Morimoto Pop-Up Restaurant

FlyingCruiser2

We are on the Nov 4th Koingsdam cruise, and the Morimoto dining now shows up to book on Wednesday while we are docked in San Fransico. We dock overnight there and for the $130 per couple they want we can do much better by dining on land at Fisherman's Wharf. We will pass.

• Like 7

I got an email today from HAL inviting us to opening night of this new restaurant on our Koingsdam cruise on Nov 4th.  It says the price is $55pp but when I go to book it the price is $64.50pp. I looked at the sample menu and it was not all that great and I would have booked at $55 but not $64.50, sounds like a bait and switch to me.

image.png.3b425bfb4b8af868e27d05f546f75c70.png

Edited by terrydtx

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I got an email today from HAL inviting us to opening night of this new restaurant on our Koingsdam cruise on Nove 4th.  It says the price is $55pp but when I go to book it the price is $64.50pp. I looked at the sample menu and it was not all that great and I would have booked at $55 but not $64.50, sounds like a bait and switch to me.

image.png.3b425bfb4b8af868e27d05f546f75c70.png

I think it includes the San Francisco restaurant tax that the ship has to charge when it is in port in San Francisco.  If the ship is out to sea it would probably be $55.  Too bad they decided to introduce the “pop up” in San Francisco where we have to pay San Francisco taxes.

3 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I think it includes the San Francisco restaurant tax that the ship has to charge when it is in port in San Francisco.  If the ship is out to sea it would probably be $55.  Too bad they decided to introduce the “pop up” in San Francisco where we have to pay San Francisco taxes.

That would make the tax 18%, is that right?  If so we will not eat on shore that night either, that tax is highway robbery.  Might also be 18% gratuity for the reservation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Calm down, this is not true!  The Morimoto on HAL is $55 plus 18% gratuity which equals $64.90!  Same price as Rudy's Sel de Mer.

San Francisco does have some restaurant taxes just like many big cities.  It's all part of the cost of dining out unfortunately.

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

That would make the tax 18%, is that right?  If so we will not eat on shore that night either, that tax is highway robbery.  Might also be 18% gratuity for the reservation.

There is not an 18% restaurant tax in San Francisco.  That is the gratuity on HAL for specialty restaurants and beverages purchased.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

There is not an 18% restaurant tax in San Francisco.  That is the gratuity on HAL for specialty restaurants.

~Nancy

The email is deceptive it should say $55 plus 18% gratuity.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

The email is deceptive it should say $55 plus 18% gratuity.

Yes, it should!  What does the asterisk on the email after the price refer to?

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Yes, it should!  What does the asterisk on the email after the price refer to?

~Nancy

Since you live in SF will Dungeness crab season start by Nov 7th when we will be there on the Koingsdam? I would prefer to get some crab at Fisherman's Wharf if available.

15 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

On our Nov 18 cruise, the pop up is on a sea day.

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

Added to say that there may still be some available at the Wharf but it will be from further north if their season does start on time.  I absolutely love the Dungeness Crab when it's fresh!  Good Luck!

~Nancy

My Wife and I both are Oregon State alums and while in school we made many trips to Newport Oregon for fresh boiled Dungeness crabs. We still prefer Dungeness crab to anything from Alaska and all we can get here in Texas is frozen Dungeness CRAB WHICH JUST IS NOT the same.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

There is not an 18% restaurant tax in San Francisco.  That is the gratuity on HAL for specialty restaurants and beverages purchased.

~Nancy

On a previous cruise to SF after eating in the Pinnacle and my trying to figure out the extra charge, HAL Guest Relations explained the add on charge as a San Francisco tax.