Disembarkation 2 hours after docking?

Alyeska1995

Going on Pride of America in November. There's security alert that says disembarkation is 2 hrs after docking. Trying to figure out if the listed arrival time is when we can get off the boat or is it 2 hrs later?

Noticed we have to be back 2 hrs before leaving as well so that cuts our time by 4 hrs on the island. 

2 minutes ago, Alyeska1995 said:

Going on Pride of America in November. There's security alert that says disembarkation is 2 hrs after docking. Trying to figure out if the listed arrival time is when we can get off the boat or is it 2 hrs later?

Noticed we have to be back 2 hrs before leaving as well so that cuts our time by 4 hrs on the island. 

Generally, arrival time is the docking time.

Two hours sounds like a lot, unless it was end of cruise. But you mention returning time. Getting back 2 hrs before departure is also a LOT of time. Sounds like they are trying to scare passengers into not being late.

What port is this for?

2 hours is only for the embarkation port when you board the cruise on the first day. it does not apply to the port of call ports during the cruise

during the cruise, after the ship docks it can usually take about 30 minutes for the ship to get permission to let people off the ship

12 minutes ago, Alyeska1995 said:

Are we talking about the same day? I'm a little confused, you mention having to be back 2 hours "before leaving" but then you also mention disembarkation (which only happens at the end of a cruise, so no one is onshore).

7 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Generally, arrival time is the docking time.

Two hours sounds like a lot, unless it was end of cruise. But you mention returning time. Getting back 2 hrs before departure is also a LOT of time. Sounds like they are trying to scare passengers into not being late.

What port is this for?

They have a little alert on the itinerary page of the cruise. It seems a lot to me to and can't find info on their site 

"Notice

Due to Security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice."

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Are we talking about the same day? I'm a little confused, you mention having to be back 2 hours "before leaving" but then you also mention disembarkation (which only happens at the end of a cruise, so no one is onshore).

This is what it says

Notice

Due to Security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.

6 minutes ago, Alyeska1995 said:

This is what it says

Notice

Due to Security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.

Seems like a huge cushion to me. We sailed on the POA about 8-9 years ago. But things can change.

You still did not mention what port this is for. Also, what is the schedule for the port - times of arrival/departure?

31 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Seems like a huge cushion to me. We sailed on the POA about 8-9 years ago. But things can change.

You still did not mention what port this is for. Also, what is the schedule for the port - times of arrival/departure?

It isn't tied to one port and just says sailing which is why I was wondering if I interpreted correctly. My mom did this trip 13 years ago and wasn't like that at every port. 

48 minutes ago, Alyeska1995 said:

This is what it says

Notice

I think you're talking about two different days. You mentioned in your first post that you'd be losing 4 hours, but that isn't true. "All guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing" sounds like the beginning of the cruise (or, possibly, at a port). Disembarkation is the conclusion of the cruise. So at most, you'd lose 2 hours, not 4.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alyeska1995 said:

It isn't tied to one port and just says sailing which is why I was wondering if I interpreted correctly. My mom did this trip 13 years ago and wasn't like that at every port. 

I agree with DCGuy.

Apparently, you're quoting from a pre-cruise notification.

The posting indicates that you need to board the ship on day 1 at least 2 hours before scheduled sailing time. And on return to Honolulu, if the ship arrives at, say, 6 AM, passengers will probably start to leave the ship at about 8 AM.

The scheduled times at each port stop are your guides for the other days. You should be able to leave the ship shortly after the arrival time and need to return before the departure time - preferably not the last minute. I'll guess they will inform you to be back, say, 30 minutes before that time so you have a cushion.

• Like 1

It’s bad wording from NCL that is commonly misinterpreted by novice cruisers.

On embarkation day everyone must be aboard 2 hours before departure, and at the end of the cruise it takes about 2 hours after docking before they can allow guests to depart.

During the cruise at each port of call you can usually get off the ship within 30minutes of arrival and all aboard is usually 30minutes before departure BUT this is not guaranteed and can vary depending on the port, weather, tides… etc. Always check what the all aboard time is before leaving the ship. If the port is a tender port rather than docking then the times are far more subject to variation, and if it’s a port that involves a shuttle bus also check when the last bus will be,

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alyeska1995 said:

Thanks everyone. I thought it probably meant first and last days but wanted to be sure as we set up rental cars and friends picking us up at port. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic

All aboard is 30 minutes before departure in most ports of call. You have tender ports, so you need to check the last tender times. Expect long lines close to the last tender time. 

Normally, check in at your embarkation port closes 2 hours before departure so ship can clear immigrations and customs. POA is a local cruise. But they may still have the two hour rule. 

Edited by BirdTravels