St. Petersburg to Miami

Empehi

What would be the best way to get to Miami for a cruise from St. Petersburg, FL on the day of the cruise ( a Saturday in March 2024).

Would you drive or fly?

We have a party the night before that will not end until around 10PM so thus the dilemma.

Thanks for any thoughts in the matter.

e

If is a little under 4 hours' drive. I would not dream of leaving any time 7:15 am or later to account for traffic, accidents, etc. There are not alot of alternative routes, and a single accident could totally destroy your plans. That 7:15 is out of the driveway, not "ok, time to go." 

Flying would not save much overall time, especially if you were driving to the airport and parking. If the airline delayed the flight, that's beyond your control, with few options.

Skip the party on Saturday night and drive down on Saturday morning. Stay at a Miami hotel overnight and then drive over to the Port Of Miami on embarkation day. Secure your vehicle at the parking lot and enjoy your cruise.

Note that the 7:15 time MiGHT allow for a very brief gas-only stop, pay at pump. You also need to allow time for parking at Miami (assuming you are using port parking- I wouldn't touch it using a rental, nor on a weekday or heavy holiday travel day.

I'd fly. I live in Orlando and typically fly to Miami cruises since less than one hour and you're there. But we've driven it before many times too but Orlando is closer to Miami than St Pete is. We now have another option from Orlando, the Brightline higher speed train which goes from Orlando International Airport to downtown Miami. Current fares are $79 per person each way.

Coming from St. Pete you will need to leave at least by 5:45am depending on how deep into St. Pete you are and you need to allow for fog or an accident on the Skyway. We always leave at 7am from Sarasota and that is a 30 minute breakfast stop and a 15 minute bathroom stop at the 2nd rest area on Alligator Alley.