Does Anybody Actually Pay Full Price For Their Cruise?

stquentin

32 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

BTW I enjoy your posts!  I hope you realize that I am only trying to clarify my points when I respond - not always as clear as I would hope, I guess.

Likewise -- just friendly conversation.  For this subject, I'm just waiting for the light bulb to go off in my head.  Haha.  

Edited by ldubs

On 10/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, stquentin said:

All the ads I see list this percentage off or that percentage off which begs the question where are these prices coming from? 

On 10/23/2023 at 1:10 PM, lenquixote66 said:

There can always be a lower price than the price you believe to be the lowest.

On 10/24/2023 at 2:32 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

I sure hope no one pays full price, if you are talking about the brochure, undiscounted, with no perks or OBC price.  But you never know.  I am sometimes astounded at how much more some people pay than we do for cruises and quite a few other things. 

It does take a lot of work and math to figure out the true bottom line according to what your priorities are.  

To which I say, Does anybody actually pay full price for a new car? Saturn tried that; there are no Saturn dealers any more. (Yes I realize that wasn't the only factor in GM dissolving Saturn.) But I think there are many similarities in the marketing models between automobile manufacturers and cruiselines.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

To which I say, Does anybody actually pay full price for a new car? Saturn tried that; there are no Saturn dealers any more. (Yes I realize that wasn't the only factor in GM dissolving Saturn.) But I think there are many similarities in the marketing models between automobile manufacturers and cruiselines.

I have no idea.The last car I bought was in 1985.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

It's hard for me to imagine anyone actually being foolish enough to pay full retail for any cruise (I certainly have not), but I'm sure it's happened to someone, somewhere, sometime.

If I shall book a cruise in Sweden I always have to pay the full retail. I'm sure there are exceptions but I have never seen it.

Edited by sverigecruiser

46 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

If I shall book a cruise in Sweden I always have to pay the full retail. I'm sure there are exceptions but I have never seen it.

I'm not sure if I explained myself clearly, so let me take another run at it.  There are at least two "retail" prices the cruise lines use.  One is the regular retail price that you'll see if you book online or if you use a travel agent (though the TA price may already have discounts off of this price).  The other is, as I and some others have mentioned here is also known as the "brochure price".  This was more applicable in the days when cruise lines and the TAs that loved them actually had brochures that they sent out or gave out to people who were interested in cruises.  THAT rate is strictly pie-in-the-sky that exists almost exclusively to be discounted and make the "regular" retail price look good by comparison.   This is the rate that the OP mentioned as full price, and this is the rate that I argued that almost no one pays.

I apologize for the confusion.

30 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The other is, as I and some others have mentioned here is also known as the "brochure price".  This was more applicable in the days when cruise lines and the TAs that loved them actually had brochures that they sent out or gave out to people who were interested in cruises.  THAT rate is strictly pie-in-the-sky

The "brochure price" is what I have to pay if I shall book in Sweden. Maybe it's possible to book for another price but the normal price is the brochure rate.  

• Thanks 2