Intensive Ireland

manc

Of the ports we visited only Foynes was a disappointment. For those who didn't do an excursion there was virtually nothing to do in the village. A museum dedicated to flying boars with a cafe, a pub and a small supermarket selling everything! 2 days in Cork would have been better as lots to see and do. There was a shuttle bus from tender to the museum but we weren't told and like many only found it by chance when returning to the ship. The local people were very friendly but people need more activity than Foynes can provide. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, manc said:

Of the ports we visited only Foynes was a disappointment. For those who didn't do an excursion there was virtually nothing to do in the village. A museum dedicated to flying boars with a cafe, a pub and a small supermarket selling everything! 2 days in Cork would have been better as lots to see and do. There was a shuttle bus from tender to the museum but we weren't told and like many only found it by chance when returning to the ship. The local people were very friendly but people need more activity than Foynes can provide. 

Have you ever been to Olden in Norway? There is nothing there bar a visitor reception area and a shop.

This is why cruise lines sell tours. 

• Like 2

We realise that this is why lines sell tours but their staff also want to go on shore and somewhere like Foynes does not meet their needs. They need to be able to relax and spend some time on shore 

On 9/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, manc said:

We realise that this is why lines sell tours but their staff also want to go on shore and somewhere like Foynes does not meet their needs. They need to be able to relax and spend some time on shore 

If Azamara has one ship that calls at Foynes once a year is it a big deal for the crew. There are plenty of other stops were the crews needs can be met.

What would be worse for the crew is being a cruise line like RCI or Viking were they repeat and repeat and repeat the ports of call for an entire season.

• Like 2

I’d have to agree, Foynes wasn’t the most exciting port but we enjoyed it just the same. Having done a little research ahead of time I knew we’d need to book something We toured the countryside, seeing Limerick and  lovely town of Adare. Every minute spent in Ireland had something special to offer. I don’t know about all of them but our sailing on the Pursuit in June was a Perry Golf tour. 

Edited by DreadPirateRobert
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

I will admit I have very little knowledge about golf but is it possible that this was a Perry Golf cruise and if so is there a course near Foynes that would be popular with golfers?

I cannot be 100% sure but I think the Perry Golfers on the Aug/Sept Intensive Ireland cruise went to Adare Manor from Foynes (even better than Portrush in Country Antrim).  We met a couple of golfers and they said it was the best course on the whole trip (the other courses were also very good).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Medeba said:

I cannot be 100% sure but I think the Perry Golfers on the Aug/Sept Intensive Ireland cruise went to Adare Manor from Foynes (even better than Portrush in Country Antrim).  We met a couple of golfers and they said it was the best course on the whole trip (the other courses were also very good).  

Adare Manor….site of 2027 Ryder Cup!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Medeba said:

Excuse the pun, but its a bit like horses for courses

The two golf courses are like chalk and cheese, Royal Portrush is a Links course and Adare Manor parkland.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, norn iron said:

Excuse the pun, but its a bit like horses for courses

The two golf courses are like chalk and cheese, Royal Portrush is a Links course and Adare Manor parkland.

Just shows you what I know about golf!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Took the ship tour to Limerick from Foynes.  The main attraction was the 12th C (?) St. John’s castle.  Excellent multimedia displays on Irish history there/ and good views from the battlements.  St. Mary’s Cathedral also worth the extra charge (on our free time).
Nice to see that Limerick is rebuilding and renovating its riverfront - no longer “Angela’s Ashes” squalor.

We liked all the ports on this trip.

• Like 2