SILVER MOON - WIFI

southend

Since wifi is via satellite it may depend. However when I was on Moon UK to Iceland the free wifi was just fine for keeping up with the news, general web browsing, and email.

My personal feeling is that if you need faster wifi for streaming and zoom meetings you are not taking advantage of your vacation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, southend said:

been a while since i cruised,  is wifi worth bothering with? how good is the complimentary wifi or do you need to purchase the premium product to have anything passing useful 

For sure the wi-fi has improved over the years.  Now with Starlink I am expecting even better connection.  That said it’s not for streaming or video-conferences.   

4 hours ago, pavementends said:

My personal feeling is that if you need faster wifi for streaming and zoom meetings you are not taking advantage of your vacation.

If you're the only person that can explain (and remedy) a particular glitch in the GEODSS system, it's necessary to at least be available for a consult.  Hasn't happened during a cruise yet, but there's always that chance.  So the best possible connectivity is preferred.  Ironic ... needing satellites to talk about a system designed to track satellites.

https://www.spaceforce.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Article/2197760/ground-based-electro-optical-deep-space-surveillance/

I am on the Moon right now and current wifi usage is heavy.

Speedtest is showing Starlink 9mbps down, 3mbps up - that is premium, I choose to buy it because I'm impatient, and I like to look at some of the sites blocked on the free stuff.

The free option is usually about a quarter of that speed, maybe only a fifth. Dunno if they still do, but SS used to block heavy usage sites for the free option - such as google maps and YouTube.

I also find you can't airdrop between devices, even on premium - I have to load my photos from phone to laptop by cable.