First to disembark in Rio?

JYDCruise

We're looking at booking the Buenos Aires - Rio cruise on the Marina this March. However, one of our party needs to get home that same day, which would require catching an 11AM flight.

The ship is scheduled to dock at 7AM; I'm assuming it's at Pier Maua, so 20-30 minutes from the airport. If we could be the first off the ship, we could probably get a (prearranged) ride to the airport at . . . 7:15? 7:30? and get to the airport by 8-8:15AM or so, which should be plenty of time to make the flight. There are a lot of moving parts involved, though - the ship has to dock on time, port personnel (customs/immigration? We'll have already been to several ports in Brazil) need to be there and working, no delays departing the ship, no huge traffic issues, airline can't mis-connect (~90 minutes in Panama), etc.

Any thoughts? Would Oceania allow us to be among the first off the ship? We'll be in a Veranda (possibly Concierge) if that matters.

Edited by JYDCruise

You did not define “need” and that is a part of the decision making.   If it is a matter of something like getting fired if I don’t get home that day then yes, the 11:00am, while not advisable because of all the moving parts that can go wrong, is doable.

But assuming we are really talking about (strongly) want vs. need,  an emotion-based question for all in your party to ask themselves is:  how much would I worry during the cruise about missing the flight home and would it interfere in my enjoyment in any way?  If the answer is yes from anyone I would consider schedule a later flight or the next day’s flight.  Cruises are too expensive to spend time during them worrying about whether you will make your flight home.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jockocruiser said:

Passports held until last day is also problematic.

You go to the purser & request your passport

Usually the purser will be informed if you are leaving early you may need to get permission ahead of time  so you can clear Immigration if required

We had to leave mid cruise due to  a medical issue 

they sent someone with a baggage trolley to take our bags down to the crew exit 

Concierge even arranged  for  a car to take us to the airport  (at  a reasonable expense)

If the ship arrives in port before 7am and if it is cleared for disembarkment anf you personally carry off your own luggage without crew help, and if your pre-arranged ride is there, you may make an 11am flight. it may work out, but there are a lot of ifs.