Jim_Iain - Le Bellot 9/11/2023 - Live Post - First timers on Ponant

Jim_Iain

Jim, I'm wondering if you notice any difference in passenger types between Celebrity & Ponant? I have to say your food pictures sure seem to say the food is better than Celebrity.

Brother I am really enjoying this review. Growing up in Wisconsin, our yearly summer trip was to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where my mother grew up (Iron River). Your beautiful pictures are bringing back some great memories, thank you Sir.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Jim, I'm wondering if you notice any difference in passenger types between Celebrity & Ponant? I have to say your food pictures sure seem to say the food is better than Celebrity.

Brother I am really enjoying this review. Growing up in Wisconsin, our yearly summer trip was to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where my mother grew up (Iron River). Your beautiful pictures are bringing back some great memories, thank you Sir.

I would say (just my observation) that the passengers are more refined and more courteous, engaging and polite.    Even though wine is freely poured with meals and drinks are included I've not seen a single inebriated, loud or  disrespectful guest.

With a much smaller passenger load guest engage more frequently and we have been invited to join other on 3 nights.

Food is definitely much better than Celebrity.   It may just be us and normal dining room practice but the staff (not sure if it is lack of training or normal on Ponant) in the dining room don't deliver plates at the same time, pick up plates before your table mate is finished and seem to rush the dinner service.    Just seem strange when dining with others and one person doesn't have their meal yet - and I feel compelled to wait. 

Maybe one of our Ponant cruiser can let us know if this is normal practice on all Ponant ships.

Back to the food -   I had been told the Hamburgers on Ponant were incredible.   I finally got around to having one at lunch.   They are huge - probably 1/2 pound, cooked individually to order (perfect medium rare for me).   The fries were also cooked fresh and so hot I could hardly bite into them when first served.

One other item I discovered was that on the Grill Deck they have a Ice Cream / Sorbet station with a choice of 4 or 5.    It is self service and all types of garnish - chocolate, butterscotch, nuts etc available to finish of a perfect bowl of ice cream. 

All Ice Creams are made on-board and are far better than even the gelato on Celebrity. 

While the first nights dinner was a little lack luster - possibly due to what we ordered.   All other dinners we have given a 10 Rating.   Perfect prep and the Chef often goes ashore at ports to source local products.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, philbob84 said:

Hi Jim

QUick question what brand of coffee and tea are on board?

The coffee is all Nescafe pods.    While Celebrity has the same -  I'm not sure if it's the machine or what's in the pods but far better than Celebrity.   For a Cappuccino the Foam is extremely dry and mounds on top like a scoop of Whipped Cream.   It is so dry you can't get the last of it out of your cup without a spoon.      Also far better than Starbucks.

Tea -  the have Palais Des Thes - Organic teas and have a choice of 5-6 different types.  WWW. PALAISDESTHES.COM  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

We have truly been enjoying this part of the countries.    All of the ports have been Canadian Ports except Milwaukee.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just seem strange when dining with others and one person doesn't have their meal yet - and I feel compelled to wait.  Maybe one of our Ponant cruiser can let us know if this is normal practice on all Ponant ships.

This is the typical French approach:  in the 1960s while a college student in France we had a course on etiquette [because Americans, well you know...] and we were told that in France you start eating when your food is delivered, while it is hot.  Do not wait for others.

But the other issue, removing plates when only one person has finished – that is not French etiquette.  Similarly, in a French restaurant, after you have finished your desert and coffee you will wait all night and never get a bill – until you ask for it.  Vive la différence!

• Like 2

Jim,  I have been wondering if you have been able to get your 10-mile walk in each day given the smaller size of this ship?  I assume that you are on days you are going ashore since you have discussed many walks but I cannot remember if there was a port on every day or not. 

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is the typical French approach:  in the 1960s while a college student in France we had a course on etiquette [because Americans, well you know...] and we were told that in France you start eating when your food is delivered, while it is hot.  Do not wait for others.

But the other issue, removing plates when only one person has finished – that is not French etiquette.  Similarly, in a French restaurant, after you have finished your desert and coffee you will wait all night and never get a bill – until you ask for it.  Vive la différence!

Thanks much for the clarity.  Last night for the second Gala Night.   Perfect service both on delivery and pick up.   Fantastic Dinner.  

I do have to say we have had the best food 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  I have been wondering if you have been able to get your 10-mile walk in each day given the smaller size of this ship?  I assume that you are on days you are going ashore since you have discussed many walks but I cannot remember if there was a port on every day or not. 

We did all except one sea day.   Did the walking on long hikes

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I like ergonomic pillows.  They had some very firm ones in Japan that I wish I had brought home with me. 

Iain loves the ergonomic.    I prefer a Down pillow but the feather ones worked ok.  

• Like 1

We are in Toronto.   Disembarkation is by a 3 color tag system.  

1.  Cars arranged by Ponant

2.  Tours and Bus Service

3.  Those using own transport

We will be last -  at 8am first group called.  We are due to depart at 9am

As we will not be able to check in until noon at our AirBnB I found a luggage storage area via an APP called Bounce.    The have luggage storage area  all over.  Many like the one we have is a Dry Cleaners.   Cost 8 Canadian per bag. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Food is definitely much better than Celebrity.   It may just be us and normal dining room practice but the staff (not sure if it is lack of training or normal on Ponant) in the dining room don't deliver plates at the same time, pick up plates before your table mate is finished and seem to rush the dinner service.    Just seem strange when dining with others and one person doesn't have their meal yet - and I feel compelled to wait. 

Maybe one of our Ponant cruiser can let us know if this is normal practice on all Ponant ships.

When we lived in Europe, this was standard practice.  This was not limited to France.  We were told it would "offend the chef" if we waited to start eating.

1 hour ago, cluso said:

When we lived in Europe, this was standard practice.  This was not limited to France.  We were told it would "offend the chef" if we waited to start eating.

And if you offend a French chef (by asking for ketchup, for instance) you may be ‘asked’ to leave the restaurant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jim, 

From all appearances it seems both Iian and yourself throughly enjoyed this cruise and Ponant.  So this begs the questions:

When // where is your next Ponant cruise

Have you decided to totally abandon Celebrity or just supplement Celebrity cruises with cruises on other lines?  

7 hours ago, cluso said:

Thanks for sharing.   In college I worked in a  French Restaurant and probably old school French with dome service and was very much choreographed.