Alaska Cruise - Glacier Trek and Ice Climbing

ireashmott

Ten years ago we cruised to Alaska with NCL and will be going back again in 2024. Last time we went, we did a shore excursion of a helicopter glacier trek and ice climb in Juneau. Loved it and want to do the same again.

We are currently booked for May 2024 and there only seems to be short glacier tours, with no ice climbs. On the NCL site I found one exercusion for a “Helicopter Glacier Trek” which implies (but doesn’t expressly state), it is a glacier trek and ice climb. This excursion though is only available for September and October NCL Alaskan cruises. 

Is there a glacier trek and ice climb excursion through NCL or privately in May?
If not, we can change our booking to October. If we do change, recommendations for a glacier trek and ice climb excursion? 

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, ireashmott said:

Thank you. I reviewed it. He did a pre-cruise drive-in glacier walk, which isn’t what we are looking for. We are looking for a shore excursion helicopter glacier hike and ice climb. It’s a great write up though.

I would contact the company that he used and ask for recommendations from them.  If I was doing it, I would go as early in the Season before the glacier ice begins to melt.

IIRC there are only 3 helicopter companies in Juneau.  Northstar Trekking, Coastal, and Temsco.   Contact them to see when their season begins.  Usually the end of May is when things start to ramp up.  And most glacier activities end by mid Aug due to snow melt.

A great resource for you to check is the virtual visitor guide provided by Juneau Visitor Information.  Pg 74

Juneau Virtual Visitor's Guide | Attractions & Things To Do (traveljuneau.com)

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mapleleaves said:

IIRC there are only 3 helicopter companies in Juneau.  Northstar Trekking, Coastal, and Temsco.

Contact them to see when their season begins.  Usually the end of May is when things start to ramp up.  And most glacier activities have ended by mid Aug due to snow melt.

A great resource for you to check is the virtual visitor guide provided by Juneau Visitor Information. 

Juneau Virtual Visitor's Guide | Attractions & Things To Do (traveljuneau.com)

Thanks so much! Will do.