FlightEase airline limitations?

liberty176

Hi!  We're booked on an Iceland/Scotland cruise for summer 2024 and I'm starting to look at airfare (x4 so it's a lot of $$).  This is my first time considering FlightEase, so I'm not sure what limits it has, or if it only works with certain airlines.

I'm trying to fly from the USA-LON, and then home AMS-USA.  I only want non-stop since we live on the West Coast and are flying with kids.  And we're definitely flying economy.

Does FlightEase work with all airlines, or only some?  I'm only being offered two choices for the outbound flight (Virgin Atlantic, KLM), and I know there are a couple of other flights that exist on the schedule (notably United).  Once I picked the Virgin Atlantic flight, that became the only option for the return from AMS--but it's only offered with a stop, they don't fly direct from AMS to my home airport.  There are no other choices.  If I choice KLM for the outbound leg, I can fly them nonstop home, but it's more than $1,000 more per person.

Even with the above of one direct/one with a stop, it's still almost $800 more per person than if I book directly with United (which doesn't seem to be on FlightEase at all for my routes/dates)--is that typical with FlightEase?  Am I paying an upcharge to be able to lock in my ticket price now yet not have to commit to paying right now?  

Thank you!

My best advice from experience is that FE is a consolidator and their inventory changes, sometimes daily!  I always book something as soon as it is available, watch for a sale or better flight.  At the same time I set up fare alerts on google.  A nonstop flight from the west coast to Europe is not going to have as many options as a flight with a single stop. 

If United has a refundable fare option you might want to consider choosing that and book that too. 

one last thing sometimes HAL will have business class fares very little above economy especially from Amsterdam 

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 1

Agree w/ @boulders that it may just be too early, so keep checking. As @Mary229 said, FE is a consolidator, so they get blocks of seats and inventory changes. They do work w/multiple airlines, but may not have secured seats on the flights you're looking for. 

Also, the more filters you use, the fewer results your search will return. So other airlines may be available, but got filtered out in your search.

We use FE, but also book direct if we find flights we like better. So, we don't use FE exclusively. 

You have the luxury of time, so you can continue to search both FE and airlines. If you use the flexible option on FE, you can book something if you find flights that work then change or cancel if you find something better - without cost or penalties until final payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice is to book asap, flights should be available 360 days before your return date. Try using the IATA website and google flights to play around with dates, it can be cheaper to leave a day earlier or stay a day extra.

I booked our flights to Asia as soon as they were available, now they are double.

Do check  with F.E. and if possible check for refundable flights so you can always cancel for a better deal. KLM now has a good P.E. offering.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search 

happy planning 

Rosalyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, thank you.  That makes sense.  I booked a flexible airfare directly with United as my dates are pretty fixed, but will keep monitoring FE as well in case it's too early.  We don't usually book this early, but I figured since we know our dates I figured we should take it.  It's a little higher than I'd like, but not a price that I'm unwilling to pay.  Thanks for the explanations!

4 hours ago, Ellencruise said:

Flight schedules are available 330 days ahead, not 360

Actually it seems we are both more or less right, its not the exact science I thought it was. It varies according to the airline.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-ticket-release-dates/

6 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

If we book with flightease, does the cost get added to the total for mariner status, the $300 = 1 night thing.  

and can we pick seats at the time we book or not until final payment?  That alone might be a deal breaker for me 

No , flights and other precruise items such as hotels do not count.   

Picking seats depends on class.  If you pick economy you may only be given limited choices.   Once ticketed you can upgrade your seats.  It depends on if the seat is upgradable in its class.  For example, I fly American most times and American offers all kinds of tiers of economy seats some of which may not be available without an upgrade fee

8 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

If we book with flightease, does the cost get added to the total for mariner status, the $300 = 1 night thing.  

No, it is only awarded for on board spending or items (such as pre booked excursions or speciality restaurants) that appear on the on board account.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

and can we pick seats at the time we book or not until final payment?  That alone might be a deal breaker for me 

Depends on airline and seat category.  Even a business class ticket with British Airways has to pay extra to select a seat or wait until check in.