Westerdam March 30th 2024

nicenurse22

Hi, occasional cruiser but never cruised with HAL before and first time to Japan (doing some land content before cruise) a few questions please:

Can I get room service on Westerdam for all meals to the cabin? Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Do they charge for this service? What is the weather likely to be in March/April off the coast of Japan? Suitable for swimming in the pool?

Is the sea known to be rough? I have a balcony cabin but wonder if it will be warm enough to use it? 

What are the drink prices like? I don’t think a drinks package would be worth it. Do they charge for juice or soda with lunch or  dinner? Is there somewhere to get a coffee or water between meals without charge? 
Are there any tender ports on this cruise? 
Very happy to hear any tips or things to avoid for this ship. 
😊💐

32 minutes ago, nicenurse22 said:

Can I get room service on Westerdam for all meals to the cabin? Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Do they charge for this service?

I haven't been to Japan, so can't answer those particular questions, but Room Service meals on all HAL ships are offered 24/7 and mostly complimentary. There are a few items on the room service menu with extra charges and they are clearly noted. The only other $ is if you choose to tip the waiter (always a nice thing to do!).

Also the Lido pool has a retractable roof, which they close in cool/rainy weather so you can swim even then.

No charge on the ship for regular coffee, tea, some juices, milk, lemonade, iced tea.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by jljcruise
  • Like 1

You have two potential Roll Calls (the long one should have been broken down to its components per Cruise Critic protocol, but slipped by).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2913162-march-30-april-27-2024-hal-westerdam-28-day-japan-explorer-discovery-collector/#comment-64772774

and

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2912998-march-30-april-13-2024-westerdam-japan-explorer-14-days/#comment-64769163

Sodas and "squeezed" juice cost at all meals, I believe. There are juice-beverages at breakfast. I don't partake so anybody is welcome to correct me. 

3 hours ago, PalmSprings said:

I would say the average cocktail/glass wine price is in the $10-13 range.

To op. These are USD prices. USD13 is about AUD20. Wine prices are really OTT nowadays.

Unless you drink a lot the drinks package would not be worth it. On my recent HAL cruises (Alaska June, Syd/Sng Januaury) I had the occasional glass of wine but mostly had water with meals. I made an exception during happy hours and went for cocktails in the Crows Nest.

Edited by lyndarra
added info
  • Thanks 1