Midnight refund deadline tonight. Help

redwave

I booked with a third party with a 24 call center. I spoke with them numerous times over the past few days and they told me I could cancel up until midnight tonight for full refund. But now when I’m calling they telling me RCCL closed and they can’t call them to cancel…

Any advice?

ty so much. 

Ps I was able to reach royal before midnight but they said they can’t cancel because it was booked by a third party.

Also was able to use the contact form on royal website before midnight to let them now that I was trying to cancel res before penalties kick in. 
Will they honor?

1 hour ago, redwave said:

I booked with a third party with a 24 call center. I spoke with them numerous times over the past few days and they told me I could cancel up until midnight tonight for full refund. But now when I’m calling they telling me RCCL closed and they can’t call them to cancel…

Any advice?

ty so much. 

Find a new travel agent.

29 minutes ago, redwave said:

Ps I was able to reach royal before midnight but they said they can’t cancel because it was booked by a third party.

Also was able to use the contact form on royal website before midnight to let them now that I was trying to cancel res before penalties kick in. 
Will they honor?

What did the third party 24 call center say when you called them after you called RCL?

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, redwave said:

Any advice?

ty so much. 

Not sure why they would have ever told you midnight.  Every invoice I have seen shows a deadline of 5pm est.

Call centers for travel agents close at 9pm M-F and 6pm on weekends however travel agents have access to your booking through cruising power 24/7 and can cancel it through that without the need to call.  Definitely time to find a TA that knows how the system operates.

image.png.67593759577a43835adb98e5265e5276.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure why they would have ever told you midnight.  Every invoice I have seen shows a deadline of 5pm est.

Call centers for travel agents close at 9pm M-F and 6pm on weekends however travel agents have access to your booking through cruising power 24/7 and can cancel it through that without the need to call.  Definitely time to find a TA that knows how the system operates.

When I spoke to royal last night at 11:55pm they did not say I missed the deadline when they accessed the res, they said they were unable to cancel due to third party booking etc. 

8 minutes ago, redwave said:

When I spoke to royal last night at 11:55pm they did not say I missed the deadline when they accessed the res, they said they were unable to cancel due to third party booking etc. 

I understand that and sometimes they do allow a grace period until the end of day.

My issue would be as to why your TA is telling you midnight when it is clearly marked on the reservation 5pm.

Refund of what?  Deposit? Was it a refundable deposit and/or did they put you in a group booking?  After final payment, there are penalties but before that you forfeit money even before final payment.

Edited by BND

On 9/19/2023 at 8:19 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

The line underneath also eliminates ambiguity. 

The balance due must be paid in full by the final payment date listed above to prevent your booking from cancelling. Balance and payments may not reflect recent

transactions made within the past 48 hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redwave said:

My travel cruise website required final payment in full a week before the 90 day refund mark. 

Then this is an issue with your TA.  If they required full payment a week prior but then continued to tell you that you could cancel right up to midnight of the final payment date they gave bad information.  First, they should have advised you that cutoff was 5pm as it is clearly spelled out on the contract they would have forwarded to you. Second, when communicating with you about cancellation and how late you could cancel they should have known and informed you that they must cancel it and what hours they would be available to do that.

They failed you on every account.  Sadly, you had a negligent TA or giving them the benefit of the doubt, you misunderstood what they told you.  Either way it is now too late.  If you cancel now you are in the 25% penalty phase.  If you truly can't go, I would instruct your TA to cancel immediately before you get to the 50% penalty phase.  Any further delay is only going to cost you more money. 

Since I have never cancelled for a refund inside the penalty phase I don't know exactly how they handle all things at this point.  

Perhaps Ken @Ourusualbeach has info... is the penalty only 25% of the fare minus taxes and fees or is it 25% off of the final "out the door" invoice price.  I would assume 25% of the fare... but you know what they say about assuming.

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Then this is an issue with your TA.  If they required full payment a week prior but then continued to tell you that you could cancel right up to midnight of the final payment date they gave bad information.  First, they should have advised you that cutoff was 5pm as it is clearly spelled out on the contract they would have forwarded to you. Second, when communicating with you about cancellation and how late you could cancel they should have known and informed you that they must cancel it and what hours they would be available to do that.

They failed you on every account.  Sadly, you had a negligent TA or giving them the benefit of the doubt, you misunderstood what they told you.  Either way it is now too late.  If you cancel now you are in the 25% penalty phase.  If you truly can't go, I would instruct your TA to cancel immediately before you get to the 50% penalty phase.  Any further delay is only going to cost you more money. 

Since I have never cancelled for a refund inside the penalty phase I don't know exactly how they handle all things at this point.  

Perhaps Ken @Ourusualbeach has info... is the penalty only 25% of the fare minus taxes and fees or is it 25% off of the final "out the door" invoice price.  I would assume 25% of the fare... but you know what they say about assuming.

The penalty only applies to cruise fare.  Taxes and fees, gratuities and cruise planner items are always refunded in full.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The penalty only applies to cruise fare.  Taxes and fees, gratuities and cruise planner items are always refunded in full.

That is what I thought but I thought to ask just for the OP's clarification on how much they are on the hook for.

Thanks Ken

• Like 1