Carnival Pools

tomcatguy74

Hey everyone,

We went on the Celebration a few months ago and found that the pools on that ship were freshwater. It was so amazing how much more fun those pools were without saltwater in them. 

That being said, have all the Carnival ships converted over to fresh water yet?

Thanks! 

Shipboard potable water (drinking, bathing, whirlpools, etc.) either comes from a shoreside water treatment plant or is generated on board from seawater via Reverse Osmosis systems or Evaporators. Swimming pool water is typically seawater.

Our potable water is regulated by the Centers for Disease Control U.S Public Health Service Vessel Sanitation Program (CDC-USPH-VSP). Among various other requirements, the water on board is halogenated to USPH standards, regardless of where/how the water is obtained.

Additional requirements must be followed to maintain whirlpool and swimming pool sanitation. As per USPH, Chlorine levels need to be between 3-10mg. The water is drained out and loaded a few times during the cruise but it may depend on restrictions the ship is subject to as far where and when they can discharge water into the sea. It cannot be done in the home ports so it is typically done before arrival, if the itinerary permits. .

USPH inspects each of our vessels twice per year to ensure compliance with these standards as well as other USPH requirements. These inspections are publically available on the CDC’s website.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomcatguy74 said:

We went on the Celebration a few months ago and found that the pools on that ship were freshwater. It was so amazing how much more fun those pools were without saltwater in them. 

Fresh water would be nice.  However, I spent 2 weeks cruising a B2B on the same ship, in the (saltwater) pools and would have never known the pools were salt water had I not learned prior.  The pools are only typically about 25 feet wide by 45 feet across and 4 feet deep, so swimming is not an asset.  Mostly just keeping cool and telling stories and lies amongst each other while enjoying a cocktail. 

So, now scratching my head why these pools would be so amazing and how much more fun those pools would be without saltwater in them.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tomcatguy74 said:

I should have been more clear on the question.  

Has Carnival converted the pools to freshwater on the other ships.  

Only the new ships have freshwater.

Personally speaking I prefer the salt water pools. Better for the skin and much easier to float on your back without your legs sinking down. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Fresh water would be nice.  However, I spent 2 weeks cruising a B2B on the same ship, in the (saltwater) pools and would have never known the pools were salt water had I not learned prior.  The pools are only typically about 25 feet wide by 45 feet across and 4 feet deep, so swimming is not an asset.  Mostly just keeping cool and telling stories and lies amongst each other while enjoying a cocktail. 

I was able to swim underwater laps in Horizon's aft pool in the evenings after most of the folks had cleared out.  It was deeper than 4 feet, close to 5 in fact.  

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

So, now scratching my head why these pools would be so amazing and how much more fun those pools would be without saltwater in them.

I really wish the pools onboard (but not the hot-tubs) were saline pools, instead of chlorinated, or full-content seawater.  Saline pools DO have some salt content, but not as much as seawater.   It's not as bad on your eyes (although I wear a mask or goggles) and not as injurious to swimsuits or swim jammers.  

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I was able to swim underwater laps in Horizon's aft pool in the evenings after most of the folks had cleared out.  It was deeper than 4 feet, close to 5 in fact.  

I really wish the pools onboard (but not the hot-tubs) were saline pools, instead of chlorinated, or full-content seawater.  Saline pools DO have some salt content, but not as much as seawater.   It's not as bad on your eyes (although I wear a mask or goggles) and not as injurious to swimsuits or swim jammers.  

With all the kids and beer drinks, we need more chlorine! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

With all the kids and beer drinks, we need more chlorine! 

All the kids and beer drinkers is how the pool stays full all day.  That's how they compensate for water splashing out, being taken out in wet suits and evaporation.🤢

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2