Yellow Fever Vaccine?

SophieM

When did YF vax become recommended for South America?  Only ask because I went to Argentina and Brazil back in the 90's (for work) and was not advised to get YF vax.  Company's TA was good about tracking these things for us.

8 hours ago, ratflinger said:

When did YF vax become recommended for South America?  Only ask because I went to Argentina and Brazil back in the 90's (for work) and was not advised to get YF vax.  Company's TA was good about tracking these things for us.

We took a South American cruise in 2004 and it was "recommended" then for Brazil.  Just to be on the safe side we got one.

As far as I have just read on the CDC website, yellow fever vaccines (only one dose is currently considered to be good for a lifetime...this was not the case a few years ago) are recommended for those visiting in particular parts of Brazil, not just the country in general.

9 hours ago, ratflinger said:

As @Psoquesays, recommendations can vary for the same country depending on whether you'll be in the wilderness vs solely urban areas. At least this has been the case for us in Central and South America and in Asia

Edited by babysteps

This is the exact text from the CDC website:  The recommendation is geographically specific.  It does not necessarily depend on whether you are in a city or in the outlying areas.

Recommended for travelers ≥9 months old going to the states of Acre, Amapá, Amazonas, Distrito Federal (including the capital city, Brasília), Espírito Santo,* Goiás, Maranhão, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, Minas Gerais, Pará, Paraná,* Piauí, Rio de Janeiro (including the city of Rio de Janeiro and all coastal islands),* Rio Grande do Sul,* Rondônia, Roraima, Santa Catarina,* São Paulo (including the city of São Paulo and all coastal islands),* Tocantins, and designated areas of Bahia*. Vaccination is also recommended for travelers going to Iguaçu Falls. Not recommended for travel limited to any areas not listed above, including the cities of Fortaleza and Recife *In 2017, in response to a large YF outbreak in multiple eastern states, CDC expanded its vaccination recommendations for travelers going to Brazil. The expanded YF vaccination recommendations for these states are preliminary. For updates, refer to the CDC Travelers’ Health website.

7 hours ago, Psoque said:

Recommended for travelers ≥9 months old going to the states of Rio de Janeiro (including the city of Rio de Janeiro and all coastal islands), Vaccination is also recommended for travelers going to Iguaçu Falls.

We hit these spots in 2004, thus the vaccination. 

• 4 weeks later...

It also depends on which countries you visit. Obviously not on a cruise but for several safaris in Zimbabwe last month, we had to get a second yellow fever shot after first over 40 years ago. Zimbabwe requires a shot within the last ten years if you travel there through a country which has yellow fever. Since we flew via Ethiopia with a stop over there, we had to have a second shot. I’m 70 and my brother 73 and we had no adverse affects at all, didn’t feel anything after the shot. Zimbabwe is one of only a few countries that requires this. Best to check. The safaris were great!  Looking forward to TA on Sirena March 2024. 

• Thanks 1