Visit Suite compared to Princess Mini-Suite

stevenr597

We usually cruise on Princess, and our first choice would be a Club Class Mini suite.  However, we have liked the itinerary on Holland America’s Nieuw Statendam, and we have booked a Vista Class Suite.

Does anybody have any opinions on how these cabins compare..

I have sailed on both Princess Royal Class and HAL Pinnacle Class so my comparison is between those two classes.  Both are lovely but here is my take:

LIVING SPACE:  (win goes to Princess)

- Love the room and the layout of the Princess Mini Suite over the NS Vista Suite.

- Love that you can pull the drapes in the Mini Suite to separate the bedroom and sitting area, and that it has a TV in each section.

- The Vista Suite sitting area is compact but functional.  It is the first area when you enter the room so it is great for dropping your things or putting on shoes when leaving.  There are no drapes to separate the two areas and no additional TV.

BATHROOM:  (win goes to HAL)

- The NS Vista Suite bathroom has a glass walk-in shower vs the step-in bath with shower curtain in the Princess Mini Suite.  Nieuw Statendam wins this category for me.

BALCONY:  (win goes to HAL)

- The NS Vista Suite has a much larger balcony than the Princess Mini Suite.

SHIP:  (win goes to HAL)

- HAL ships are more outward-focused whereas I found Princess to be more inward-focused, essentially losing that connection to the sea.

- HAL’s lido pool area has a retractable roof so it can still be used during inclement weather.  Princess’ lido pool area is open to the elements.

- HAL’s prom is a full 360 whereas you only have a short narrow walk and then you must go inside to get from port to starboard on Princess.  You cannot see forward nor aft on Princess.

I won’t comment on entertainment as that is purely subjective but I will say that they both have their pros and cons. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

However, we have liked the itinerary on Holland America’s Nieuw Statendam, and we have booked a Vista Class Suite.

If you booked through a HAL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC), be on the lookout for a paid upgrade offer beginning about two weeks out from sailing.  It comes via email and is a great way to move up into a Neptune Suite.  You may have already read the threads on this topic, as well as on Club Orange.  They’re well worth the read.

Welcome to Holland America!

• Like 1

Miss G gave a very good overview but I will add if you want to have like Club Mini Suite you will need to book Club Orange ASAP. Then I would booked the lowest level Vista Suite purchase the Club Orange and then select whichever Vista Suite location/category up to  AS category. Unfortunately Club Orange has taken off and much like Club Mini Suites it is sold out early.

Although I am going to add that some things I think Princess is slightly better. Mentioned was balcony size, There are so many variations of balconies on the Newer Princess ships and those balconies are actually bigger than the regular Vista Suites. Many of the larger Balconies are in the Club Mini Suite. Princess truly does have a much better lay out and feels roomier as well as there is more closest space. Bathroom on HAL does have a great walk in shower but the bathroom itself is slightly smaller with counter top, toilet and shower practically touching. Not a lot of room to move around in those bathrooms of the Pinnacle Class ships. There is ever is slightly more room on Princess. 

As for ship it is a tie in my opinion, each has lots of pros and it all depends on your likes and dislikes. I like both ships and for totally different reasons.

• Like 3