Make sure your luggage floats

bitob

My husband opened the bag that was delivered 

he has everything drying g out 

i asked him for photos

we travel with lots of dark colored washable stuff. 
Hoping some is salvageable 

he thinks so but he knows nothing about laundry lolol

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LostLiggage said:

At last I know what happened to my luggage.  Docked in Brooklyn after wonder trip on QM2 from Southampton.  Was in queens grill so early disembarkation .  Only two of my three pieces of luggage were available,  Had an appointment so had to leave (driver barely got out of port area due to rain).  Filled out lost luggage notice.  Multiple emails and phone calls, nothing from Cunard.  At least I now, know what happened to missing piece.  Anyone hear anything from Cunard,  feel free to reach out at taburns97210@g**m.c**

I sent ur post to my contact

such disgraceful conduct on Cunard’s part

I just got a call from someone at the pier 

not the same person I contacted 

they do have a list of all lost bags 

everything that floated up was returned to passengers 

My third bag gone 

at least I know

On 9/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, some people do pack meds in checked bags. When there was a storm last winter and flights were delayed/cancelled, I saw a couple interviewed on the news complaining that they couldn't get their luggage and their meds were in there. My first thought was NOBODY does that! But, obviously, some people do. Electronics, meds, jewelry stay with me. I get a little worried if my carry-on has to go into luggage storage under the bus for an airport shuttle. 

I have to travel by Ferry to get to the airport I usually use and they insist to get your hand-luggage (so my electronics and jewelry). I tell you that is a nail-biter every time.

Thanks for help about missing luggage. Not sure if mine went swimming or is just missing. 

what I know is based on this thread I have soured on Cunard to the point I will be canceling our planning April 27 sailing from Southampton to New York. Cunard total lack of communication and compassion is unacceptable. 

4 hours ago, BVILady said:

I have to travel by Ferry to get to the airport I usually use and they insist to get your hand-luggage (so my electronics and jewelry). I tell you that is a nail-biter every time.

Not the most fashionable, but definitely one of the most protective ways to go:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/travel-cases/

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LostLiggage said:

Thanks for help about missing luggage. Not sure if mine went swimming or is just missing. 

what I know is based on this thread I have soured on Cunard to the point I will be canceling our planning April 27 sailing from Southampton to New York. Cunard total lack of communication and compassion is unacceptable. 

We feel exactly the same.  We also have some already booked Cunard cruise from NY to Southampton, which we think about cancelling.

Incidents, happen, that's life...  The real and huge problem here is how Cunard handled the situation.  Exactly as you say: total lack of communication and compassion.  And I would add any sense of responsibility.  It appears to us that nobody simply cares.

However...  I kind of doubt that Princess, for example, or any other liner under Carnival leadership would do anything differently - it's their company's leadership and culture problem.  Maybe more expensive companies would handle it differently, or maybe not.  But then you'd have to spend at least two or three times more.  Should we stop buying cruises?

I consider myself lucky - considering I lost one bag entirely.

I just surveyed the contents of the bag that was returned.

As i suspected -- it contained a lot of dark washable clothing.

I am doing laundry using sanitizer and I am hoping many of the items will be ok.  Some of these items are my go to travel wardrobe and could not be easily replaced.

There are shoes damaged beyond repair, a few expensive Johnny Was blouses where the colors bled and those are not salvageable.  The luggage (was brand new) is a mess.  I am going to see if my husband's blazer can be successfully dry cleaned.

My claims for that bag will be relatively small.  The lost bag had the formal wear and some really expensive items. 

It is what it is.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, az85331 said:

Do you know if it even matters what your claim is?  It appears that Cunard's responsibility is just $250.

I doubt that will be the limit.  Chutzpah.  They can recover from the port.  it would be the epitome of bad will  My Chase Sapphire Reserve card gives me 3000 pp per bag.  Chase is secondary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I doubt that will be the limit.  Chutzpah.  They can recover from the port.  it would be the epitome of bad will  My Chase Sapphire Reserve card gives me 3000 pp per bag.  Chase is secondary.

Read the fine print.  From Chase:

Your Checked and Carry–on Baggage each have a maximum benefit up to three thousand ($3,000.00) dollars per Covered Person per Trip. Both include a sub–limit up to five hundred ($500.00) dollars for jewelry and watches and a sub–limit up to five hundred ($500.00) dollars for cameras and other electronic equipment per Covered Person per Trip. The benefit amounts for jewelry, watches, cameras, video recorders, and other electronic equipment are part of and not in addition to the maximum benefit amount. Payment of these benefit amounts reduces and does not increase the maximum benefit.

8 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Read the fine print.  From Chase:

Your Checked and Carry–on Baggage each have a maximum benefit up to three thousand ($3,000.00) dollars per Covered Person per Trip. Both include a sub–limit up to five hundred ($500.00) dollars for jewelry and watches and a sub–limit up to five hundred ($500.00) dollars for cameras and other electronic equipment per Covered Person per Trip. The benefit amounts for jewelry, watches, cameras, video recorders, and other electronic equipment are part of and not in addition to the maximum benefit amount. Payment of these benefit amounts reduces and does not increase the maximum benefit.

so $6000 - we do not have cameras or jewelry  or electronic equipment

that will almost cover my lost bag if Cunard does not step up to the plate

It's the morning after.

I did 6 loads of laundry and a ton of hand wash

I have lost "relatively" little because of the nature of the contents of the bag.  I have photos to prove the losses in that bag.

It could have been a lot worse.

What does not come out are what looks like rust stains -- not even with bleach and enzyme stain removers.  The pictures that were posted by az85331 show a lot of rust stains.  I only had 3 garments so affected.

Now to put together the claim and try to find out where to file it.

My TA trying to get me the name of the person to whom I can submit the claim.

Edited by bitob
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, bitob said:

It's the morning after.

I did 6 loads of laundry and a ton of hand wash

I have lost "relatively" little because of the nature of the contents of the bag.  I have photos to prove the losses in that bag.

It could have been a lot worse.

What does not come out are what looks like rust stains -- not even with bleach and enzyme stain removers.  The pictures that were posted by az85331 show a lot of rust stains.  I only had 3 garments so affected.

Now to put together the claim and try to find out where to file it.

My TA trying to get me the name of the person to whom I can submit the claim.

I'm happy a few of the items were salvagable from that bag, but bummed that the other bag was not retrieved. I hope Cunard does right by you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My TA believes Cunard will step up to the plate.

We shall see.

I totaled up the losses from the 2 bags it is approximately $8000.

I had a lot of very expensive stuff that was damaged or lost entirely.

The lost bag had all the formal wear.

I believe that it is possible to remove rust stains from clothes - suggestions I have seen include soaking in lemon juice sprinkled with salt, or baking soda, and there are rust removal liquids that can be bought from some of the companies that make laundry liquids too, that you use alongside the usual detergents - perhaps this is helpful, and worth trying rather than throwing out the clothes immediately.

Rust being iron oxide won't be removed with bleach or enzyme stain removers.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
Added sentence

51 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

I believe that it is possible to remove rust stains from clothes - suggestions I have seen include soaking in lemon juice sprinkled with salt, or baking soda, and there are rust removal liquids that can be bought from some of the companies that make laundry liquids too, that you use alongside the usual detergents - perhaps this is helpful, and worth trying rather than throwing out the clothes immediately.

Rust being iron oxide won't be removed with bleach or enzyme stain removers.

Ironically a Cunard sweatshirt has rust stains.  Do I really want to save it?  I will try the lemon juice and salt.