CruiseNext on an existing reservation

schmoopie17

Several weeks ago there was a CC discussion on CruiseNext deposits. One of the issues was whether or not you can apply a CND (CruiseNext Deposit) on an existing reservation. Several people indicated that they have done this many times.

However, the small print on the NCL website regarding CNDs says: 

A CND can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash.

So...is this new? Were you once able to apply to an existing reservation but no longer can?

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Several weeks ago there was a CC discussion on CruiseNext deposits. One of the issues was whether or not you can apply a CND (CruiseNext Deposit) on an existing reservation. Several people indicated that they have done this many times.

A CND can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash.

So...is this new? Were you once able to apply to an existing reservation but no longer can?

Officially that’s always been the policy, in practice their IT system is too dumb to enforce it. The value of a CND doesn’t usually match the required deposit anyway so I think that’s why they haven’t fixed the loophole.. or we all stay quiet and don’t tell them about the quirk. 

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

It's always said that, at least in all the time that I've been using them.

Is it a bug in their system - maybe. However, my take is that since you can always cancel and rebook up until final payment due date (US bookings), anything that is not past final payment due date is still considered a "new" reservation.

We had a deposit only rsvp prior to purchasing cruise next.  
I was told yes I could use but if I did I would be charged current price

the price had increase by over 1000$ so we didn’t use.

I check with 3 ncl sources and all said the same thing 

1 minute ago, Susandt said:

We had a deposit only rsvp prior to purchasing cruise next.  
I was told yes I could use but if I did I would be charged current price

the price had increase by over 1000$ so we didn’t use.

I check with 3 ncl sources and all said the same thing 

What you were told and/or read is not what has happened in my experience.  The certificates are applied as a deposit, any payment prior to final payment date is always a deposit. Unless you are not in the US, then the terms might be different.

Just go to your account, use them to make a payment and they will either accept or reject that payment, depending on the current terms of use. The only effect on your reservation is a payment.

Unless of course the terms have changed in the last month, since I just applied an additional one (double up promo) to a booking I made almost 2 years ago and still has a few months to go before final payment is due...

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

What you were told and/or read is not what has happened in my experience.  The certificates are applied as a deposit, any payment prior to final payment date is always a deposit. Unless you are not in the US, then the terms might be different.

Just go to your account, use them to make a payment and they will either accept or reject that payment, depending on the current terms of use. The only effect on your reservation is a payment.

Unless of course the terms have changed in the last month, since I just applied an additional one (double up promo) to a booking I made almost 2 years ago and still has a few months to go before final payment is due...

That’s what several people on this board said.

I talked to cruise next deck onboard, my Pcc and I called cruise next phone.  It wasn’t worth trying to risk price change

Edited by Susandt