Noordam aft cabin deck 4 or deck 8?

momrox1

We are planning a 14 day Japan tour next October.  The aft cabins available are Deck 4 4178 or 4183 . These look shorter than other balcony cabins because the suites cut into the layout.  Our other choice is Deck 8 8136 (which I have on hold) 8134 8141 and 8145.

Upon doing research I have found comments about deck 4 having alot of vibration (and not in a good way) from the ships engine.  I have read that Deck 8 has people directly above who can see below into the balcony which doesn't bother me.  My concern is the pool above me and chair scraping but I'm figuring with the weather being on the cooler side it should not be a problem.  Anyone stay in any of these cabins and want to share your experience/thoughts?

Thank you!

We  were in 4176 on Noordam in February.   Have never had problems with noises or vibrations, as we always choose an aft cabin on either deck 4 or 5, if available.

Deck 5 on the Vista ships has a nice overhang, making it shaded and private.  We could look down on deck 4 cabins (Oosterdam 5188 last month), but only when they stood at  the railing.  

I have read of chair noise problems on deck 8, so I would not choose that.  

• Like 1

I prefer deck 8 for the access to the Lido.   There is some noise when they pick up the chairs in the evening and replace them in the morning. We are early risers so it has never bothered us and are usually at dinner when they pick them up.  Noise has never been a problem during the day.  Here is a picture looking over our deck on the Zuiderdam (sister ship) during a Panama Canal cruise.  You can see how the decks step out.IMG_5037.thumb.jpeg.009942e12ee32b5b97e327f241edc2cd.jpeg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, momrox1 said:

We are planning a 14 day Japan tour next October.  The aft cabins available are Deck 4 4178 or 4183 . These look shorter than other balcony cabins because the suites cut into the layout.  Our other choice is Deck 8 8136 (which I have on hold) 8134 8141 and 8145.

Upon doing research I have found comments about deck 4 having alot of vibration (and not in a good way) from the ships engine.  I have read that Deck 8 has people directly above who can see below into the balcony which doesn't bother me.  My concern is the pool above me and chair scraping but I'm figuring with the weather being on the cooler side it should not be a problem.  Anyone stay in any of these cabins and want to share your experience/thoughts?

Thank you!

Any vibration in aft cabins is unlikely to be from the engines, as they are installed with vibration dampeners and are further fwd. Aft vibration is usually cavitation or aft thruster operation. In addition to the potential for noise and vibration in aft cabins, you also have more movement, with the movement increasing the further the distance from the ship's CoG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have stayed in both 4176 and 4183 multiple times. I have not been bothered by noise during any stay.

I purposely moved from deck 8 for this month and next month to get away from the pool even though the daily deck chair dance doesn't last for long, it can be at the wrong time.

With that said, we booked on 8 because it was the only true aft available and we knew we could switch it if we saw something come open, but would have kept 8 if we had to.

• Like 1

The 4th deck corner balcony is HUGE.  We have had it 3 times and wish we got it for next trip.  Had to get 6th instead.  It is deeper than other decks. 

absolutely a fantastic location and I’ve never had issues of vibration. 

Edited by alwaysfrantic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Corner aft are Neptune Suites however.  V4178 and V4183 are veranda cabins.

image.png.7871a2f457e87cb9a394d0b57de226c7.png

Correct - our first AK cruise, we were in 4180 and of course loved it. We have also stayed next door in 4178 and 4176 and 4183 multiple times.

4178 and 4183 are a tad wider and shorter as shown on the deck plan. The extra width is nice.

None are bad - they're aft cabins!

• Like 1