Onboard Explora 1 (Sept 25- Oct 13) with Hank

Hlitner

Comments were made yesterday about the challenges of delivering a truly luxury experience to 900 people (and Crystal going as far as reducing the number of passengers on its ships).

This photo of Explora 1 next to Seabourn Quest in New York today kind of sums that up for me. It’s a much bigger ship!

IMG_2875.thumb.jpeg.cd0926b5c2807de1c5f4b830d5885df5.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Heike Berdos is coming back soon. If she’s as good as she was on Azamara, and if Geneva hasn’t tied her hands, that should make a real difference. 

Agree totally. If there are issues with communication then Heike is undoubtedly a dedicated and experienced professional that can turn this situation around. 
Vicki Brown

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Comments were made yesterday about the challenges of delivering a truly luxury experience to 900 people (and Crystal going as far as reducing the number of passengers on its ships).

This photo of Explora 1 next to Seabourn Quest in New York today kind of sums that up for me. It’s a much bigger ship!

Crystal’s reduction in guests capacity came form to them needing to increase the number of larger cabins/suites to be competitive - Explora doesn’t have that issue 

Explora is designed for up to 900 - although given that’s max double occupancy one had to wonder if it will ever sail with that many onboard 

The public areas and lounges on both Explora and Crystal is ample for the capacity and let’s face it when Crystal had the larger capacity no one was complaining about the space in public areas - of course they very rarely sailed at max capacity as well 

Re comparison to smaller ships like the Seabourn one - I think they lack the critical mass for the range of restaurants, entertainment and public spaces that Explora can justify and fund with their larger capacity 

I don’t doubt the ability to provide a luxury experience to up to 900 guests - but as I’ve said how often will it be 900 guests? Then of course the debate can rage as to just what that “luxury experience” should be

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Re comparison to smaller ships like the Seabourn one - I think they lack the critical mass for the range of restaurants, entertainment and public spaces that Explora can justify and fund with their larger capacity.

Obviously. Which is why Oasis of the Seas has 20+ restaurants. That doesn’t make it nicer though. 

Just my opinion (and I appreciate some might disagree) - the fewer passengers, the more personal and better the service. I sincerely doubt Explora will deliver to its current standards when there’s 900 people, not 320, on board. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

Heike Berdos is coming back soon. If she’s as good as she was on Azamara, and if Geneva hasn’t tied her hands, that should make a real difference. 

And therein lies the question.

If current onboard management is shackled by Geneva, why should that be any different just because there is a different person in ONE onboard position? 

Is HQ saying "we trust Heike, but you guys need to be on a short leash"? If so, that's a huge indictment of their current hiring and staffing.

Or is the short leash a defining feature of the corporation?

At a certain point, all the flash of a new ship, even added to the quality of the food - they can't overcome basic failings for a luxury product.

If that makes me a complainer, perhaps it's to balance out the rah-rah, there's nothing wrong that won't be fixed, starry-eyed polyannas.

The Whip is anything but starry eyed. Have been critical of much as I have waxed poetic about the ship. 
I  agree ship unlikely ever to have 900 pax on board but the likelihood of them being able to accommodate even 800 at once in Journeys is not possible or even close to possible. And the idea that they will show movies or have events in the Conservatory is just plain nuts. The sound problem in there can’t be fixed. Period. A basic design flaw. Just go in there when the fog horn is blowing. 
As long as there are max 500 pax all will be fine. Let’s see what happens once they start to fill up in Caribbean waters with avid south FL cruisers. The design flaws together with poor communication and mismanaged staff will be a nightmare. 
We have booked three cruises in 24 but plenty of time to cancel before penalties start. Holding my breath because we really want to go back for the pool and the bread. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

The Whip is anything but starry eyed. Have been critical of much as I have waxed poetic about the ship. 
I  agree ship unlikely ever to have 900 pax on board but the likelihood of them being able to accommodate even 800 at once in Journeys is not possible or even close to possible. And the idea that they will show movies or have events in the Conservatory is just plain nuts. The sound problem in there can’t be fixed. Period. A basic design flaw. Just go in there when the fog horn is blowing. 
As long as there are max 500 pax all will be fine. Let’s see what happens once they start to fill up in Caribbean waters with avid south FL cruisers. The design flaws together with poor communication and mismanaged staff will be a nightmare. 
We have booked three cruises in 24 but plenty of time to cancel before penalties start. Holding my breath because we really want to go back for the pool and the bread. 

Will keep an open mind as we yoo would love to come back because of all of the many positives

Here we are in the Lobby Bar with hundreds of travel pros.  They know where they will eat and are supposed to be.  The paying folks know zero.  We have never officially been told anything.  It is interesting to be on a full ship.  

The visitors are mostly in very dressy outfits and enjoying the free booze.

There have been a few waiters around with hors d’ouevres which is a first on this cruise.  The entertainment tonight are a couple of bands and the pianists playing around the ship.

We talked to someone who went on the highly touted Steinway tour. She was not pleased and said it would have been awful if folks had to pay the 250 Euro fee.  They went through the factory when the workers were mostly on break.  Guess we are lucky that we just walked over to MOMA.

Hank

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Here we are in the Lobby Bar with hundreds of travel pros.  They know where they will eat and are supposed to be.  The paying folks know zero.  We have never officially been told anything.  It is interesting to be on a full ship.  

The visitors are mostly in very dressy outfits and enjoying the free booze.

There have been a few waiters around with hors d’ouevres which is a first on this cruise.  The entertainment tonight are a couple of bands and the pianists playing around the ship.

We talked to someone who went on the highly touted Steinway tour. She was not pleased and said it would have been awful if folks had to pay the 250 Euro fee.  They went through the factory when the workers were mostly on break.  Guess we are lucky that we just walked over to MOMA.

Hank

Please keep your reports coming particularly on what the ship feels like when it's full.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Please keep your reports coming particularly on what the ship feels like when it's full.

As predicted the paying “guests”

are treated like 3rd class folks.  However, the bar staff and waiters, who we have gotten to know, continue to treat us very well with a nod nod wink wink.  They would not allow us in the Journeys Lounge (VIPs only) so we are in Explora Lounge to watch the ceremony on monitors. There is a good crowd here so we are in good company of the “not VIPs)

We have heard that the Aponte’s are aboard and curious if any of them will speak.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As predicted the paying “guests”

are treated like 3rd class folks.  However, the bar staff and waiters, who we have gotten to know, continue to treat us very well with a nod nod wink wink.  They would not allow us in the Journeys Lounge (VIPs only) so we are in Explora Lounge to watch the ceremony on monitors. There is a good crowd here so we are in good company of the “not VIPs)

We have heard that the Aponte’s are aboard and curious if any of them will speak.

This to me is just outrageous! It’s paying guests that keep the ship afloat and the TA’s working! I noticed a post on another sight talking about the haves and have nots currently on board! Kudos to the poster. Honestly tired of the bragging and photo op’s of non paying guests (TA’s)who wouldn’t be there without those that pay. 

sorry needed to vent. 

• Like 2

Much of the naming ceremony (still ongoing) is about MSC, the MSC Foundation, celebrating the family company, and it many environmental projects.  There is no attempt to seperate this new brand from MSC and the Apponte family.  

The Godmother, Dr Sylvia Earle. Is certainly an amazing lady and a fitting person to launch this company.  Nice to see EJ choose a person who ties into the marine world.

Hank

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Much of the naming ceremony (still ongoing) is about MSC, the MSC Foundation, celebrating the family company, and it many environmental projects.  There is no attempt to seperate this new brand from MSC and the Apponte family. 

Hank

I saw this questioned posed on another forum. Certainly in the beginning phase of EJ it was touted as luxury and not at all like MSC cruises. MSC does not have a good name ID.  Apparently, they now are linking the the two using the MSC logo onboard EJ. Whoever asked the question was quickly lectured by TAs that it's a family-run operation blah blah. 

• Like 1

This ship is weird.  Sitting in the beautiful Explora Lounge, with the NYC skyline as the background, listening to Layke and Lydia (amazing resident singers), with about an audience of less than 20.  There must be at least 600 on the ship, but they are missing the best entertainment.

Hank

• Like 1

On the other hand, in the Journeys Lounge they have a 13 piece swing band from LA.  This band is a remake of the old Big Bands and quite amazing.  The crowd here is mostly younger folks in Black gowns and suits.  Not your typical luxury cruisers, but fun to watch.  Most of these folks are getting a free party, but we are not sure how this will translate into passenger bookings. Most we have talked with are travel professionals who handle bookings, but are not big time cruisers.  Whether they will influence client decisions is a question.

But EJ has certainly gone to great lengths to impress the industry.  They do know how to throw a party.  

Hank

• Like 2

I saw the menu and have borrowed the photo. If I’m not mistaken, these items are on standard menus. 
I think it’s all wrong how they’ve treated their guests as opposed to those on a “business trip”

IMG_0135.jpeg

• Like 1

Last night it was the Emporium for all the paying Guests and some of the visitors.  Keep in mind that the Emporium is actually quite good.   For DW and I it was all seafood.  She enjoyed a rich, filling lobster casserole that was fantastic.  I started with some fresh crab claws and jumbo shrimp.  I then had a couple of grilled (to order) lobsters along with some hand carved lamb.  

Our adventure ends in about an hour when we will walk off the ship and grab an Uber to our nearby DDs NYC home.  My view from Crema is blocked by a large Disney ship 😐

Hank

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The Godmother, Dr Sylvia Earle. Is certainly an amazing lady and a fitting person to launch this company.  Nice to see EJ choose a person who ties into the marine world.

Hank

I see they got goody bags. Hope you got one - it’s the very least they could do. 

I’ve been to naming ceremonies on other lines and there was no distinction between paying guests and the hangers on. I think there is a very clear message about MSCs focus here 

Curious did paying guests have champagne and free ship models in their staterooms last evening?. 

IMG_4287.thumb.jpeg.7fde058320c48fccae1ae1cc477ecb08.jpeg

And when TA say they pay in full they are not being completely honest. TA cruises on MSC are deeply discounted. They can book a journey for pennies on dollar. About 1/4 of what full paying guest pays 

Edited by kidless
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I think it’s all wrong how they’ve treated their guests as opposed to those on a “business trip”

IMG_0135.jpeg

We know why they do that on other forums the “influencers & TAs” sing the praises and dispute any criticism a paying guest might make. Criticism was posted last night on how paying guests were treated yesterday and all the TAs attacked 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kidless said:

We know why they do that on other forums the “influencers & TAs” sing the praises and dispute any criticism a paying guest might make. Criticism was posted last night on how paying guests were treated yesterday and all the TAs attacked 

I am not a FB follower However, I just did get off the ship yesterday. My assessment is very up to date 

There are many wonderful parts about the ship. And we had an incredibly wonderful time. It reminds me of when. Children receive a report card and they get some categories Excellent, and some categories needs to improve.. It does not make them a bad child. Nor does it make this a bad ship However they are both young and neither should be sent to the room.nor given rewards for excellence due to the price point and the way they play on the playground with paying guests and their below average communication skills

Best to all

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

I am not a FB follower However, I just did get off the ship yesterday. My assessment is very up to date 

There are many wonderful parts about the ship. And we had an incredibly wonderful time. It reminds me of when. Children receive a report card and they get some categories Excellent, and some categories needs to improve.. It does not make them a bad child. Nor does it make this a bad ship However they are both young and neither should be sent to the room.nor given rewards for excellence due to the price point and the way they play on the playground with paying guests and their below average communication skills

Best to all

Not disputing this at all. However, making note that the report cards from those rewarded with free cruises and goodie bags should be taken with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1