Whale watching Icy Strait

abbiep

We will be on Eurodam next Aug.  we are in ISP from 6pm until 10.  I would like to do whale watching and it looks like I will have to go with ship excursion because it doesn’t look like any of the independents go out that late.  I am assuming it will be a large vessel with a lot of people. For those that have done this through ship is my assumption correct?  If so did you enjoy it and feel like there was plenty of room for everyone to see the whales and other sea life?

I've only done an independent tour (Hoonah Adventures or something like that) and it was great. Small boat, not crowded. I think the ship tours use the large two-deck boats, but I'm not sure. Have you tried contact any of the independents to see if they ever do tours a little later for a ship that arrives at 6 PM? 

Here's a review of what sounds like a ship's tour in ISP. The picture shows mostly 2-deck boats. 

Icy Strait Point Whale Watching Tour Review – Cruise Maven

I have done the evening Whale Watch through the ship at ISP, it is done through Allen Marine Tours. Yes it is a nice size catamaran but it’s roomy , lots of ver clear clean windows. Plus viewing on top. I have done many tours with them and never felt crowded and their employees are extremely knowledgeable.

we went the very first sailing when HAL returned to service the last week of July 2021.

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've only done an independent tour (Hoonah Adventures or something like that) and it was great. Small boat, not crowded. I think the ship tours use the large two-deck boats, but I'm not sure. Have you tried contact any of the independents to see if they ever do tours a little later for a ship that arrives at 6 PM? 

Here's a review of what sounds like a ship's tour in ISP. The picture shows mostly 2-deck boats. 

Icy Strait Point Whale Watching Tour Review – Cruise Maven

Thank you. I haven’t checked with them yet but that’s on my to do list tomorrow 

26 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I have done the evening Whale Watch through the ship at ISP, it is done through Allen Marine Tours. Yes it is a nice size catamaran but it’s roomy , lots of ver clear clean windows. Plus viewing on top. I have done many tours with them and never felt crowded and their employees are extremely knowledgeable.

we went the very first sailing when HAL returned to service the last week of July 2021.

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

Thanks. 

We had the best whale watching experience in our lives at Icy Strait Point. Saw many, many pods of whales "bubble netting". I'd had concerns about visibility at dusk, but that did not end up being an issue. Also saw many salmon jumping out of the ocean. Hope you have a wonderful visit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We didn’t do a whale watching excursion in Icy Strait Point (I hear it’s amazing! We did a ww excursion from Juneau that trip) but we were blessed to observe a number of whales from the ship after departing (ymmv). They opened the bow that day. The whole day was magical and so memorable! The resident whale there at ISP made several appearances while we sat by the fire pits near the water.

Edited by syesmar

On 10/11/2023 at 9:07 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

we went the veryfirst sailing when HAL returned to service the last week of July 2021.

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg

Thanks

If it's alright to mention tour companies, I'd like to mention Glacier Wind as a possibility. We've used them twice in the past and they are lovely local people. They have changed to a bit larger boats since we used them, but if available and operating at the hours you are there, I think you would have a great time with them. 

• Like 2

Icy Strait is a better option for whale watching than Juneau from our experiences.  We went with Icy Strait Adventures and had an amazing time on a smaller boat. It's family owned and they did a very nice tour with great access to the whales and photo ops.  We had a whale stick her head up right next to us as the boat sat there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, abbiep said:

Thanks for your replies.   I have decided to go with Jayleen’s In Juneau.  Since this is a short stop we are just going walk around the port and enjoy the scenery.

Me,my daughter,sil and 3 grandchildren went with her last May. Had a wonderful time and she was absolutely fantastic! 

My daughter and granddaughter walked around while there and got some of the donuts behind the main building? . They are the mini donuts with so many flavors and hot! Wonderful! The boys went on a fishing boat. When us girls went back to the ship (RCCL) we went to a lounge to play cards and all of a sudden there were alot of whales swimming and showing of all around the ship! I mean so close you had to stand and look down out the windows to see them. Then you could see all the whale tour boats flying in to see them. We got a free whale show! Honestly, I think either Juneau or Icy Straight Point would be great for seeing whales!

• Like 1