Cancellation of cruise in the Middle East

Hill Country Dakota

My strong recommendation to the those who can’t see past the change of itinerary and have a need for control of what the ship does is this: Do not travel. The contract is what it is. I am on board right now. I am having an amazing time but there are some people who have boarded and are determined to drag others down and haven’t stopped complaining. It’s childish, and is impacting the enjoyment of other guests. Things change. World events occur. Planes cancel flights also. The whole world closed down a couple of years ago.  If you cannot handle change and ambiguity, review your suitability for this kind of voyage and leave it to those of us who appreciate what we have. Anyone who didn’t know that there had been a risk in the Red Sea for the past 25 years did not do their research. The risk is probably lower now with the focus of the whole world on this region. Again, if you’re shocked by this, you shouldn’t be travelling.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Australian Fran said:

My strong recommendation to the those who can’t see past the change of itinerary and have a need for control of what the ship does is this: Do not travel. The contract is what it is. I am on board right now. I am having an amazing time but there are some people who have boarded and are determined to drag others down and haven’t stopped complaining. It’s childish, and is impacting the enjoyment of other guests. Things change. World events occur. Planes cancel flights also. The whole world closed down a couple of years ago.  If you cannot handle change and ambiguity, review your suitability for this kind of voyage and leave it to those of us who appreciate what we have. Anyone who didn’t know that there had been a risk in the Red Sea for the past 25 years did not do their research. The risk is probably lower now with the focus of the whole world on this region. Again, if you’re shocked by this, you shouldn’t be travelling.

Planes cancel flights but provide you with a replacement flight or a credit. Same with most travel during Covid.

Travel risks in the mid-east are not new, nor are cruise contracts. But as a traveler who has followed this same issue in multiple years on ships and on this board, O is handling it differently than most other lines, including making offers then rescinding them.

• Like 3

The contract prevails. The cruise wasn’t cancelled. Essentially, those who require certainty regarding ports should understand that these sorts of changes to ports are always a risk. Airlines have different contracts. It’s a good lesson for those who haven’t experienced these kinds of changes before, Some will decide that the lack of personal control over the itinerary is not for them. Others will see the good in the situation, and there is a lot of good here. I will continue to enjoy this amazing cruise. At home, I would be weeding my garden. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Linda Deenen said:

Not really fair to those people who paid full

price for Pv now is it?

Many times there are upsell offers right before a cruise or upon embarkation, usually at an attractive discount. Nothing new or unfair. You just have to act quickly or know when to ask.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Planes cancel flights but provide you with a replacement flight or a credit. Same with most travel during Covid.

Travel risks in the mid-east are not new, nor are cruise contracts. But as a traveler who has followed this same issue in multiple years on ships and on this board, O is handling it differently than most other lines, including making offers then rescinding them.

Maybe Oceania has handled things differently to other cruise lines, but maybe not in every case.

My concern would be, given NCL’s current financial state,  if all passengers had been refunded, and as some expected, compensated too, then they could very well be looking at insolvency.

That scenario probably would impact far many more people with cruises booked with them right into 2026!

• Like 2

I have to agree O should have looked past its bottom line and made an adjustment to price for those booked on affected cruises regardless of what the contract does or does not require. I am not affected by these current changes but knowing how poorly O handled those on these cruises, my choice for future cruises will be influenced by their actions. For these cruises affected and changed to a basically repositioning cruise, with extended sea days, O should have lowered pricing similar to what they would have charged for a repositioning cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just a reminder, 

Oceania offered an FCC to those of us who called.  
Oceania rescinded their offer. 
Oceania made so many changes that they even changed the name of the cruise from “Holy Land and Arabian Jewels” to “Classic Mediterranean.” Not even close to what I paid $$$$ for. 

On our Viking Los Angeles to Sydney cruise, we missed Melbourne, a port  in New Zealand, and one South Pacific island -all because of weather. Understood. 

IF I had gotten the FCC that was promised to me, I’d  happily be home in California enjoying family and Christmas preparations. 

We are definitely making the best of it. I am not complaining to other passengers, just giving information to potential Oceania passengers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Australian Fran said:

I agree with you entirely! People just don’t seem to understand the nature of the countries they are visiting.

Pleased to hear you’re making the best of a less than ideal situation. I’m sure lots  of other passengers are enjoying it too. Some people are only happy when they are complaining!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pmatawan said:

I have to agree O should have looked past its bottom line and made an adjustment to price for those booked on affected cruises regardless of what the contract does or does not require. I am not affected by these current changes but knowing how poorly O handled those on these cruises, my choice for future cruises will be influenced by their actions. For these cruises affected and changed to a basically repositioning cruise, with extended sea days, O should have lowered pricing similar to what they would have charged for a repositioning cruise.

That is your perogative. You pay your money and you make your choice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Australian Fran said:

It’s childish, and is impacting the enjoyment of other guests. Things change. World events occur. Planes cancel flights also. The whole world closed down a couple of years ago.  If you cannot handle change and ambiguity, review your suitability for this kind of voyage and leave it to those of us who appreciate what we have.  

So that explains why O first offered, then without notice snatched back, it's offer of compensation to concerned customers. 

It's the customers' own fault.

Edited by roninman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarianneBD said:

Just a reminder, 

Oceania offered an FCC to those of us who called.  
Oceania rescinded their offer. 

To me, this is the entire issue, as a change in ports and titling of the cruise is well within contractual rights.

I would add that O misled pax that they had until 30 November to select their next cruise, implying there was time to consider options. One pax reported the Oceania agent told them to, “sleep on it, and call back in the morning,” only to be told the next day the FCC offer had been rescinded. 
Regent only offered their affected pax 25% FCC, so that also is disappointing. 
Seabourn’s website is impossible, I won’t pay a year in advance so Viking’s out, and I can’t find a good itin (in my circs/wants) on Silversea’s website…….

Might just switch to culinary land tours…….

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit
  • Like 4

On 12/1/2023 at 5:47 AM, Australian Fran said:

Anyone who didn’t know that there had been a risk in the Red Sea for the past 25 years did not do their research. The risk is probably lower now with the focus of the whole world on this region. 

US destroyer and commercial ships being attacked on the Red Sea today.

"The attack potentially marked a major escalation in a series of maritime attacks in the Mideast linked to the Israel-Hamas war."

https://www.aol.com/news/pentagon-says-us-warship-multiple-155851994.html

Edited by roninman

2 minutes ago, roninman said:

"The attack potentially marked a major escalation in a series of maritime attacks in the Mideast linked to the Israel-Hamas war."

We just saw this mentioned elsewhere on the news.  Roninman got here before us to post it.

Apparently a "ballistic missile" was fired at a "commercial vessel".  (We are assuming that was more likely a freighter, not a passenger vessel, but still, it only takes once, even if "only" a mistake...)

GC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roninman said:

I saw that also this morning and am glad you shared it. I really believe that there may be people who cruise regularly who are unwilling to not cruise. Whereever they want.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We just saw this mentioned elsewhere on the news.  Roninman got here before us to post it.

Apparently a "ballistic missile" was fired at a "commercial vessel".  (We are assuming that was more likely a freighter, not a passenger vessel, but still, it only takes once, even if "only" a mistake...)

GC

Per a report I saw, one was a bulk carrier and the other a container ship. 

As stated previously, this is not a new issue. It has been going on for decades. If you can’t cope with the risk and are determined to work yourself up into a frenzy, this is not the destination for you ever. Not now, not next year, not 10 years ago. Never.  Please go to Disneyland or some other similar place.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Australian Fran said:

As stated previously, this is not a new issue. It has been going on for decades. If you can’t cope with the risk and are determined to work yourself up into a frenzy, this is not the destination for you ever. Not now, not next year, not 10 years ago. Never.  Please go to Disneyland or some other similar place.

When cruise companies are concerned with visiting ports in Israel, despite missiles being deployed for decades, they are smart and right.

When customers of cruise companies are concerned with cruising seas where missiles are deployed for decades, including today, they are big babies and need to go to Disneyland.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, roninman said:

When cruise companies are concerned with visiting ports in Israel, despite missiles being deployed for decades, they are smart and right.

When customers of cruise companies are concerned with cruising seas where missiles are deployed for decades, including today, they are big babies and need to go to Disneyland.

Well said.

We visited Turkey and Israel about ten years ago. Not a cruise. We wouldn't go now. Ten or 20 years from now? I don't know. But not now.

9 minutes ago, Australian Fran said:

Sarcastic arrogant lecture misses the mark here. It is indeed a new issue in terms of the reneging that Oceania has done on initial promises to offer FCC and the inconsistency with they have handled requests by guests who feel especially unsafe going on a cruise adjacent to a war zone. Basically you got your money back or at least FCC if you contacted the right consumer advocate or you did a charge back on your credit card. If you made a polite request you got nothing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, edgee said:

Sarcastic arrogant lecture misses the mark here. It is indeed a new issue in terms of the reneging that Oceania has done on initial promises to offer FCC and the inconsistency with they have handled requests by guests who feel especially unsafe going on a cruise adjacent to a war zone. Basically you got your money back or at least FCC if you contacted the right consumer advocate or you did a charge back on your credit card. If you made a polite request you got nothing. 

I am on board right now and am really over it with listening to people who are still complaining 15 days in because they either don’t read the contract or don’t do their research on the area. I am having a good time despite those who wish to dominate the cruise with their complaints. If people are so concerned, they shouldn’t have got on in the first place. The amount of whining from a small group of people who are clearly not world travellers isn’t going down well with most people on board who are thoroughly enjoying themselves. The issues in this part of the world aren’t new. If you think they are, you haven’t been paying attention. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Australian Fran said:

I am on board right now and am really over it with listening to people who are still complaining 15 days in because they either don’t read the contract or don’t do their research on the area. I am having a good time despite those who wish to dominate the cruise with their complaints. If people are so concerned, they shouldn’t have got on in the first place. The amount of whining from a small group of people who are clearly not world travellers isn’t going down well with most people on board who are thoroughly enjoying themselves. The issues in this part of the world aren’t new. If you think they are, you haven’t been paying attention. 

In your efforts to discredit other travelers, you are discrediting yourself. Thoughtful travelers realize there is an ebb and flow to events in this region; there are times when it is safer to visit and times when it is best to postpone, reschedule, stay clear.

I’ve visited Egypt 5 times, Israel 3 times and done the Suez canal transit twice. I haven’t been everywhere in this world yet, but I’m working on it. I can say, knowledgeably, that now is not the best time to visit this region (though I would still consider Turkey).

Situation notwithstanding, contract notwithstanding, Oceania has not behaved in the manner they should have toward the passengers on this cruise. Other lines provided better options. Other lines did not make good faith offers and then rescind them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Australian Fran said:

If only all the little people were as experienced global travelers as moi, they would realize corporations promising this or that, and then breaking their promises, are only doing it because of reasons.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1