Daily Service Fees

hlk08003

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So, reducing the DSC, either affects the crew's compensation or it does not. 🤦‍♂️

So, guest services either has or has not told passengers just reduce the DSC. 🤦‍♂️

I guess I have learned a lot from this thread. 😒

And now I do not know when I refer to my DW whether she is my DISCRETIONARY wife or my DAILY wife. 🤣

Just don’t call her your Service Wife🤣

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The impact of a small amount of pro[lr skoplifting a pack of gum from 7-11 is immaterial.  (Any loss is measurable, BTW.)

So what is your point?  

Did you actually understand the specific context in which my statement was made? 

What exactly did you infer from what I wrote that would lead to make such a correlation?

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

How about instead of calling this semantic, we call it pedantic.  A term  used to refer to someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality.

Not sure if that is wise since a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that people aren't educated as to the difference between gratuity and service charge. And people on CC aren't going to find out the answer because they afraid that it would show how wrong they've been, so we get cute snarky comments instead.

Your suggestion is between semantic and pedantic? That is your concern? Pot-Kettle sir, Pot-Kettle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Just don’t call her your Service Wife🤣

No problem, I would never do that.

We celebrated our 46th anniversary in August on the Prima on a sea day between Norway and Iceland. So, we do know how to treat one another.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

No problem, I would never do that.

We celebrated our 46th anniversary in August on the Prima on a sea day between Norway and Iceland. So, we do know how to treat one another.

That was supposed to be funny…I would never expect you would do that.  Congrats on 46 years…and what an destination to mark the memory.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Not sure if that is wise since a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that people aren't educated as to the difference between gratuity and service charge. And people on CC aren't going to find out the answer because they afraid that it would show how wrong they've been, so we get cute snarky comments instead.

Your suggestion is between semantic and pedantic? That is your concern? Pot-Kettle sir, Pot-Kettle.

Exactly!!!  I had the semantics barb thrown at me in the past when trying to point out there is a difference between DSC and gratuities.  Rather than trying to understand and educate themselves, folks would rather post rude comments which a lot of times don't have reason behind them.

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

That was supposed to be funny…I would never expect you would do that.  Congrats on 46 years…and what an destination to mark the memory.  

Yes, both Norway and Iceland were spectacular destinations.

We actually sailed our first cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary, Barcelona to Barcelona with stops in Italy, France, and Malta. Those were also wonderful ports.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, both Norway and Iceland were spectacular destinations.

We actually sailed our first cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary, Barcelona to Barcelona with stops in Italy, France, and Malta. Those were also wonderful ports.

Wishing you many more anniversary cruises.  We celebrated our 32nd … on April Fools Day.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Exactly!!!  I had the semantics barb thrown at me in the past when trying to point out there is a difference between DSC and gratuities.  Rather than trying to understand and educate themselves, folks would rather post rude comments which a lot of times don't have reason behind them.

The cash tipping/gratuities has morphed over the years to the DSC because the lines realised Americans love tipping so much they will happily pay out twice.

• Like 2

In case no one noticed, the OP posted, then "ghosted" the thread.

But since we're already here, what if we thought of the DSC as a cousin to hotel "resort" fees... annoying, but generally inescapable, with few exceptions.

Now, I'm not privy to NCL's P&Ls, so I can't comment on who's pockets the DSC fees actually ending up in; but I do know I prefer the DSCs vs. handing out envelopes with cash at the end of the cruise, along with the fact that I can pre-pay them prior to boarding and be done with it.

Why don't we all concentrate on the middle letter of DSC... S = Service.

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Wishing you many more anniversary cruises.  We celebrated our 32nd … on April Fools Day.  

Ours was on August 13th. And at one point I figured out which anniversaries will fall on a Friday the 13th. I just calculated it again and the next one will be our 50th in 2027. 

(An this month has a Friday the 13th.)

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:28 PM, UKstages said:

that would be great logic if it were so, but the "D" in "DSC stands for "daily.'

in any case, i don't believe it's even called that anymore. it's called the "onboard service charge."

From my upcoming reservation. BTW this res was made before the latest DSC increase

A discretionary charge of $16.00 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. 

So, it is apparent to me that the D is not for Daily but Discretionary.  Call it what you want, name it what you want but when NCL describes it as discretionary, that's what it is.

6 hours ago, azappraiser said:

In case no one noticed, the OP posted, then "ghosted" the thread.

But since we're already here, what if we thought of the DSC as a cousin to hotel "resort" fees... annoying, but generally inescapable, with few exceptions.

Now, I'm not privy to NCL's P&Ls, so I can't comment on who's pockets the DSC fees actually ending up in; but I do know I prefer the DSCs vs. handing out envelopes with cash at the end of the cruise, along with the fact that I can pre-pay them prior to boarding and be done with it.

Why don't we all concentrate on the middle letter of DSC... S = Service.

I like your approach.