Panama cruise ports

emmajo

I have searched the boards for information pertaining especially to Puerto Quetzel Guatemala, Corinto Nicaragua, Puerto Caldera Costa Rica on our Panama trip since these will be new to us. We do not want to do shore excursions per se, but reading up on some of these places, we may need to get transportation into a nearby town since the port itself may be rather industrial to explore. For example..to Antigua Guatemala.

We are booked on the Norwegian Sun this October. We have joined the roll call and there has been a suggestion of private tours. Are the tours through NCL on a bus or in a van?

I would really appreciate input from people who have been in these ports and may have taken a bus or van to explore away from the port itself.

Thanks so much!

There appears to be information on some of these ports on the Panama Canal board.

Some Canal cruises have port calls in Colombia and there is a separate board for Colombia in the ports of çall board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/391-colombia/

• Like 2

We cruised the canal on the Encore in April. The only one of those ports we stopped at was Puerto Quetzal. We did Antigua on your own (or something like that). It was a nice tour bus up to Antigua. It was probably my favorite excursion. I would caution that the streets in Antigua are VERY uneven and make walking difficult. Make sure to wear good shoes, not sandals.

We did the Antigua on your own tour in Guatemala (puerto Quetzal) and it was a really cool trip. The drive is long from the port and the buses park at the entrance of the town since they can’t drive inside due to narrow streets. The town is very busy and there are many shops, restaurants, sites to stop and see. The drive to/from is quite scenic! Lots of walking and not for those with limited mobility.

Thank you @Kodiak99 and Coffeeluvr05 …exactly the information I was hoping for!

Also thanks Host Carolyn …I have been doing my homework searching for recent information about the ports I mentioned. I found some further links on the Panama forum you suggested. It’s always interesting where you end up following the labyrinth of links! 

Agree with all that's been said about the "Antigua on Your Own" excursion.  Just wanted to add the recommendation to take only the NCL excursion due to the distance from the port.  We were told that there are frequent traffic issues on the road.  It was a very popular excursion so book early.  Also, as others have mentioned do not wear sandals.  It was the worst "pavement" I have ever had to walk on anywhere.  (Ancient Pompeii has better roads, lol!)  Easy to turn an ankle without sturdy shoes.   Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the nice vendors market at the port. Wished I had more time for it and I'm not even much of a shopper.

• Thanks 1