ACCOMMODATION NEAR CIRCULAR QUAY

G,day All,

Have seen this topic before, but cannot find it. I have some friends from the bush who want to arrive the day before their cruise leaves. They are pensioners and would like to find  reasonably priced accommodation close to the OPT.

Can anyone give me some alternatives to offer them?

Paul 

3 hours ago, bonox55 said:

G,day All,

Have seen this topic before, but cannot find it. I have some friends from the bush who want to arrive the day before their cruise leaves. They are pensioners and would like to find  reasonably priced accommodation close to the OPT.

Paul 

Prices for hotels around the OPT are rather high, better deals to be had around Central. Haymarket or Wynyard. Light Rail down George St. is a breeze to the OPT.

I would agree. Reasonably priced and near OPT are no longer a mutual thing. If they can get out on the rail or light rail and stay at a hotel close to a station for a train or light rail to Circular Quay in the morning, they will be a couple of hundred better off.

We have moved over the bridge to North Sydney view for our next pre-cruise stay. We like it there, and it is above North Sydney station. When we cruise light, we will walk down the hill to Milsons Point and ferry over. With luggage, we will catch a train to Wynyard or Central and then another to double back to Circular Quay. Needing two trains when you are so close is a bit of a detraction, but it is otherwise more reasonably priced than those near CQ.

6 hours ago, bonox55 said:

G,day All,

Paul 

Around Haymarket is fairly reasonable,they can just jump on the tram straight to OPT.

If their from the bush they might like the Great Southern hotel,just next to Central and a tram stop out the front door.

https://greatsouthernhotel.com.au/great-southern-hotel-sydney/

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

I would agree. Reasonably priced and near OPT are no longer a mutual thing. If they can get out on the rail or light rail and stay at a hotel close to a station for a train or light rail to Circular Quay in the morning, they will be a couple of hundred better off.

We have moved over the bridge to North Sydney view for our next pre-cruise stay. We like it there, and it is above North Sydney station. When we cruise light, we will walk down the hill to Milsons Point and ferry over. With luggage, we will catch a train to Wynyard or Central and then another to double back to Circular Quay. Needing two trains when you are so close is a bit of a detraction, but it is otherwise more reasonably priced than those near CQ.

Prior to Covid we always stayed at View North Sydney. Since then we now stay at either Meriton Campbell St or Meriton Kent St. Both so easy to get to the OPT on the light rail.

Lots of eating options around both too!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bonox55 said:

G,day All,

Paul 

What is meant by "reasonbly priced" as it does not necessarily mean cheap? Do your friends have a budget?

Thanks for your input. They are not "hard up" , but with most folks of my generation, they don't want to waste their money on what is just a bed for the night prior to boarding. Seems as though anything near the OPT is out. Will let them know all your thoughts.

Paul 

Another  one for the Great Southern Hotel. The light rail to Circular Quay stops right opposite the hotel. It is quite easy with luggage. There are no steps and  a place to sit with your suitcases right inside the door. You can use a credit card to tap on and off on the light rail.

The hotel is older but well maintained and very clean. Lots of cruisers use it.

• Like 1

If they are coming in by train than somewhere near Central would be cheaper and as mentioned there is either the train to Circular Quay or the light rail. Alternatively, Green square and Mascot have some cheaper options, and are on the train line.

• Like 1