close to Al Bacio’s in taste? Sure look similar 🤷‍♀️

Such a great menu and perfect serving sizes…I’d still be quite full afterwards. 

I thought the same.   Have to say they were far better than Celebrity’s.    Main difference was the shells were perfectly flakey and crisp. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will be interesting to learn more about it.   We have heard some mixed reviews.   Some say they love the Yacht Club the remainder of the ship is an absolute Zoo.

I have heard and been reading the same thing.  We are sailing in February so hopefully it will not be an absolute zoo. 

One thing I have been enjoying is that basically everyone is of the same class and the prices is based on Room Type.  Wine is freely poured in the dining rooms and all is included in the price.

Have you been able to get there non-alcoholic wine or something similar?  I was thinking the wine would be a little more upscale on Ponant. 

It definitely a different feel than a Large ship.   Iain had mixed feeling after day one but just said he is warming to Ponant.

Glad you both are having a great time.  I have not discussed Ponant with my wife yet.  I’ll wait for your final comments after your cruise.  Still not convinced an introvert like her would go for a more intimate type of environment like you get on smaller ships.

One thing we are really enjoying is the staff of the ship.   On Ponant the staff have been friendly and willing to help in all ways.

The first day we were talking with a bartender about the upgraded liquor program.   He explained the cost and that officially it has to be purchased by both passengers in a room.     I explained I don't drink at all and it would be a waste.   He said he could process it for just Iain.  

Unlike the larger cruise lines that imprint it on you card or put a sticker on it   He said he would let the other bartenders and restaurant know.    Made Iain really happy. 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have heard and been reading the same thing.  We are sailing in February so hopefully it will not be an absolute zoo. 

Have you been able to get there non-alcoholic wine or something similar?  I was thinking the wine would be a little more upscale on Ponant. 

Glad you both are having a great time.  I have not discussed Ponant with my wife yet.  I’ll wait for your final comments after your cruise.  Still not convinced an introvert like her would go for a more intimate type of environment like you get on smaller ships.

It is different and most guest are seated at tables of 6.  We prefer to dine by ourselves and have been accommodated.    Like in Luminae we have met some really nice people at adjacent tables.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dock said:

Enjoying your pics. 
Those prices for transfers and the tour are just outrageous. 

Please book your own or use Uber for transfers. 

I have to agree.    We are staying in an AirBnB for 4 days post cruise so will definitely book Uber or Lyft.   I checked the other day and the prices were about C$ 23- 27.

We were talking to a couple last night that said they had a Transfer from the Pfister to the Ship by Ponant for $120.    They said they felt ripped off after finding it was only about 4 blocks away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

No non-alcoholic wine, but not a problem.   I’ve mostly been drinking sparkling water.  

The included wines are drinkable and better than Elegant.    The menu lists the wines.   They then have an extensive collection of really good wines by the bottle.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you have an Amex Platinum card, don't forget that Uber gives you a $15 credit every month.  You can't use the credit in Europe [which is when we take Uber most often] and I'm not sure about Canada.

Thanks Jazz- I don’t have Ana Amex.  My main card is Chase Sapphire Reserve.  3x miles on travel and food.   Miles can be transferred to I believe 8 airlines.   

I currently have a 30% off deal for the month.