London ( Heathrow) to Southampton ( hotel), National express bus or Train?

jonthomas

I have not taken either going to a cruise but have used both when on B2B for a day outing.

The Bus Terminal is about 1/2 the distance to the port as to Train Station.   We took the train to Windsor and was very efficient.   If I recall it was about 1 1/2 comfortable walk.    Cabs and Uber are readily available for both.

I would check the timing of both and choose the most convenient location and shortest transit time

Edited by Jim_Iain

I have taken National Express from LHR to Southampton a couple of times from terminal 2 and 5.

Check Heathrow website, to see which terminal your plane lands.  Each terminal will tell you where to get National Express.

Purchase your National Express ticket in advance, plan 90 minutes after landing. You can purchase for £5 extra so you can change the time ticket to another bus encase plane late/early.  

The sign on the bus will show the last stop on the bus not Southampton so take a note when booking your ticket.

I always ask the driver before I hand my luggage over to him “Is the Coach going to Southampton”.

Once at Southampton National Express station, walk through the building there is a taxi stand.

www.nationalexpress.com

www.heathrow.com

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

We took the coach in August.  Deflate the option for changing your bus time...it's £5ppmore. Our Tuesday flight was cancelled 3 days before.  We had to find a new flight....different arrival...different terminal.     As phabric pointed out the front of the bus lists the FINAL stop not Southampton.   Trip was fine.