Best ports to see wildlife/ scenery in NZ

luckybecky

Some options you may consider looking into:- 

Tiritiri Matangi Island is a great option from Auckland.
Waitomo Caves and The Kiwi House from Tauranga
Cape Coast Wineries Self-Guided Scenic Bike Tour from Napier
ZEALANDIA Ecosanctuary from Wellington
Akaroa Dolphins 〜 Harbour Nature Cruise from Christchurch.
Peninsula Encounters + Wildlife Cruise - from Dunedin

Enjoy your time in New Zealand

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:33 AM, luckybecky said:

Sorry, I know my thread title is overly broad. Let me explain. We are doing a cruise in March that includes several ports in New Zealand -- a bucket list destination for us. We want to get the most out of this but also have to watch our budget. We are doing a B2B totaling 25 days with many ports. Excursions could easily run into thousands of dollars.

So I'm looking at doing many of these ports on our own. And from my research (admittedly limited so far as we have only recently booked this cruise) it seems that many of our ports are do-able on our own. It appears that in most of these ports we could get off the ship and into city center relatively easily and find many wonderful things to do.

But as charming as the art deco architecture in Napier or punting on the Avon in Christchurch sound, we do not want to spend all our time in towns and never see the incredible scenery and wildlife that we have dreamed about. We are going to have to pick and choose carefully in order to maintain a reasonable budget for excursions.

So long story short, of the following ports, does anyone have suggestions for must see scenic tours especially wildlife tours? Is there something we just cannot miss in the following ports? FWIW, we are not into Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, and tours related to those really don't interest us.  We are relatively fit for our age (early 60s) and can handle moderately strenuous activities.

Our ports are Auckland (we will arrive a day or two before embarking on our cruise), Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin. 

Any suggestions as to where it would be worth it to splurge on a scenic/wildlife excursion? And which ports would be best to save our money and DIY a city tour? 

Thanks very much for any suggestions. Counting embarkation and debarkation ports, we have a total of 18 ports to research/plan and it's a little overwhelming.

I too am overwhelmed for our upcoming round Australia and New Zealand cruises.  I am planning 20 ports of call and days in Sydney.

Here’s what we are doing in the same ports as your plan.

Turanga - LOTR through a private company.  We aren’t huge fans but it will get us to also see some of the country.

Napier - we are staying close to port on our own and if the weather is nice using the Ocean pools and hot tubs right on the beach.  At little window shopping and lunch too. If it rains the back up is the Natl aquarium there. This will be our 4th day out of 6 in a row and we will be tired so doing something low key sounded good. 

Dunedin - we are taking the train.  Even though we’ve heard it’s not spectacular, again it will get us further into the countryside.  I grabbed it when the tour price was at its lowest. We are actually there twice and the second time we are going to the Larnech Castle for lunch.

In Christchurch we are going to take the bus as we have 12 hours in port to the Antarctic museum.  The second time we are using the ship and going to Hanmer Springs, again getting us further into the country.

I’m still working on Wellington but probably the cable car up to Zealandia.

I have tried to do a mix of ship, independent and on our own tours.  Some ports the cruise line has a monopoly on the independent excursions which is frustrating.  Tours are very expensive compared to Europe or the Caribbean but it is what it is. We may come back but there are many places to see in the world for us yet.  We are trying to hit the highlights.  

Good luck with all your planning.  Our is coming up fast!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I too am overwhelmed for our upcoming round Australia and New Zealand cruises.  I am planning 20 ports of call and days in Sydney.

Here’s what we are doing in the same ports as your plan.

Turanga - LOTR through a private company.  We aren’t huge fans but it will get us to also see some of the country.

Napier - we are staying close to port on our own and if the weather is nice using the Ocean pools and hot tubs right on the beach.  At little window shopping and lunch too. If it rains the back up is the Natl aquarium there. This will be our 4th day out of 6 in a row and we will be tired so doing something low key sounded good. 

Dunedin - we are taking the train.  Even though we’ve heard it’s not spectacular, again it will get us further into the countryside.  I grabbed it when the tour price was at its lowest. We are actually there twice and the second time we are going to the Larnech Castle for lunch.

In Christchurch we are going to take the bus as we have 12 hours in port to the Antarctic museum.  The second time we are using the ship and going to Hanmer Springs, again getting us further into the country.

I’m still working on Wellington but probably the cable car up to Zealandia.

I have tried to do a mix of ship, independent and on our own tours.  Some ports the cruise line has a monopoly on the independent excursions which is frustrating.  Tours are very expensive compared to Europe or the Caribbean but it is what it is. We may come back but there are many places to see in the world for us yet.  We are trying to hit the highlights.  

Good luck with all your planning.  Our is coming up fast!  

If you're looking for some ideas; Christchurch after you've done the Antartic centre.. head back into town (town is only 15-mons from the Port). Get the combo for the Tram and Punting on the Avon. The punting might sound a bit naff.. but it's very picturesque (and they do some good commentary whist doing it). The tram makes its way round the city centre and you can get on and off at places like the Museum, the Arts centre, the new Riverside market, city mall, the botanical gardens (which are rather good) etc (and it goes past the Cathedral which is being rebuilt after the damage from the quakes). Christchurch is named "the garden city" and is rather pretty. Then on the way back to the Port.. go up the Gondola for a nice view over the Peninsula and (at the top there's a very good discovery ride at the top!) I think you can get a tripple combo price.

Wellington - go to Te Papa and see the Anzac display. Sir Peter Jackson of LOTR fame created it and it's exceptional. Very moving too. It's walkable from the cable-car. The cable-car, the gardens at the top and Zealandia are all pretty good. 

Are you fit? lol. Dunedin there's a newly opened cycleway that goes around the Harbour. E-bikes can be hired and when you get to the other side (near Larnach castle), you catch the ferry back over to Port Chalmers. Looks quite pretty (aiming to do it next year, but have driven round that area). 

Hanmer Springs the thermal pools are the main attraction and are nice. Although there's bungy jumping, jet-boating, mountain biking, all sorts of things to do up there. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

If you're looking for some ideas; Christchurch after you've done the Antartic centre.. head back into town (town is only 15-mons from the Port). Get the combo for the Tram and Punting on the Avon. The punting might sound a bit naff.. but it's very picturesque (and they do some good commentary whist doing it). The tram makes its way round the city centre and you can get on and off at places like the Museum, the Arts centre, the new Riverside market, city mall, the botanical gardens (which are rather good) etc (and it goes past the Cathedral which is being rebuilt after the damage from the quakes). Christchurch is named "the garden city" and is rather pretty. Then on the way back to the Port.. go up the Gondola for a nice view over the Peninsula and (at the top there's a very good discovery ride at the top!) I think you can get a tripple combo price.

Wellington - go to Te Papa and see the Anzac display. Sir Peter Jackson of LOTR fame created it and it's exceptional. Very moving too. It's walkable from the cable-car. The cable-car, the gardens at the top and Zealandia are all pretty good. 

Are you fit? lol. Dunedin there's a newly opened cycleway that goes around the Harbour. E-bikes can be hired and when you get to the other side (near Larnach castle), you catch the ferry back over to Port Chalmers. Looks quite pretty (aiming to do it next year, but have driven round that area). 

Hanmer Springs the thermal pools are the main attraction and are nice. Although there's bungy jumping, jet-boating, mountain biking, all sorts of things to do up there. 

Thanks!  These are all great ideas to research.

okay, yes , we did the South Island on a land tour, hiring a camper van and with 3 weeks we didn't see all we wanted to see.  BUT from the ship you can do a couple of things we did (1) in akaroa we did a boat trip to see the tiny dolphins and lots of other wildlife on the way, would recommend. (2) from Dunedin you can book a day tour down to the albatross sanctuary and you will see the New Zealand fur seals as well. and the scenery is gorgeous. Sadly,the fairy penguins in Oamaru are more difficult because you have to be there at dusk, we just walked over from the campsite and pretty much fell over them coming ashore, fab experience. 

I think you will love NZ however you visit, and maybe if you love it enough you can come back and do the land tour everyone is suggesting. go well ....

• Like 2

Here is a breakdown of the wildlife by port that we saw during our cruise of NZ which we thoroughly enjoyed:

DUNEDIN: Otago Peninsula - Royal Albatross Centre - extremely interesting and just stunning scenery

AKAROA: Farm Experience at Paua Bay Sheep Farm - shearing demo, sheep dogs herding and then tea and scones in an utterly beautiful setting

WELLINGTON: no wildlife but special mention to the Te Papa Museum (free) particularly the Gallipoli exhibit.

NAPIER: National Aquarium - booked Close Encounter Penguins tour whereby we had a behind the scenes tour and fed the cutest penguins ever (smallest in the world) - adorable! It is a scenic 15 min walk from Napier's city centre. Also special mention that we took the Hawkes Bay Express little train throughout the city which was great fun to see the charming art deco city centre. 

ROTORUA, (TAURANGA): No wildlife, but thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set - gorgeous scenery that you pass enroute.

p.s. if in AU: Sydney, go to the Taronga Zoo but be sure to book a 'behind the scenes tour' where you get up close and personal with all sorts of wildlife - special for us were the koalas! Went to Heasville Heasville Sanctuary as well in Melbourne and of course in Tasmania, Wings Wildlife Park to see tons of tasmanian devils!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

ROTORUA, (TAURANGA): No wildlife, but thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set - gorgeous scenery that you pass enroute.

Did you do both Rotorua and Matamata (Hobbiton) in the same excursion?

2 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Our ship docked in Tauranga where we took a private tour to Hobbiton with stops at a kiwi farm + McLaren Park.

So you didn’t go to Rotorua at all? Your original post states Rotorua (Tauranga) so I assumed you went to Rotorua as well. 

19 hours ago, possum52 said:

So you didn’t go to Rotorua at all? Your original post states Rotorua (Tauranga) so I assumed you went to Rotorua as well. 

For clarification, the Rotorua (Tauranga) original post was taken from our cruise itinerary.  Many cruise lines show a key destination first and then the port where they dock in parentheses e.g., Rome (Civitavecchia). 

9 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

For clarification, the Rotorua (Tauranga) original post was taken from our cruise itinerary.  Many cruise lines show a key destination first and then the port where they dock in parentheses e.g., Rome (Civitavecchia). 

Yes I understand that. Unfortunately posting like that made it appear you did both destinations of Rotorua and Hobbiton (Matamata). They are in different directions from Tauranga and over an hour’s travel apart. Hobbiton is actually closer to Tauranga than Rotorua. 

22 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes I understand that. Unfortunately posting like that made it appear you did both destinations of Rotorua and Hobbiton (Matamata). They are in different directions from Tauranga and over an hour’s travel apart. Hobbiton is actually closer to Tauranga than Rotorua. 

Yes we are aware of the difference in distances but thank you for restating. Did clarify that we docked at Tauranga - post #34.

• 4 weeks later...

@luckybecky

We are in the same situation as you. We had a TransAtlantic cruise canceled by Virgin Voyages. We were allowed to pick any sailing to replace. The best choice was another similar length cruise. We always wanted to do a road trip in New Zealand, as that's the best way to see the country. 

Virgin Voyages charges double what local tour companies charge, ie markup. I suggest Viator, Shore Excursions Group, Venture Ashore, or Bookatour.co.nz. Keep in mind that these companies use the same tour suppliers as VV. 

We are making the best of it. 

• Thanks 1