St Tropez

robertmartha

Sailing to St Tropez in early November - checked out the ports section - very few posts so thought I would post on the Seabourn board since Seabourn stops here on several of their sailings. Only a handful of excursions offered thru the line so I was hoping for any advice and or recommendations of excursions or experiences. Have been searching on my own and while their seem to be quite a few charming towns nearby and Nice is about an hour and half away...I cannot locate any private tours / companies offering day trips. We are in port till 11pm so really have the entire day into evening for a great day trip.....if we can find one ! 😂

thanks - 

Bob

Several nearby villages are quite scenic, and not quite so tourist overrun as the ones near Nice.  Off-season can be pretty quiet around there, though.  The hilltop villages of Gassin and Ramatuelle (quite small) and Grimaud (a bit larger) are interesting for the way they were built for defense and have nice views.   

9 hours ago, robertmartha said:

Sailing to St Tropez in early November - checked out the ports section - very few posts so thought I would post on the Seabourn board since Seabourn stops here on several of their sailings. Only a handful of excursions offered thru the line so I was hoping for any advice and or recommendations of excursions or experiences. Have been searching on my own and while their seem to be quite a few charming towns nearby and Nice is about an hour and half away...I cannot locate any private tours / companies offering day trips. We are in port till 11pm so really have the entire day into evening for a great day trip.....if we can find one ! 😂

thanks - 

Bob

There is a very good train that runs all the way along the coast into Monaco and up to Grasse. 

13 hours ago, robertmartha said:

thanks - 

Bob

It's not actually in season in November so you might be limited.

June until September is the time to visit St Tropez

St. Tropez has their annual  major "sale" day the last four days of October.  The designer stores as well as many of the small boutiques participate before they close for the season. The streets are strewn with people and clothing.

We might be lucky that the Ovation arrives the day before the sale begins== and again after the the sale is over.

I have visited St. Tropez many times and there are advantages to visiting off season when the streets are less crowded and the restaurants are happy to see you.

48 minutes ago, Utopia1 said:

St. Tropez has their annual  major "sale" day the last four days of October.  The designer stores as well as many of the small boutiques participate before they close for the season. The streets are strewn with people and clothing.

We might be lucky that the Ovation arrives the day before the sale begins== and again after the the sale is over.

I have visited St. Tropez many times and there are advantages to visiting off season when the streets are less crowded and the restaurants are happy to see you.

Not many advantages though in November.

The visit to St. Tropez depends on what you plan on doing. -- My interests are personal-- among one of the things I plan to do is visit a shoe store that I've patronized for over 25 years.  I'm bringing in several pair of old sandals  for restoration and  hope to make some purchases . 

St. Tropez is a tender port-- Hopefully we won't have a problem-

1 minute ago, robertmartha said:

Utopia1 - are you sailing on Ovations 14 day RT Oct into Nov from Barcelona? We are only on the second leg - Rome to Barcelona.

SunViking - TY for the recommendation

Bob

Yes-- I am on that segment and several other segments

I'm really like the itinerary.

If you are not adverse to driving yourself, I if I am recalling correctly there is a Hertz office within east walking distance to the port. We rented a car and drove to many areas along the Riviera

We enjoyed visiting Cassis and Castellet during a port stop in Saint Raphael (further east than St. Tropez) earlier this year. We booked a driver/guide using Tours By Locals. If Franck Holl is available, we had a great day with him. Our cruise later ended in Monaco and I hired a local company for a day trip for our group ending in Nice — but the company does day tours all along this section of the coast, so you might want to look them up: Azur Connection is the company, Gregory Ridao is the manager and ended up being our guide for the day. I'd highly recommend him as well.